Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 2, '12, 7:36 pm

Religion: Protestant Church
Default Re: Mormonism and Protestantism

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyAntiochus View Post
Their recognition by the National Council of Churches is irrelevant to whether they are a Christian church. They accept the Book of Mormon as an inspired set of Scripture. Since the Book of Mormon denies Christian verity, they are not a Christian church.
That's an opinion! There are more Churches that accept them than don't!
Old Apr 2, '12, 7:39 pm

Religion: Lutheran
Send a message via Skype™ to IggyAntiochus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitex View Post
Their acceptance by other denominations (and given some of the denominations in the National Council of Churches...) is, again, irrelevant. What they believe determines whether they are a Christian church. They accept several fraudulent documents to be the word of God. Most of which denies basic tenets of the Christian faith. This rules out their inclusion among Christ's church, not ecclesiastical opinion.
Old Apr 2, '12, 7:41 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Religion: Orthodox - OCA

Quote:
That's not an opinion. I'm sorry, but truth is not relative to opinions. The objective truth is that Mormonism is not Christian.
Old Apr 2, '12, 7:42 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Wow what a judgmental attitude; you know barely anything about them... They're a mainline protestant sect! I suppose I am in a heretical cult as well. The Church of England!
Judgmental? Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't scripture tell us to "beware of false prophets" and to "test the spirits to see whether they are from God"?
"Conversion is like stepping across the chimney piece out of a Looking-Glass world, where everything is an absurd caricature, into the real world God made; and then begins the delicious process of exploring it limitlessly." --Evelyn Waugh, writer, Catholic convert (1930)
Old Apr 2, '12, 7:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPetrosPio View Post
That's not an opinion. I'm sorry, but truth is not relative to opinions. The objective truth is that Mormonism is not Christian.
Alex your wrong.
Old Apr 2, '12, 7:46 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, as was stated by IggyAntiochus, that's irrelevant. The Body of Christ is not a democracy. But if we use your standard - there are more Churches that reject the BoM as false; and yet, the CoC believes the BoM to be inspired.
"Conversion is like stepping across the chimney piece out of a Looking-Glass world, where everything is an absurd caricature, into the real world God made; and then begins the delicious process of exploring it limitlessly." --Evelyn Waugh, writer, Catholic convert (1930)
Old Apr 2, '12, 7:47 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Alex your wrong.
And now you're arguing the point that Mormonism is a protestant denomination...?
Old Apr 2, '12, 7:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewstew03 View Post
Well, as was stated by IggyAntiochus, that's irrelevant. The Body of Christ is not a democracy. But if we use your standard - there are more Churches that reject the BoM as false; and yet, the CoC believes the BoM to be inspired.
You know nothing about protestantism OR Mormonism, I wouldn't expect you too! Unless your a convert from either your in no position to judge the beliefs and practices of other Churches.

Your opinions are all based on outside observations and stereotypes. Wow. All the judgement here.

Unless you've been mormon or protestant, You have no right to tell them or me what is wrong and what is right.

Do you see me telling Catholics here that their faith is wrong?!
Old Apr 2, '12, 7:52 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
You know nothing about protestantism OR Mormonism, I wouldn't expect you too! Unless your a convert from either your in no position to judge the beliefs and practices of other Churches.

Your opinions are all based on outside observations and stereotypes. Wow. All the judgement here.

Unless you've been mormon or protestant, You have no right to tell them or me what is wrong and what is right.

I am a former evangelical protestant. Do I have your permission to participate in the discussion now?
Old Apr 2, '12, 7:52 pm

Religion: Lutheran
Send a message via Skype™ to IggyAntiochus

Quote:

Actually, Scripture commands us to say what is wrong and what is right.

Quote:
Catholics are part of the Body of Christ. Mormons and the CoC are not.
Old Apr 2, '12, 8:04 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyAntiochus View Post
Actually, Scripture commands us to say what is wrong and what is right.

Catholics are part of the Body of Christ. Mormons and the CoC are not.
What he said...
Old Apr 2, '12, 9:45 pm

Religion: LDS (Mormon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPetrosPio View Post
If by "Christian" you mean one that believes in Jesus Christ as Savior and Redeemer then we most definitely are Christian.

However, if you define "Christian" as one who must believe in the Trinity and the Bible alone as scripture then we definitely are not, and we do not claim to be.

The problem occurs when people try and lump these two statements together. This simply causes confusion, and I am afraid many are happy with it that way.
Old Apr 3, '12, 12:37 am
Banned

Religion: Protestant, Church of Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewstew03 View Post
I would consider the CoC a cult as well. Although they have distanced themselves from the LDS church - they continue to hold that the Book of Mormon and the Book of Doctrine and Covenants are inspired scripture.
If by CoC you mean Church of Christ you are completely wrong. Both books are man created, uninspired by God. The believe in multiple gods, Jesus and Satan are spirit children of God, that men can become gods, Jesus death was insufficient to atone for our sins, everyone will go to some form of heaven, only LDS who leave the church will go to hell (outer darkness), salvation is based on works, still teach polygamy, still teach that people of color were cursed in a pre-mortal existence, a woman's salvation is tied to her obedience to her husband, etc.... None of these things has any place at a CoC.
Old Apr 3, '12, 4:36 am

Religion: LDS (Mormon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekehl View Post
If by CoC you mean Church of Christ you are completely wrong. Both books are man created, uninspired by God. The believe in multiple gods, Jesus and Satan are spirit children of God, that men can become gods, Jesus death was insufficient to atone for our sins, everyone will go to some form of heaven, only LDS who leave the church will go to hell (outer darkness), salvation is based on works, still teach polygamy, still teach that people of color were cursed in a pre-mortal existence, a woman's salvation is tied to her obedience to her husband, etc.... None of these things has any place at a CoC.
Wow, about half of your statements are incorrect...
Old Apr 3, '12, 6:33 am

Religion: Ex-LDS, Happily Home in The Catholic Church

Quote:
I was raised Mormon, but honestly that doesn't matter- anyone can look at the tenets of the LDS faith and compare them to the "requirements" for a denomination to be considered Christian and see that there are some major discrepancies between the two.

mitex, you may want to think about the fact that NO ONE is JUDGING Mormonism, people are OBJECTIVELY stating the facts. Even Mormons DO NOT consider themselves protestant. In fact, it's insulting to the LDS community to bunch them in with other protestant denominations (or to even compare them to Catholicism) because they believe they're the one true church, not a denomination of the catholic (meaning universal) Christian Church.

To be considered a true Christian Church, one must believe in the Trinity. The LDS church does not. That is not a judgement, that's a hard, solid fact that ANY LDS member on here would agree that they do NOT believe in the trinity.

No one's being uncharitable here.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions