Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 17, '12, 6:04 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Default Catholic homeschooling using non-Catholic math text

Hi,

I am wondering what to use for my 7th grader next fall after MCP Math. I have heard good things about Rod & Staff but they are Anabaptist so is there a lot of preaching untruths in the book?
Old Mar 17, '12, 6:24 am

Default Re: Catholic homeschooling using non-Catholic math text

Their math books are not preachy at all, but they are targeted at plain Mennonites, so you will see women in head coverings and cape dresses, and the word problems are heavily slanted to a lifestyle of farming, carpentry, sewing, etc. they are excellent, practical textbooks, but if your child is college bound this would be a good time to switch to Saxon Math. Easy to use, goes up to Calculus, really available. Rod and Staff does not go beyond tenth grade because they do not believe in higher education.
I have 23 years of homeschooling experience, with 3 graduates. My youngest is 13. I always use Saxon after MCP. Horizon is very good as well. Good luck.
Old Mar 17, '12, 12:00 pm

...if I could just keep writing "...." for 3 pages, I would.

Now maybe it's just because I didn't have homeschooling, but I'm sitting here, racking my brain, trying to figure out what the difference would be between "Catholic" Math and "Non-Catholic" Math.
Old Mar 17, '12, 1:16 pm

There isn't one. I think the OP was concerned about whether Rod and Staff would be anti-catholic. MCP is a secular math book, as is Saxon.
It is not necessary to only use Catholic books in Catholic homeschooling. It certainly isn't in Math, but some of the better Protestant programs like BobJones may be anti-catholic in subtle ways.
Old Mar 17, '12, 1:38 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeritasLuxMea View Post
...if I could just keep writing "...." for 3 pages, I would.

Now maybe it's just because I didn't have homeschooling, but I'm sitting here, racking my brain, trying to figure out what the difference would be between "Catholic" Math and "Non-Catholic" Math.
I was thinking that, too!

I imagine it would only affect word problems.

Catholic: A group of pilgrims from St. Catherine's Parish averaging 1 mile per hour start a 5 mile walk towards the Marian shrine at 8:00. Another group from Sts Peter and Paul that averages 2 miles per hour starts an 8 mile pilgrimage to the same shrine at 11:00. Which group gets the shady seats?

Secular: A women's health clinic can eliminate problem pregnancies at the rate of 6 per hour....
Old Mar 17, '12, 2:17 pm

Religion: catholic

Also 23 years and counting of Catholic homeschooling.

Depending on kid, Saxon or math-u-see works best for us.

I wouldn't give Bob Jones a penny. Having spent a looooong time in an evangelical/ fundamentalist homeschooling Co op (for lack of better options) I'm almost as anti bob Jones as bj is anti catholic.
1 John 4:19
Old Mar 17, '12, 4:20 pm

I don't have any kids that age yet; my oldest is just finishing second grade. However, we have found the Life of Fred books to be a real treasure and they come highly recommended all the way up through the high school and college level books.

For my little ones we use th aforementioned Life of Fred in conjunction with Math Mammoth and lots of math picture books and activities. I do like th MCP kindergarten book. I just purchase it for the second time.

Wife to my hockey-lovin', Canadian guy
Mom to two boys , and three girls
Old Mar 17, '12, 7:29 pm

Even if a math text is not anti Catholic in and of itself, some famlies do not want to support any organization that attacks the Catholic church.

I also heard good reviews of Singapore math, in addition to the ones that others have mentioned here.

I think it all depends on your child and his learning style. A curriculum can be great for one kid and not work at all for another. (Although I am sure you already know that!)
Old Mar 18, '12, 7:37 am

I homeschooled my son K-2 and had spent quite a bit of time researching math (because I had enthusiastically planned to homeschool for years before he was born). For the young grades i was a clear choice between Miquon Math and Singapore Math. I chose the former. The latter was just as good a reputable program - once - until recently creative writers have re-invented it with violent word problems! So avoid Singapore! Miquon, a German-based program, gave my son an excellent start in Math, it was so simple to use, and it was his most-liked subject. I had researched what would be next and there was no question that we would take on Saxon Math for third grade and beyond. However, we divorced and had to suddenly stop homeschooling as the law here would not stand behind any creative efforts I made to continue it: both divorced parents must agree or its public school.. It was a sad time indeed for me to accept this. So be grateful to your husband that you can homeschool!

Anyway, I just wanted to second the motion for Saxon Math!
Old Mar 18, '12, 10:10 pm

[quote=Oh Charlotte;9084950]I homeschooled my son K-2 and had spent quite a bit of time researching math (because I had enthusiastically planned to homeschool for years before he was born). For the young grades i was a clear choice between Miquon Math and Singapore Math. I chose the former. The latter was just as good a reputable program - once - until recently creative writers have re-invented it with violent word problems! So avoid Singapore! Miquon, a German-based program, gave my son an excellent start in Math, it was so simple to use, and it was his most-liked subject. I had researched what would be next and there was no question that we would take on Saxon Math for third grade and beyond. However, we divorced and had to suddenly stop homeschooling as the law here would not stand behind any creative efforts I made to continue it: both divorced parents must agree or its public school.. It was a sad time indeed for me to accept this. So be grateful to your husband that you can homeschool!

Anyway, I just wanted to second the motion for Saxon Math![/QUOTE

No kidding! Wow I have never heard that complaint.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life