Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Mar 14, '12, 12:14 am
TEPO's Avatar
TEPO TEPO is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 16, 2009
Posts: 5,316
Religion: post-modern tribal Catholic
Default So I see the Church pulled the plug on Catholic Social Teaching :-/

Can someone please explain to me why the Catholic Charities of St. Paul Minnesota deleted the CST teachings, which went into great detail..? It used to be located at http://www.osjspm.org/majordoc_mater...cial_text.aspx , but is now gone.

The site now looks like this: http://www.osjspm.org/

Now we're only left with the USCCB site http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-tea...l-teaching.cfm, which lists seven themes and thats all... Very vague... Very sad.

It now seems different to me... The message is not the same.

What the heck is going on..!
__________________
religion is the highest school of thought. It isnt a security blanket -it is a platform that allows us to reach beyond the restrictiveness of science, politics and philosophy. There is no other framework of logic that can reach farther.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Mar 14, '12, 12:39 am
justtryin justtryin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: December 13, 2010
Posts: 250
Religion: Catholic & Making Mistakes
Default Re: So I see the Church pulled the plug on Catholic Social Teaching :-/

Is this what you're looking for:


http://www.osjspm.org/page.aspx?pid=441
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Mar 14, '12, 7:48 pm
1ke 1ke is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: May 25, 2004
Posts: 24,258
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: So I see the Church pulled the plug on Catholic Social Teaching :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPO View Post
Can someone please explain to me why the Catholic Charities of St. Paul Minnesota deleted the CST teachings, which went into great detail..?
Can you please explain to me why you think that a private institution needs to explain why it updates it's website, adding, changing, and deleting information as it sees fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPO View Post
It used to be located at http://www.osjspm.org/majordoc_mater...cial_text.aspx , but is now gone.
Hello, people update websites and URLs all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPO View Post
Now we're only left with the USCCB site http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-tea...l-teaching.cfm, which lists seven themes and thats all... Very vague... Very sad.
Why is this "sad"? Why do you believe this is "all" you are left with? Are you not aware that all of the documents related to the Church's social teaching are available on the Vatican's website AND-- gasp-- in actual books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPO View Post
It now seems different to me... The message is not the same.

What the heck is going on..!
What the heck are you talking about?
__________________
Pax, ke

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Mar 15, '12, 4:21 pm
TEPO's Avatar
TEPO TEPO is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 16, 2009
Posts: 5,316
Religion: post-modern tribal Catholic
Default Re: So I see the Church pulled the plug on Catholic Social Teaching :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
Can you please explain to me why you think that a private institution needs to explain why it updates it's website, adding, changing, and deleting information as it sees fit?



Hello, people update websites and URLs all the time.



Why is this "sad"? Why do you believe this is "all" you are left with? Are you not aware that all of the documents related to the Church's social teaching are available on the Vatican's website AND-- gasp-- in actual books?



What the heck are you talking about?

1ke, have you ever needed a quick reference on something, and were unable to find it..?

Let me explain... I was on another thread where CCC 2406 (Political authority has the right and duty to regulate the legitimate exercise of the right to ownership for the sake of the common good), was used in attempt to claim that one has no right to property ownership... That it is not a "right" that any Catholic in good standing can argue for.... It was stated in fact that Catholics have no right to ANYTHING at all outside our duties which include "a duty to preserve your own life, to care for your family, to obey authority, and to worship God".

Now I was trying to find something that I saw before where the Church DOES state that property ownership (such as home ownership) is a right that the Catholic Church acknowledges. I saw it on the site I mentioned in the beginning... I will look for it after I post this...

But besides this 1ke, you claim that "all of the documents related to the Church's social teaching are available on the Vatican's website AND-- gasp-- in actual books". HAH! Everyone knows this. But when the USCCB posts their personal "picks" from the long list of documents -it tends to appeal towards a particular focus -charity towards those in need.

But I'm not looking for charity towards the poor. I'm looking in particular for what I should expect from my government for all the people... Not just the less fortunate.

You understand..?
__________________
religion is the highest school of thought. It isnt a security blanket -it is a platform that allows us to reach beyond the restrictiveness of science, politics and philosophy. There is no other framework of logic that can reach farther.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Mar 15, '12, 4:48 pm
TEPO's Avatar
TEPO TEPO is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 16, 2009
Posts: 5,316
Religion: post-modern tribal Catholic
Default Re: So I see the Church pulled the plug on Catholic Social Teaching :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
Can you please explain to me why you think that a private institution needs to explain why it updates it's website, adding, changing, and deleting information as it sees fit?
I want to know WHO saw it fit, and why... This is because my FAith is on the line. It always has been with CST...

You wish to critique me now -go right ahead.
__________________
religion is the highest school of thought. It isnt a security blanket -it is a platform that allows us to reach beyond the restrictiveness of science, politics and philosophy. There is no other framework of logic that can reach farther.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Mar 16, '12, 4:40 am
St Francis St Francis is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: August 11, 2004
Posts: 10,784
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: So I see the Church pulled the plug on Catholic Social Teaching :-/

Y'know, sometimes you have to do your own research and not expect others to pay for it to be all set out for you. Read the social encyclicals, starting with Rerum Novarum--just run a search for the name--and you will find what you are looking for.
__________________


"The Church is intolerant in principle because she believes; she is tolerant in practice because she loves. The enemies of the Church are tolerant in principle because they do not believe; they are intolerant in practice because they do not love."
-Rev. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange O.P



Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Mar 16, '12, 6:46 am
sw85 sw85 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 22, 2010
Posts: 3,408
Religion: Baptized and confirmed Easter Vigil, 2012
Default Re: So I see the Church pulled the plug on Catholic Social Teaching :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPO View Post
1ke, have you ever needed a quick reference on something, and were unable to find it..?

Let me explain... I was on another thread where CCC 2406 (Political authority has the right and duty to regulate the legitimate exercise of the right to ownership for the sake of the common good), was used in attempt to claim that one has no right to property ownership...
I did not make that argument, and its for precisely this sort of vituperative ignorance that drove me to quit trying to reason with you people.

I said that the right to private property in Catholic social teachings is more limited than rah-rah capitalists claim it is. No less a respected apologist than Edward Feser has made this argument before.
__________________
"[M]istrust is always in order when the greater part of living history must be tossed into the dustbin of old misunderstandings now happily clarified."

-- Pope Benedict XVI --
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8302Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5069CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4352Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: Marla Frances
4035OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: 3DOCTORS
3851SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3611Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3263Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3210Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3190Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3066For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Thomas Choe



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 4:00 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.