Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 17, '12, 4:44 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Born Latin Married a Byzantine
Default Postal Service

Does anyone else think the Post Office is trying to convince everyone that Saturday delivery is NOT necessary? They have convinced me...though I do not agree if the PO operates on Sat as they do Monday - Friday I would say the same. I am not against cutting expenses...just be honest?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory Forever!
Old Mar 17, '12, 6:34 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Postal Service

We do not have it anyway, so I can't say much in regard to the USA. However I do know that postal workers do work quite hard, so maybe they do deserve an extra break?

Old Mar 17, '12, 6:42 pm

Religion: Catholic

I think here in the U.S. we've become so accustomed to having everything RIGHT NOW!! that it'll be good for us if Saturday delivery goes away. I mean, for goodness sake's, what can't wait for 2 days???? If it was ok to be delivered by snail mail in the first place, waiting till Monday should be just fine.
Old Mar 17, '12, 7:21 pm
Forum Master

JMO, but I think the U.S. Postal Service is going down. It's just a matter of time. Probably within ten years, we won't have "mail" anymore, other than online. The no-Saturday thing is just the beginning of the end.

If I were a postal worker, I would be heading back to school, or to a trade school, or anywhere that I could to prepare for another career. I wouldn't waste time picketing or writing letters to my Congressman. I would just quietly prepare for the end.

You don't believe it could happen? I'm guessing that farm wagon makers and butter churn makers, etc., thought the same thing, but you don't exactly see a plethora of wagon or butter churn factories these days.
Old Mar 17, '12, 7:25 pm

Up here in Canada we have never had Saturday delivery (at least I do not recall any in my almost 40 years on earth). Today with e-mail and all the other online methods of communication it really isn't necessary at all to have Saturday delivery. They've even talked about only doing delivery up here a few times a week now. (Not sure if that will happen). I get all my bills electronically now and rarely get any mail other than junk mail from Canada Post anymore.
Old Mar 17, '12, 7:52 pm

Religion: Pentecostal Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalViews View Post
We do not have it anyway, so I can't say much in regard to the USA. However I do know that postal workers do work quite hard, so maybe they do deserve an extra break?
It won't be an extra break. It would mean mass layoffs plus the average load on the remaining five days of delivery will increase. The postal service is set up on a rotating off day schedule for most, so unless a particular station is short of carriers you only work five days a week already. 15 years ago I rarely had an off day besides Sunday, it also has happened recently as we are in transition to new technology and longer routes. 20% of the carrier force which won't be needed with the end of Saturday delivery work on the routes left vacant on the regular carrier's off day. About the only people who see it as a break are Sabbath keepers who finally have their dream realized and senior carriers who don't care if junior carriers lose their jobs as they would now get every weekend off instead of one weekend in five

However end of Saturday delivery is inevitable, while USPS managers say it is the only hope my union is fighting it, kicking and screaming on the way down to our very death. I can see a situation where we will just deliver on odd or even days and there are still carriers working who once delivered twice a day. In my opinion, it is a quasi government service with hundreds of thousand of workers, "does too big to fail" bring back memories. unlike General Motors or a big investment bank a postal system is constitutionally mandated.
Old Mar 17, '12, 7:54 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishRush View Post
I think here in the U.S. we've become so accustomed to having everything RIGHT NOW!! that it'll be good for us if Saturday delivery goes away. I mean, for goodness sake's, what can't wait for 2 days???? If it was ok to be delivered by snail mail in the first place, waiting till Monday should be just fine.
With all the Monday holidays, that would be three days. I'd prefer Wednesday non-delivery but as some of you have noted, this might all be a moot point 10 years from now.
Old Mar 17, '12, 7:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
With all the Monday holidays, that would be three days. I'd prefer Wednesday non-delivery but as some of you have noted, this might all be a moot point 10 years from now.
Most routes are set up to service business customers first. A larger proportion of businesses are closed on Saturday then Wednesday. Congress would never allow a weekday dark day
Old Mar 17, '12, 9:01 pm
Forum Master

We only get "junk" mail on Saturdays and the PO in our town is open only one hour on Saturdays so it won't bother me. However, no Saturday service would make it impossible for people who work to ever get to the PO to sign for a certified letter or pick up a package.
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Old Mar 17, '12, 9:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by razmataz View Post
Up here in Canada we have never had Saturday delivery (at least I do not recall any in my almost 40 years on earth). Today with e-mail and all the other online methods of communication it really isn't necessary at all to have Saturday delivery. They've even talked about only doing delivery up here a few times a week now. (Not sure if that will happen). I get all my bills electronically now and rarely get any mail other than junk mail from Canada Post anymore.
Not so fast friend. I work for Courier Services of the CPC, and yes we do work Saturdays. But keep in mind of the competition (DHL, FedEx, UPS, Purolator, and mom & pop). Okay okay, so it's not your bills, pension cheque, or notorious admail (aka junk mail), but there is a Saturday service from the PO.

Personally, I can't wait for them to figure out how to fax a package and make my job redundant. ;-)
Old Mar 17, '12, 9:11 pm

The no Saturday service being proposed is delivery only. Although over the years retail windows have been cutting their Saturday hours. For many it will force a trip to a station instead of relying on a Saturday re-delivery giving up the USPS advantage over UPS and FedEX
Old Mar 18, '12, 5:52 am

Even though it isn't official, I've found I receive no mail on Thursdays - other than occasionally a local flyer from time to time. And overall, wouldn't mind if Saturday deliveries were stopped also. Most of the mail delivered to me is junk mail anymore. We're subsiding businesses with this I suppose it could be said.

The post office is quickly going broke due to high pension costs, and being unable to cut unneeded expenses. They have looked into different ideas to lower costs; stopping Saturday deliveries, closing little needed offices, etc. but so far politicians have found ways to stop USPS from becoming for efficient.

"Lawmakers Block Postal Service Recovery""

http://blogs.the-american-interest.c...vice-recovery/

snippet from the article:
Quote:
The foundering U.S. Postal Service has taken modest steps toward stability, mostly by closing offices and cutting back on services. Yet the institution is running into a new set of obstacles—uncooperative lawmakers. Despite a general consensus that the Postal Service needs to cut costs, a number of lawmakers are doing everything in their power to ensure that the cutbacks don’t affect their districts. From the Wall Street Journal:
The agency doesn’t need Congress’s approval to close the plants and post offices, but lawmakers “draw on a number of tactical tools” to delay or dissuade the postal service, including public protests, withholding support for major postal-related legislation, and adding language to committee reports instructing the agency to study the matter further, the U.S. Postal Service Office of Inspector General said in a June 2011 report.
In addition, lawmakers can enact new rules that dictate how facilities close in the future.
The travails of the USPS are among the most obvious examples of the ailing blue model. Cushy lifetime contracts, expensive pensions and rigid work rules have created unsustainable costs, requiring government intervention to keep it afloat even as the service becomes less and less attractive to its customers. And as we’ve seen, government support can easily turn to unwelcome interference....
Old Mar 18, '12, 11:44 am

Religion: Episcopal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjconder View Post
Does anyone else think the Post Office is trying to convince everyone that Saturday delivery is NOT necessary? They have convinced me...though I do not agree if the PO operates on Sat as they do Monday - Friday I would say the same. I am not against cutting expenses...just be honest?
I believe that the postal service is a quazi-governmental organization which receives no funding from tax dollars; rather is self sufficient even though the government reportedly raids its coffers every year.

Like any business, in order to operate at a modest profit, they need to run as efficiently as possible and if they need to convince people that they need to be closed on Saturdays, then so be it.

Proud Independent Since 1973
Old Mar 19, '12, 8:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by empacae View Post
Not so fast friend. I work for Courier Services of the CPC, and yes we do work Saturdays. But keep in mind of the competition (DHL, FedEx, UPS, Purolator, and mom & pop). Okay okay, so it's not your bills, pension cheque, or notorious admail (aka junk mail), but there is a Saturday service from the PO.

Personally, I can't wait for them to figure out how to fax a package and make my job redundant. ;-)
Yes, I should have clarified that Canada Post still does Courier service on Saturdays but not general mail to my understanding. My mom just retired from CPC after 25 years + of service and she was a regular letter carrier for most of that so always had Saturday's off. I agree that mail delivery is still necessary for many (especially businesses) but I definitely get a lot less of it now than I did even 5 years ago.
Old Mar 19, '12, 3:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by razmataz View Post
Yes, I should have clarified that Canada Post still does Courier service on Saturdays but not general mail to my understanding. My mom just retired from CPC after 25 years + of service and she was a regular letter carrier for most of that so always had Saturday's off. I agree that mail delivery is still necessary for many (especially businesses) but I definitely get a lot less of it now than I did even 5 years ago.
I though that the poster was talking about Purolator since they said the CPC Courier Services. I didn't realize that CPC had their own courier apart from Purolator (seems redundant in my opinion).

But for those Americans who are now completely confused, when we say we don't get mail on Saturday, we're talking about your ordinary lettermail (letter, magazines, postcards and the like. I don't think any newspapers use CP anymore).

Lord God, we ask you to bless and protect the Holy Catholic Church.
"God shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us" - Romans 5:8

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence