Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Mar 15, '12, 2:28 pm

Religion: Catholic. Latin Rite.
Send a message via Skype™ to JD27076
Default Did the Catholic Church break off from the other Apostolic Patriarchates?

This is what I read:
If you are Roman Catholic, your church shared the same rich apostolic and doctrinal heritage as the Orthodox Church for the first thousand years of its history, since during the first millennium they were one and the same Church. Lamentably, in 1054, the Pope of Rome broke away from the other four Apostolic Patriarchates (which include Constantinople, Alexandria, Antioch and Jerusalem), by tampering with the Original Creed of the Church, and considering himself to be infallible. Thus your church is 1,000 years old.

Is this true?

Human life is Sacred. . . Animal life is Special.
Old Mar 15, '12, 3:53 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Did the Catholic Church break off from the other Apostolic Patriarchates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD27076 View Post
This is what I read:
If you are Roman Catholic, your church shared the same rich apostolic and doctrinal heritage as the Orthodox Church for the first thousand years of its history, since during the first millennium they were one and the same Church. Lamentably, in 1054, the Pope of Rome broke away from the other four Apostolic Patriarchates (which include Constantinople, Alexandria, Antioch and Jerusalem), by tampering with the Original Creed of the Church, and considering himself to be infallible. Thus your church is 1,000 years old.

Is this true?
No! Both sides are to blame,not the CC or EO Church...BOTH! Period!
Old Mar 15, '12, 4:19 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian
Default Re: Did the Catholic Church break off from the other Apostolic Patriarchates?

Quote:
This is what I read:

Is this true?
So the Pope of Rome broke away from the other 4, interesting. thank you.
Old Mar 15, '12, 4:33 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

No. Both churches had a schism. You will hear from Orthodox Christians that Catholics broke away from the One Church, and you will hear Catholics say that the Orthodox broke away from the One Church. Fact of the matter is that both sides just simoutaneously split.
Old Mar 15, '12, 4:53 pm
Banned

Just over the change in the Creed?
Old Mar 15, '12, 4:55 pm

No, the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church subsists in the Catholic Church, and always has. The (so-called) Orthodox churches are in schism. Of course, if you read their apologetical propaganda they will argue the opposite, but it's a bit like a Southerner trying to rewrite history to claim that it was the North that seceded.

And while it's true that both sides made political missteps, that should not be taken as saying that the Catholic Church made any theological errors. The theological and ecclesiological errors lie entirely on the side of the (so-called) Orthodox.

Old Mar 15, '12, 5:04 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtosew View Post
Just over the change in the Creed?
No, I believe it was a bit more than that, but I would think that the phrase "and the Son" that was added to the Creed by the Latin Church brought much discomfort to the Eastern Churchs.
Old Mar 15, '12, 5:14 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkThompson View Post
No, the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church subsists in the Catholic Church, and always has.
In other words, the Catholic Church IS the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church and by saying this we can determine that we have the fullness of the Faith. But the Eastern Churchs that identify themselves as Orthodox are still true churchs that can be traced all the way back to the Apostles. And as such, there are elements of the true Church within these churchs although they are not completely within the Catholic Church. Kind of a paradox, I know.

Also in regards to how the schism happened, I would say that the both sides did commit errors in this regard. Now, I'm not saying theological errors but political errors. Yes, even in religion there are politics of some kind.
Old Mar 15, '12, 5:16 pm

Quote:
This is what I read:

Is this true?
No.

There is no doubt that the Orthodox Church is as "Catholic" as it can be without reconciliation with Rome (May God grant that reconciliation comes soon.)

If you accept the Orthodox Church as "the Church" then I think you will find some things that were said about the Bishop of Rome's role in the Church that are difficult to reconcile with that belief.

IMHO, either the Catholic Church is "the Church" or the Church of Christ has failed.

I believe and pray unificaton will come soon.

I think this is why God has prevented "the Orthodox Church" [at least most of it, (I'm not really sure how you define all of "the Orthodox Church" in the absence of Rome?)] from declaring any of their councils post the split ecumenical. If they had, I think that would have made unification a practical impossibility.

