Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans

Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans Click here to visit this social group

Old Mar 12, '12, 6:02 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Honey

Hi Vegans and Veggies,

I am a new vegan and I confess that the whole honey thing doesn't connect for me. I figure, the bees can leave the hive and go elsewhere, they are not captive... they choose to live there... it is a mutually beneficial relationship. I am much more likely to avoid wool and even silk because it seems much more one-sided. But honey? I would love to hear why you do, or don't, eat honey, and how this is received in the "vegan community" around you.

Peace,

Sister Joy
Old Mar 13, '12, 6:27 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Honey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm0kjp View Post
Hi Vegans and Veggies,

I am a new vegan and I confess that the whole honey thing doesn't connect for me. I figure, the bees can leave the hive and go elsewhere, they are not captive... they choose to live there... it is a mutually beneficial relationship. I am much more likely to avoid wool and even silk because it seems much more one-sided. But honey? I would love to hear why you do, or don't, eat honey, and how this is received in the "vegan community" around you.

Peace,

Sister Joy

Hi Sister Joy - the following web site seems to go into just about every possible answer; http://www.vegetus.org/honey/honey.htm --- I do know some vegans who eat honey others who don't.

Have you tried agave nectar? I actually like it much better than honey, I just find it easier to keep the line clear - no animals or their products ;-)

Blessings,
http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=488
Old May 24, '12, 5:29 am
Observing Member

Default Re: Honey

I'll eat honey, if I can go pet the bees that made the honey. Reason is, unless it was packaged locally, the US gov't had established it doesn't really have to be honey, it can be another sweetener, as long as the nutritional value is similar.
And yes, I have tried agave, and it is good, but it's too floral tasting in certain applications.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans