Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 3, '12, 1:43 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: ROMAN CATHOLIC
Question Anyone else ever been frightened of a gas stove?

After nearly 50 years of electric stoves, in the house I grew up in and apartments I've lived in, I now reside in a place with a gas stove. At first, I was a little leery of it, but friends who are gas stove enthusiasts helped me get started and told me how chefs prefer gas stoves and all that.

A couple of months ago, I discovered that the cleaning crew had missed some gunk in the roof of the oven. So I got some oven cleaner and went to work. This is an inexpensive lightweight gas range, and it tilted a little which may have been what blew the pilot light out. I smelled a little gas at times but didn't know what had happened.

Then a couple of days later my rabbit began acting oddly - thank the Lord I was in the room - and a friend I was talking to on the phone and I figured out it might be the gas leaking. Anyway, I rushed my rabbit outside, she was convulsing and her lips and nose were pale - I didn't think she was going to make it. Blessed be God, she revived and was fine and I called the gas company.

The gas to the range was shut off by the gas company man, but he said the maintenance man for the apartments would have to turn it back on. I have not wanted to have it turned back on because I still feel traumatized by what happened to my rabbit, and I guess because it sort of confirmed my discomfort with the idea of explosive and potentially toxic gas.

Yet I know I'm being silly, and I am getting tired of the monotony of only cooking with the microwave and toaster oven.

Can someone compassionately talk some sense into me please?
Old Apr 3, '12, 2:48 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Anyone else ever been frightened of a gas stove?

Oh no, I am so, so, so, glad your rabbit is ok. Thank you Lord! Do you think you should still take her to the vet? Thank God you were home!

I have a gas stove, and have never really thought about it...

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Old Apr 3, '12, 3:03 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Oh! Your poor rabbit. I know how it feels. I won't allow a gas stove within a 10km radius of my house. Growing up with woodstoves, I still prefer a good wood-stove. However since it's the 21st century, I use an electric one with flat-top burners. But I can understand being afraid of a gas stove. They may cook a good meal, but they're a HAZARD.

Especially if you have a habit of leaving a tea towel on the counter next to the stove

But I'm too afraid of chemical leakage and just the thing catching on fire anyways.

But give your rabbit some extra TLC and a carrot, spend some quality time together

Old Apr 3, '12, 3:36 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic

You are not being silly, but I think you may be a tad overly cautious by not turning the stove back on. It is understandable. Just remember, the reason the gas has that odor added to it is to alert you to a leak. Never feel foolish or silly for calling the gas company whenever you smell that odor-- it is what you are supposed to do. I grew up in an all gas home. The furnace, clothes dryer, stove and oven were all gas powered. There were times over the course of 30+ years in the house that my mom had to call the gas company to check for a leak. They come at any time of the day or night, and they always come quickly.

Learn where the shutoff valve is, learn where the pilot lights are on the stove and in the oven, if it is a gas oven, too (some are gas cooktops with electric ovens). Whenever you clean the stove, make sure the pilots are all lit. If your stove is that light that it moves so easily, have your landlord secure it to the wall or the floor with anti-tip anchors. This will help prevent pulling it away from the gas line.

"To have the right to do a thing is not at all the same as being right in doing it." -- G.K. Chesterton

"Doing the right thing starts at the beginning of the day, not after you've been caught." John Crichton, Farscape.
Old Apr 3, '12, 3:44 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juno24 View Post
You are not being silly, but I think you may be a tad overly cautious by not turning the stove back on. It is understandable. Just remember, the reason the gas has that odor added to it is to alert you to a leak. Never feel foolish or silly for calling the gas company whenever you smell that odor-- it is what you are supposed to do. I grew up in an all gas home. The furnace, clothes dryer, stove and oven were all gas powered. There were times over the course of 30+ years in the house that my mom had to call the gas company to check for a leak. They come at any time of the day or night, and they always come quickly.

Learn where the shutoff valve is, learn where the pilot lights are on the stove and in the oven, if it is a gas oven, too (some are gas cooktops with electric ovens). Whenever you clean the stove, make sure the pilots are all lit. If your stove is that light that it moves so easily, have your landlord secure it to the wall or the floor with anti-tip anchors. This will help prevent pulling it away from the gas line.
Yes, I realized that "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" and that I had only a little knowledge and needed more. Like about smelling the odor and calling right away. I think I'll get to the point where I'll have it turned back on, and I'm actually going to take a digital photo of where the pilot light to the oven is, since I'm forgetful with things I don't deal with but once in awhile. And I'm going to tape that photo right on the front of the stove with an arrow drawn on it pointing "Here is the Pilot Light!"

Bunny rabbit is still doing fine, ornery as ever, LOL - probably thinking about hiding Easter eggs...
Old Apr 3, '12, 4:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DOCTORS View Post
Can someone compassionately talk some sense into me please?
Doc,

I am so glad your rabbit is okay. I will try to do as you ask so you can get back to using your kitchen.

Every kind of cooking source carries its own risk. Gas and electric are both equally safe, though their particular risks are different. One of the advantages of gas over electric is that you can see when there is flame. Electric elements, in contrast, may look "cold" from their color when in fact they are hot. Another advantage is that when you turn off a gas burner, all heat stops. You don't have to immediately move your cookware to another element or trivet to prevent burning.

Whatever you cook with, you always have to use care. You have already learned a great part of the care needed to work with a gas stove: check the pilot light periodically (if you have one - my gas stove has electric ignition) and respect your nose.

BTW - When you call your landlord, make sure he knows why the gas was shut off. Hopefully, he'll check the supply hose, as well. (also, maybe post that photo over your sink - I'm always wary about allowing paper to contact any kind of stove - gas, electric, whatever)
Old Apr 3, '12, 6:07 pm

I am really worried after reading this because the idea of a gas leak hasn't really ever occurred to me. I have only lived in my house for a year, and the house was brand new when I bought it (built at the end of 2010). I'm not scared if I'm home because I can smell it, but I'm really scared about my cats. They are sometimes home alone during the day if my husband and I have to work.

Old Apr 3, '12, 6:18 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1215 View Post
I am really worried after reading this because the idea of a gas leak hasn't really ever occurred to me. I have only lived in my house for a year, and the house was brand new when I bought it (built at the end of 2010). I'm not scared if I'm home because I can smell it, but I'm really scared about my cats. They are sometimes home alone during the day if my husband and I have to work.
I think that's the source of my remaining residual fear after what happened to my bunny. What if I'm not home. Although I suppose it'd be unlikely that the pilot light would go out if I haven't left any windows open or anything like that. I have OCD so I don't want to go paranoid checking the stove everytime before I leave the apartment! That could be never-ending.

But for your purposes - there are natural gas detectors on the market - they are not the same as Carbon Monoxide detectors. They run around $50 at places like Home Depot. I hope to get one when I can afford it. That was one thing that took me a little while to figure out - because with CO poisoning you're supposed to get cherry-red lips, and my bunny's mouth was pale. I Googled "natural gas" and found it contains, among other things, methane. So bunny was asphyxiating apparently. (I'm no expert so anyone feel free to correct me on this whole hypothesis.)

And of course animals - and kids - are smaller than adult humans, so the concentration of poison gas or any kind of poison would be higher in them per pound or however they measure it.

Still - the scary, inescapable fact is - we can't save our helpless kids or animals if the detector goes off when we aren't at home. My bunny was inadvertently the "detector" that might have saved my life, I don't know - but obviously I don't want her to have to be that!
Old Apr 3, '12, 6:28 pm

Religion: Catholic (Ex Protestant)

Like the OPweI've nearly always used electric stoves, and about the only time we use gas is if we're on holidays or staying with friends.

I'm always a bit wary of them, particularly if they don't light up first time, and there's a distinct smell of gas in the house. I wait a few minutes then try again.

But then I'm a bit wary of horses too, having heard too many stories of people getting kicked etc.

I suppose it's what you're used to. The reality is that you don't hear of many accidents regarding gas, but they do happen.
Old Apr 4, '12, 10:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Crowley View Post
The reality is that you don't hear of many accidents regarding gas, but they do happen.
...and when they do, they rarely are inside the house. It seems to me that natural gas incidents are disproportionately on the main or production-related (fortunately, those are also rare). You can't escape the main at all since it's under every street.
Old Apr 4, '12, 11:20 am
Banned

Gas leeks on gas stoves and other things like water heaters!

Arrgh. OK. Gas appliances are very good at giving you nice clean and abundant energy at low cost. But, many people who have lived with electric appliances see gas appliances as ICBM's waiting to go off and destroy the whole town! Maybe the world!

NO. It's not like that! It's extreme3ly safe. Safer than your heating elemnts on your stove. All you need is something to touch it when you are not there and your house is buring down!

I am sorry, but I am a writer and this is going to sound humourous... It's my way.

First, if you know you have a gas appliance, with little flames going on on your aplliance, you have a gas aplliance. There are two gas type appliances. Natural gas and propane. If you see a cylindrical object ready to take off like a submarine hiding in your yard but is high and dry from any type of water, in your yard... that is a propane tank . If you can't see one, you have natural gas... which is not much different as far as the gas is concerned.

I used to work in a hardware store where I was the Senior CEO of Propane Gasses and would see some idiot pointing the nozzle at me and explode a trail of liquid propane my way right into my chest! Such is life at a hardware store. You get a frozen chest and yell at the person not to be to stupid! People want propane for gas grills or motor homes and I was in charge of making sure the transfer was safe... exept for those teen idiots... not saying all teens are that way... but, when you have excaping propane gas going into the air... well you stop that right away.

As far as your question, you either have a propane tank or a natural gas pipe coming into your home.

Propane and natural gas has an additive. This additive makes it smell rotten! Now, unless you are cooking rotten eggs for that husband of yours to get even with him for some trangression, if you smell rotten eggs, it's best to check the area where the gas is coming in. Every home has a place where there is a gas pipe. This pipe brings in the gas. It goes to the water heater and the furnace. Check there If you smell gas, you have something very important to do and it won't destroy you. You will find a shut off valve. Just shut it off. If yo9u don't smell that rotten smell there... go up to the kitchen or anything in your house that uses gas... like fireplaces.

Look in the back and smell. Rotten smell? There should be a shut off valve. If not... go down to where the gas pipe goes into your house, find the valve and turn it... instant sut offf of gas.. Air out the house and call a plumber. His job is to seal that all.

But, you are not satisfied... you are not sure that the gases are escaping even though you can't smell them... what do you do?

You check them. This is how you do it. Take a small bottle. Fill it with dishwashing liquid... and water and half and half mixture. Take a cotten ball and fascinate to a cue tip or other pointing device. Go down to basement or crawl spce and dip the cotton ball in the mixture. Wipe the areas that the pipes fit too. Where you might think that gas might be escaping. Coat the whole area.

The misture might for boobles. If it dows, there is a leak. Follow the pipe along it's length until it goes to the furnace and the water heater and stove. Where ever there is a fitting where you believe that gas can excape, caoat the whole area with the mixture. See if bubbles form. No bubbles, you are OK. There are no leaks... If a leak? Close the nearest valve... it must be a valve before the leak.. go backwards to find it.

Call a plumber. He will fix it. Hopes this helps
Old Apr 4, '12, 11:33 am
Veteran Member

I'm glad you and bunny are ok.

My home doesn't have gas, so my range is electric.

I always had gas stoves before, and never was afraid of them even though I did have 2 incidents with gas.

1 incident was similar to yours, the pilot light went out. DS1 was a baby. I called the gas company and DH because the house was smelled like gas. I evacuated with baby, until the gas company rep came to see where the gas was originating from.

Newer stoves don't have a pilot light, there is a mechanism that ignites the gas when you turn it on, so no worrying about the pilot light. I remember years ago, a stove we had where we needed to light the stove. Turn on gas, and add match. I'm glad they don't make them like that.

The second incident happened with my Grandfather. He had Alzheimer's.

A while before he was diagnosed, I found that he had done some cooking in the basement (he had a kitchenette in the basement that he would use.) He had forgotten to turn off the burner.

It was by chance that I was down there. I didn't have a clue how long it was on. Thank goodness I found it.

The Word became flesh, He lived among us, and we saw His glory, the glory that He has from the Father as only Son of the Father, full of grace and truth.
Old Apr 4, '12, 11:36 am

I have one minor correction to Sparrowhawk's narrative. A propane tank might be stored in a pit and concealed, similar to how a septic tank would be. Thus, you might be able to look around the yard, see no tank and still be on propane. Also, propane needs a different air mixture than gas so new appliances have to be adapted prior to use.
Old Apr 4, '12, 1:46 pm
Book Club Member

Well, this is in an apartment, so I have the maintenance man to call if there's a problem - and since I'm such a novice about natural gas, I prefer it that way. I know about the mercaptan rotten egg stuff; I just wasn't clear before about how much of it was "normal" to smell or how much indicated a gas leak. I'll just err on the side of caution especially since my pets would need a lower concentration to show symptoms anyway.

Propane tanks are quite familiar to me - my parents owned a travel trailer with 2 of them when I was a teenager. There was also an incident last summer in a nearby town where a propane company had a fire and one gentleman lost his life (may he rest in peace). The little tanks were going off like bombs and there were flames licking one of those big tanks - thanks be to God it did not explode.

I'm working on my "phobia" or whatever it is, because I took Wilton cake decorating classes and bought several cake pans and want to get back to baking.

P.S. I don't have a hubby to cook for - anyone interested, please send application, resume, picture of your vehicle, vital stats, background check, recent bank statement, character references, and a $100 processing fee for the initial screening process . . . (that's my humor! ) LOL
Old Apr 4, '12, 2:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DOCTORS View Post
I think that's the source of my remaining residual fear after what happened to my bunny. What if I'm not home. Although I suppose it'd be unlikely that the pilot light would go out if I haven't left any windows open or anything like that. I have OCD so I don't want to go paranoid checking the stove everytime before I leave the apartment! That could be never-ending.

But for your purposes - there are natural gas detectors on the market - they are not the same as Carbon Monoxide detectors. They run around $50 at places like Home Depot. I hope to get one when I can afford it. That was one thing that took me a little while to figure out - because with CO poisoning you're supposed to get cherry-red lips, and my bunny's mouth was pale. I Googled "natural gas" and found it contains, among other things, methane. So bunny was asphyxiating apparently. (I'm no expert so anyone feel free to correct me on this whole hypothesis.)

And of course animals - and kids - are smaller than adult humans, so the concentration of poison gas or any kind of poison would be higher in them per pound or however they measure it.

Still - the scary, inescapable fact is - we can't save our helpless kids or animals if the detector goes off when we aren't at home. My bunny was inadvertently the "detector" that might have saved my life, I don't know - but obviously I don't want her to have to be that!
Yeah, I don't think the detector would really serve a point because my fear is for my cats if I'm not home! I would be devastated. I'm going to ask my dad about this gas fear stuff in a few days. He is an electrician (I know gas is not the same thing haha) and all around handy man who knows all there is to know about houses (he actually built our lake house completely on his own) and has a gas stove and is very paranoid. So I'm sure he'll be able to tell me what to do to calm my fear.

Really really thanking God that you were home to take your rabbit outside.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence