Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 27, '12, 11:56 pm

Religion: Catholic: Russian Greek Catholic, & Latin Church catechist
Default Eastern Catholic and Orthodox vestments and vesting prayers

In a thread a while ago someone asked for information about Eastern Catholic and Orthodox vestments. I don't remember what thread it was, but someone else might.

Anyway, Fr. Thomas Hopko has a series on Vesting for Liturgy in his "Worship in Spirit and Truth" podcasts on Ancient Faith Radio which has excellent teaching on vestments and vesting beginning with Part 1 December 21, 2011 through Part 7 Mar 21, 2012. I highly recommend this series. I'm thrilled to have discovered that I can listen to AFR poscasts on my smart phone. I'm afraid I often fall to sleep listening to them (not because they are boring!).

I've found our Latin seminarians are usually unfamiliar with vesting prayers of the Latin Church. I'm going to pass the series on to the two current seminarians in my Latin parish as I think there is much in what Fr Tom teaches that could be of real interest to a Latin Church priest as well.
Old Mar 28, '12, 6:35 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Eastern Catholic and Orthodox vestments and vesting prayers

Unfortunately the vesting prayers have been removed from the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite. That being said, every Roman priest is free to take the vesting prayers from the Extraordinary Form and pray them while vesting for the Ordinary Form. I for one would encourage this. As an altar boy growing up, I took the vesting prayers for altar boys from the Extraordinary Form and prayed them while I was "suiting up" as we called it.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me.

Old Apr 8, '12, 7:03 pm

Religion: Catholic: Russian Greek Catholic, & Latin Church catechist

After finishing the seven "Vesting for Liturgy" reflections, as Father calls these teachings, I was so delighted in the series I went back to lecture one, Jan 10, 2011, of thus far 30 entries in this "Worship in Spirit and Truth: reflections on the Divine Liturgy". I've now listened to maybe 3/4 of the 22 hours so far in this series.

I highly recommend this series. Fr. Tom starts with a particular topic each reflection, but he very profitably weaves in a great deal of material into the piece creating a very full context for the original element he intends to teach on in that section.
Old Apr 10, '12, 9:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Rolfes View Post
Unfortunately the vesting prayers have been removed from the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite. That being said, every Roman priest is free to take the vesting prayers from the Extraordinary Form and pray them while vesting for the Ordinary Form. I for one would encourage this. As an altar boy growing up, I took the vesting prayers for altar boys from the Extraordinary Form and prayed them while I was "suiting up" as we called it.
Yes, it's sad Roman Rite priests don't know about these anymore. They are up in the sacristy of my parish church though, and I also say the server's prayers when I put on my cassock and surplice to serve the TLM.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism