Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 22, '12, 6:19 am
Radio Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default As revenues increase in Archdiocese of Boston, 17 chancery employees rewarded with $150,000+ salaries...

Quote:
Up in alms over salaries

Church asks for more as top Catholic administrators see pay spike

With the Archdiocese of Boston in the middle of its 2012 Catholic Appeal fundraiser, the number of church employees earning upward of $150,000 has skyrocketed by more than threefold even as the church has been shuttering parishes, a Herald review found.

In 2006, the archdiocese listed only five employees earning more than $150,000, but its latest annual report shows 17 “senior lay executives” topped $150,000 last year. Among the latest eye-popping salaries and fiscal details the review found:
http://bostonherald.com/news/regiona..._see_pay_spike
Old Mar 22, '12, 7:35 am

Default Re: As revenues increase in Archdiocese of Boston, 17 chancery employees rewarded with $150,000+ salaries...

I would guess that people concerned with setting remuneration for such posts will be sensitive to the needs of the Church vs the market in which the Church has to operate in order to find suitably talented individuals at the senior level required to carry out their roles effectively.

I would have more confidence in the diocese that paid its Financial Director a competitive $250k salary because he's properly qualified and well experienced than paying an amateur $40k and who then ends up losing the diocese $millions through bad decisions.

Quality comes with a price. It's a fact of life. The last thing any diocese needs right now is amateurs and unqualified people in charge. There's been enough scandals. We don't need more.
May he show his face to you and have mercy on you.
May he turn his countenance towards you
and give you peace.

God bless Pope Francis!
Old Mar 22, '12, 8:20 am

Default Re: As revenues increase in Archdiocese of Boston, 17 chancery employees rewarded with $150,000+ salaries...

What? That's ridiculous!! Do parishoners in the archdiocese want their collections going to a $150 k. salary? I'm sorry, that's just too much.

I'm surprised this got by Cardinal Sean.

"tough love thy neighbor as thyself. Get your own loaves and fishes!"- Stephen Colbert
Old Mar 22, '12, 12:30 pm
Forum Master

They're paying the range of salary that these people would get and often times more in the private sector.

Cost of living in Boston is high and salaries for professionals such as the diocesan lawyer is going to
be in the 6 digit figure.

Would it be better to higher an attorney fresh out of law school for $60,000 ?

With the problems Boston has had, I think not.

Jim
Old Mar 22, '12, 12:33 pm

Send a message via MSN to MichaelTDoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexUK View Post
I would guess that people concerned with setting remuneration for such posts will be sensitive to the needs of the Church vs the market in which the Church has to operate in order to find suitably talented individuals at the senior level required to carry out their roles effectively.

I would have more confidence in the diocese that paid its Financial Director a competitive $250k salary because he's properly qualified and well experienced than paying an amateur $40k and who then ends up losing the diocese $millions through bad decisions.

Quality comes with a price. It's a fact of life. The last thing any diocese needs right now is amateurs and unqualified people in charge. There's been enough scandals. We don't need more.
+1
Old Mar 22, '12, 12:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexUK View Post
Is that the only choice - a $250,000 executive (how do you know for sure that the person is going to be well qualified and well experienced? There have been multimillion dollar CEOs who weren't worth their pay - consider the former head of Home Depot, Bob Nardelli) and an "amateur" for $40 grand? What makes you so sure that such a person is going to lose millions for the diocese?

Quote:
Quality comes with a price. It's a fact of life.
What is that price?

Quote:
There's been enough scandals. We don't need more.
Are the scandals about money or about priestly misconduct?

Last edited by Rich Olszewski; Mar 22, '12 at 1:06 pm.
Old Mar 22, '12, 12:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR-OCDS View Post
Is that the only alternative? Hiring a person right out of law school? Aren't there any good lawyers who don't demand 250+ grand salaries?
Old Mar 22, '12, 1:43 pm

Religion: catholic

Having come from the northeast,cost of living is so high salaries especially for professionals has to be high.The Median income is probably at least twice the national average.
That's why I retired to Az
Old Mar 22, '12, 2:12 pm

Religion: catholic

Having come from the northeast,cost of living is so high salaries especially for professionals has to be high.The Median income is probably at least twice the national average.
That's why I retired to Az
Old Mar 22, '12, 2:51 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Olszewski View Post
Is that the only alternative? Hiring a person right out of law school? Aren't there any good lawyers who don't demand 250+ grand salaries?
No, good attorneys to represent a firm or in this case, the Archdioceses come at that high of a price and higher.

In fact, you're not just getting an attorney, you're getting his firm to represent you.

I believe the attorney that represented the corporation I previously worked for, was getting $500,000 not counting stock options

Jim
Old Mar 23, '12, 8:15 am

Quote:
No, good attorneys to represent a firm or in this case, the Archdioceses come at that high of a price and higher.

In fact, you're not just getting an attorney, you're getting his firm to represent you.

I believe the attorney that represented the corporation I previously worked for, was getting $500,000 not counting stock options

Jim
I, for one, am glad that it isn't my diocese. I wouldn't give a nickel to a diocese that doles out such largesse to its attorneys. If it can afford those firms, it certainly desn't need my donations. Let wealthy Catholics pay for them.
Old Mar 23, '12, 9:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Olszewski View Post
I, for one, am glad that it isn't my diocese. I wouldn't give a nickel to a diocese that doles out such largesse to its attorneys. If it can afford those firms, it certainly desn't need my donations. Let wealthy Catholics pay for them.
Professional Barristers/Lawyers/Accountants demand a high wage, you think your going to get a well qualified, well experienced private Barrister/Lawyer for under a 6 figure salary, especially in areas with high living costs? Dream on, that is not life, and that is not the Jobs market. Who do you think the Barrister/Lawyer will go to, the Archdiocese offering a man/woman of their experience (let's say 15 years since being called to the Bar, dealing with several high profile cases, writing their doctoral thesis which is waiting to be accepted by Harvard Law) £60,000, or the Big corporation just down the road from the archdiocesan office, offering £300,000 + benefits?
Old Mar 23, '12, 9:39 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
If they're effective. I've heard some do pro bono work for some parishes.

My wife used to do pro bono tax returns for the local church.

The idea is to tithe TO the church not FROM the church.
Old Mar 23, '12, 10:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
The idea is to tithe TO the church not FROM the church.

I've done pro bono legal work for members of my parish as asked by our pastor, and a good bit of it for indigents in the area of family law.

Having those half-million dollar diocesan attorneys doesn't guarantee an unbroken record of court victories.

BTW, whom do you think does most of the work in those diocesan attorneys' firms? Not the lead partners, I assure you. More likely the lower paid attorneys working there.
Old Mar 23, '12, 11:38 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

636 sq. feet in Boston will cost you $419,000, with no yard. 2bedroom, 1 bath, essentially a tiny condo.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...5_M47110-82568

I have idea if those salaries are deserved, but cost of loving in Boston through the Mid Atlantic is astronomical.

Try buying a home, or renting cheaply in those areas sometime.

Granted, jobs do not exist so people can pay bills. That is merely a byproduct of a job. A job exists because someone has a need for your skills.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News