Chuck
Take this love, therefore, as the end that is set before you, to which you are to refer all that you say, and, whatever you narrate, narrate it in such a manner that he to whom you are discoursing on hearing may believe, on believing may hope, on hoping may love. - St. Augustine
Old Mar 15, '12, 5:31 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
This is what I read:

Is this true?
No.

Of course ask an Eastern Orthodox he will state otherwise.

It is quite a shame a schism this big occurred. I pray everyday in my life for a full communion someday. Imagine both churches in full communion one day. Think about it. We would be even more worldwide.

Here is a map of the distribution of Catholics Worldwide:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Catholics.png

Here is a map of the distribution of Orthodox Worldwide:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...by_Country.svg

The red parts are oriental orthodox though.

Combine Catholics and Eastern Orthodox population.
All we would need is a few parts of Asia and a bit of Africa and our church would be physically present in all corners of the earth...

Unfortunately, its going to be hard for a unification. But you never know.

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=8776225
Old Mar 15, '12, 5:38 pm

Religion: Ruthenian Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmowry View Post
No.

There is no doubt that the Orthodox Church is as "Catholic" as it can be without reconciliation with Rome (May God grant that reconciliation comes soon.)

If you accept the Orthodox Church as "the Church" then I think you will find some things that were said about the Bishop of Rome's role in the Church that are difficult to reconcile with that belief.

IMHO, either the Catholic Church is "the Church" or the Church of Christ has failed.

I believe and pray unificaton will come soon.

I think this is why God has prevented "the Orthodox Church" [at least most of it, (I'm not really sure how you define all of "the Orthodox Church" in the absence of Rome?)] from declaring any of their councils post the split ecumenical. If they had, I think that would have made unification a practical impossibility.

Chuck
I fear that this has already happened, just the other way around. The fact that the Catholic Church has declared 14 post-schism councils to be ecumenical and through the office of the pope of Rome has declared as dogmatic positions that are unacceptable to a great many Orthodox may have made unification a practical impossibility. I pray that this is not really the case, but in reality, I suspect it is.
Old Mar 15, '12, 5:46 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBlack View Post
I fear that this has already happened, just the other way around. The fact that the Catholic Church has declared 14 post-schism councils to be ecumenical and through the office of the pope of Rome has declared as dogmatic positions that are unacceptable to a great many Orthodox may have made unification a practical impossibility. I pray that this is not really the case, but in reality, I suspect it is.
Ohh, come on. Don't say that.

Reunion is always possible if we continue to look at the bright side of things. I agree that there may never be a reunion but we mustn't look at it so negative.

Always keep your highest hopes in this case.
Old Mar 15, '12, 6:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBlack View Post
Yep. There is really only one way that reunification is possible.

Chuck
Take this love, therefore, as the end that is set before you, to which you are to refer all that you say, and, whatever you narrate, narrate it in such a manner that he to whom you are discoursing on hearing may believe, on believing may hope, on hoping may love. - St. Augustine
Old Mar 16, '12, 5:47 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob50 View Post
No.

Of course ask an Eastern Orthodox he will state otherwise.

It is quite a shame a schism this big occurred. I pray everyday in my life for a full communion someday. Imagine both churches in full communion one day. Think about it. We would be even more worldwide.

Here is a map of the distribution of Catholics Worldwide:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Catholics.png

Here is a map of the distribution of Orthodox Worldwide:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...by_Country.svg

The red parts are oriental orthodox though.

Combine Catholics and Eastern Orthodox population.
All we would need is a few parts of Asia and a bit of Africa and our church would be physically present in all corners of the earth...

Unfortunately, its going to be hard for a unification. But you never know.
Thank you , so Russia is mainly Orthodox I see.
Old Mar 16, '12, 6:42 am

Religion: Baptized and confirmed Easter Vigil, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmowry View Post
Yep. There is really only one way that reunification is possible.

Chuck
If they bend the knee to Rome?

-- Pope Benedict XVI --
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics