Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 21, '12, 3:51 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default my sinful feelings for my priest

Recently, I've started going mass and youth group. Ever since I was alone with him so I can ask any questions I had, I had started feeliing love towards him. I know its because of the fact hes a caring and kind individual. I know once I have to do my first conffessional, Ill have tp tell him my sins. How can I tell him this? How can I get over him?
Old Mar 21, '12, 4:19 pm

Smile Re: my sinful feelings for my priest

First of all, feelings are feelings, and sin does not enter the picture unless you act on those feelings or consciously provoke them, etc. On that note, if you are confessing a desire that you know is disordered, you are not obligated to tell your confessor who is was specifically that you inappropriately desired. You could just say, "I have tempted romantic affections toward someone I am not allowed to date." That could be a number of people, but it still specifies the sin.

As for getting over it, I would say prayer. Pray for the priest, pray for your continuing chastity, and trust that if your vocation is to marriage that God will provide you with a loving spouse who is not bound to another vocation.

Praying for you.
"Dicit ad eum mulier Domine da mihi hanc aquam ut non sitiam neque veniam huc haurire" John 4:15
Old Mar 21, '12, 4:25 pm

Default Re: my sinful feelings for my priest

Another note is that Im a minor, desiring love for a man of God.
Old Mar 21, '12, 4:30 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Luckily, you realize this is simply because he is kind- as are most priests.

Is this your first time spending one on one time with someone of the opposite sex discussing things that are important to you? I only ask because I noticed you are only fourteen.

I would suggest praying about it and if the feelings persist- pray more and find another priest you can speak to without your thoughts and feelings drifting!
Old Mar 21, '12, 4:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo Sono Amore View Post
Recently, I've started going mass and youth group. Ever since I was alone with him so I can ask any questions I had, I had started feeliing love towards him. I know its because of the fact hes a caring and kind individual. I know once I have to do my first conffessional, Ill have tp tell him my sins. How can I tell him this? How can I get over him?
Feelings are not sinful if they go no further. If you have fantasized or something like that, I recommend going to a different priest. If, however, you do go to this priest for this kind of confession, it is not necessary that you tell him he is the one.

Just a word of gentle caution: Be careful not to walk where you're tempted to harm someone you care about--or yourself. God bless.
Old Mar 21, '12, 5:00 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Pray - for the priest and for yourself. Especially pray for the grace to love him as God loves him, since God always loves in the purest and best way.

In confession most priests offer the option of being anonymous (you sit or kneel behind a screen of some kind and don't see the priest and he doesn't see you). Priests are actually required to make this option available for everyone, so ask for it if it isn't. Or do you think even confessing behind a screen would cause problems for you?

Try to look for lots of other kind caring people to go to with problems - other adults, teachers, even people your own age who you look up to - and don't rely so much on this priest.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Mar 21, '12, 5:18 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
The devil is always trying to get us to sin, especially when it comes to priests. So be strong and say a prayer. I'll pray for you too!
Old Mar 21, '12, 6:26 pm

Go find an ugly priest to confess to.

Seriously.
Old Mar 21, '12, 6:45 pm

Religion: Homeless at the moment
Send a message via Yahoo to Irishgal49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutgardis View Post
Feelings are not sinful if they go no further. If you have fantasized or something like that, I recommend going to a different priest. If, however, you do go to this priest for this kind of confession, it is not necessary that you tell him he is the one.

Just a word of gentle caution: Be careful not to walk where you're tempted to harm someone you care about--or yourself. God bless.
Been there, done it. The thoughts I mean, better clarify. Didn't act on them but struggled with them. I told a different priest and didn't name the other priest. He told me NOT to tell anything like that to the priest you have the feelings towards and it's best to get a different confessor. I never confess with him and the feelings went away. I was lonely, going through a divorce, and had just returned to the Church after 9 years so it was a lot of confusion. Don't give it power, focus on the Lord and talk to a different priest. Keep distance. Pray for him and for yourself to see that this is probably a crush and don't entertain fantasies.

God bless you.
Old Mar 21, '12, 7:55 pm

Quote:
You need to understand that this feeling of falling in love with someone who takes the time to help you, and who takes a genuine interest in your welfare, is very common. A study of Pschology 101 will teach that clients often believe that they are in love with their psychologists. You have a priest instead of a lay psychologist. Just remember that these feelings are natural, and that they will pass. Don't embarass the priest by telling him how you feel. There is no sin involved if you don't encourage these feelings. Try to avoid private meetings with him. Believe me, if you understand why you have these feelings -- gratitude for someone having a genuine concern for you -- you will be relieved, and not have carry these guilt feelings. Good luck and God bless.
Old Mar 21, '12, 11:44 pm

Religion: Follower of Christ

Pray about it. I would say that if it continues, you might need a different church. That is, if its getting in the way of your worship and keeping you from confession. Maybe you're falling in love with him in a kind and caring way like a friend, not a relationship/dating way. If it starts to become a huge problem I do truly suggest you maybe move to another church. Feelings are feelings and if you love him, I don't know if you'll get over him, especially if you continue to see him every sunday.
Old Mar 22, '12, 8:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy View Post

Seriously.
On a lighter note: You are seriously funny. I laughed out loud when I read this. How easy things would be if all priests were ugly and gauche!
Old Mar 22, '12, 6:45 pm

Religion: Church Militant

Sin is an act of the will, so unless you're willing yourself to feel this way about him, or to act on those feelings, or unless you have deliberately placed yourself in a near occasion of sin, it's not sinful to accidentally feel this way.
Old Mar 23, '12, 7:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy View Post

Seriously.
I was just thinking this.

Old works too. I recommend not going to one who is the same age as you if you're young. That can lead to other sins like being envious of God, and coveting what he has that you wish you had.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology