Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 5, '12, 10:29 am

Religion: Roman Catholic, Benedictine Oblate (St-Benoît-du-Lac)
Default Re: Traditional Music for Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo Gratias42 View Post
Since you can't have a catholic funeral with Eagles Wings, I recommend the tract from the the first Sunday in Lent from the 1962 missal. It's psalm 90
Tell me you're kidding!

First of all this tract is still in the post-Vatican II 1974 Graduale Romanum, the official chant book of the Church. It is sung every year at our abbey on the first Sunday of Lent at the OF Mass.

However, sung in its entirety it is nearly 15 minutes long, and of a complexity putting it out of reach of all but seasoned Gregorian chant scholas.

Why not just pick up a copy of the Graduale (I think you can find it on line) and do the funeral Mass in it? Most of it is doable, our amateur schola has done it often. It does not contain the Dies Irae, but has everything else.
Old Mar 5, '12, 10:44 am

Religion: Catholic

- The King of Love My Shepherd Is (St. Columba tune) - has always been one of my favorite hymns for funerals

- I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say (Kingsfold tune)

- Lord of All Hopefulness (Slane tune)

- Abide With Me (I never heard this hymn until for my husband's 96-year-old grandfather's funeral a couple years back. He was one of the most devout Catholics I knew. He was also in seminary before needing to leave to help take care of his family after his own father passed away suddenly. It's not a "Catholic" hymn, but the text was moving, especially the last verse.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw5TtwJFIKU

Two things outside of the hymn sphere:

If your church has an organist who is a good musician and if you can find a good mezzo-soprano or good boy alto (NOT a soprano. It's not written for a soprano), I also recommend Durufle's "Pie Jesu". The organ part isn't particularly difficult and you don't need the cello. I can send you the music if you like it and would like the music. I've had to sing it for three of my family members' funerals over the past few years. The entire Requiem mass was composed in 1947 in memory of Durufle's father and he does an incredible job incorporating the chants into the choral parts.

The little boy has one or two little blips, but he does a sweet job with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze0gE...eature=related

Or the Faure "Pie Jesu" from his Requiem mass. The organ accompaniment for this is not that difficult either. I also have the music for this, although many organists I know usually have this in their repertoire. A soprano or a "high" mezzo-soprano can do this. Originally written for boy singers, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTf14maKtT8
Old Mar 5, '12, 11:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabande View Post
- The King of Love My Shepherd Is (St. Columba tune) - has always been one of my favorite hymns for funerals

- I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say (Kingsfold tune)

- Lord of All Hopefulness (Slane tune)

- Abide With Me (I never heard this hymn until for my husband's 96-year-old grandfather's funeral a couple years back. He was one of the most devout Catholics I knew. He was also in seminary before needing to leave to help take care of his family after his own father passed away suddenly. It's not a "Catholic" hymn, but the text was moving, especially the last verse.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw5TtwJFIKU

Two things outside of the hymn sphere:

If your church has an organist who is a good musician and if you can find a good mezzo-soprano or good boy alto (NOT a soprano. It's not written for a soprano), I also recommend Durufle's "Pie Jesu". The organ part isn't particularly difficult and you don't need the cello. I can send you the music if you like it and would like the music. I've had to sing it for three of my family members' funerals over the past few years. The entire Requiem mass was composed in 1947 in memory of Durufle's father and he does an incredible job incorporating the chants into the choral parts.

The little boy has one or two little blips, but he does a sweet job with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze0gE...eature=related

Or the Faure "Pie Jesu" from his Requiem mass. The organ accompaniment for this is not that difficult either. I also have the music for this, although many organists I know usually have this in their repertoire. A soprano or a "high" mezzo-soprano can do this. Originally written for boy singers, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTf14maKtT8
These are wonderful music choices. Incidently, all these hymns - not just Abide with me - were written by Anglicans, apart from I heard the voice of Jesus Say written by a Presbyterian, but they are all perfectly suitable for a Catholic funeral (and far superior to On Eagles Wings which I have just listened to for the first - and hopefully last - time!)

Pie Jesu is just sublime when sung by a boy choirister. Thankk you for the links.
Old Mar 5, '12, 11:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by liturgyluver View Post
These are wonderful music choices. Incidently, all these hymns - not just Abide with me - were written by Anglicans, apart from I heard the voice of Jesus Say written by a Presbyterian, but they are all perfectly suitable for a Catholic funeral (and far superior to On Eagles Wings which I have just listened to for the first - and hopefully last - time!)

Pie Jesu is just sublime when sung by a boy choirister. Thankk you for the links.
I know... Anglicans really knew/knows how to write a good hymn. I'm a total anglophile with almost all things. haha! It's just that you rarely ever see "Abide With Me" in Catholic hymnals. I actually had to use one of my Anglican hymnals for the music when I sang it for the funeral.

"On Eagle's Wings"... well, I have to sing it at almost every funeral here in the States, so I have to find the good things with it... mainly the text... and do my job with it.
Old Mar 5, '12, 11:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by OraLabora View Post
Tell me you're kidding!

First of all this tract is still in the post-Vatican II 1974 Graduale Romanum, the official chant book of the Church. It is sung every year at our abbey on the first Sunday of Lent at the OF Mass.

However, sung in its entirety it is nearly 15 minutes long, and of a complexity putting it out of reach of all but seasoned Gregorian chant scholas.

Why not just pick up a copy of the Graduale (I think you can find it on line) and do the funeral Mass in it? Most of it is doable, our amateur schola has done it often. It does not contain the Dies Irae, but has everything else.
I am serious. 15 minutes, eh? Our priest informed us before Mass it was a "longer tract, about 5 minutes" and an "excellent opportunity to meditate". I though that was a long 5 minutes.
Old Mar 5, '12, 11:50 am

Religion: Catholic, through and through

Quote:
I am serious. 15 minutes, eh? Our priest informed us before Mass it was a "longer tract, about 5 minutes" and an "excellent opportunity to meditate". I though that was a long 5 minutes.
It still might have been close to 5 minutes. My schola director says that if you sing it at a good pace for chant, according to the solemes method, it should only take about 7 minutes. So you still might have only been there close to 5 minutes. Maybe he just didn't want to scare everyone!
Old Mar 5, '12, 12:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by superamazingman View Post
It still might have been close to 5 minutes. My schola director says that if you sing it at a good pace for chant, according to the solemes method, it should only take about 7 minutes. So you still might have only been there close to 5 minutes. Maybe he just didn't want to scare everyone!
I think he just doesn't have a good sense of time. His announcements are also most as long as his sermons.
Old Mar 5, '12, 12:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by superamazingman View Post
The abbey I am affiliated with is part of the Solesmes congregation and our choirmaster is a former choirmaster at Solesmes. I've timed the tract on a couple of occasions (it is chanted every year) and the best time was just over 14 minutes.

I think it would be a major challenge for the average parish choir.
Old Mar 5, '12, 12:33 pm

Quote:
The abbey I am affiliated with is part of the Solesmes congregation and our choirmaster is a former choirmaster at Solesmes. I've timed the tract on a couple of occasions (it is chanted every year) and the best time was just over 14 minutes.

Maybe I misheard him then.
Old Mar 5, '12, 12:34 pm

Quote:

With kind of attitude it is.
Old Mar 5, '12, 1:48 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Since you can't have a catholic funeral with Eagles Wings, I recommend the tract from the the first Sunday in Lent from the 1962 missal. It's psalm 90
It would be a Catholic funeral with "Eagle's Wings". That is not the problem. The problem is that instead of looking alternately at the ceiling and his watch as he had at countless previous funerals while he endured that hated song, this time the deceased would knock the cover off of his casket in order to stoutly confirm that not even over his dead body does he ever want to hear that song again!!

Song selections don't have to be in Latin, although he did study Latin throughout high school. Songs just need to be something he might have heard in childhood and would have selected for his own father's funeral. I'm looking for sentimental favorites, I guess.
Old Mar 5, '12, 2:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasterJoy View Post
It would be a Catholic funeral with "Eagle's Wings". That is not the problem. The problem is that instead of looking alternately at the ceiling and his watch as he had at countless previous funerals while he endured that hated song, this time the deceased would knock the cover off of his casket in order to stoutly confirm that not even over his dead body does he ever want to hear that song again!!

Song selections don't have to be in Latin, although he did study Latin throughout high school. Songs just need to be something he might have heard in childhood and would have selected for his own father's funeral. I'm looking for sentimental favorites, I guess.
There was a typo in what I posted. It should have said, "It WOULDN'T be a catholic funeral without Eagles Wings." I wasn't suggesting the actual song, but rather the psalm it loosely based off of in haunting gregorian chant.
Old Mar 5, '12, 2:33 pm

Quote:
With kind of attitude it is.
Well perhaps if there's several months to rehearse it. Seriously, it's not an easy chant to master. Perhaps if one sticks to a few verses.
Old Mar 6, '12, 5:24 am

Religion: Catholic - Easter 2000

Nothing written after 1960....

However, I am entranced by Steven Janco's "In paradisum". It has become the hymn of choice as the casket leaves the altar. Either I sing and play it, or the cantor and I sing it together with an organ voicing. It is the exception to my desire/rule.
Old Mar 6, '12, 7:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmitton View Post
Steven Janco's "In paradisum".
http://resources.giamusic.com/mp3s/3392.mp3

I'd just say that the descant sounds like something by Proulx.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments