Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 4, '12, 10:44 am

Religion: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church - Roman rite
Default Why is the Book of Enoch not in the Bible?

I've read much of this book and I'd like to know why its not in the Bible. I personally see no problem with it (although my opinion is fallible in nature) and consider it very informative about the time of Enoch, just before the flood accounted in the book of Noah...

Any idea as to why the book of Enoch is not in the Bible ?

For it is a matter of necessity that every Church
should agree with this Church [of Rome] , on account of its preeminent authority

St Irenaeus of Lyon
Old Apr 4, '12, 11:48 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why is the Book of Enoch not in the Bible?

Actually, the Ethiopian Church (one of the Oriental churches) does include Enoch in their canon. It seems that church is the only one.
Old Apr 4, '12, 11:54 am

If you look deeper into the subject, you will find that it is of relatively recent authorship, 300 BC to 1AD. It seems to have a Gnostic flavor: the LDS have studied it extensively, and seem to reverence it.
Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you. Luke 6:28

http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/
Old Apr 4, '12, 11:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandile View Post
I've read much of this book and I'd like to know why its not in the Bible. I personally see no problem with it (although my opinion is fallible in nature) and consider it very informative about the time of Enoch, just before the flood accounted in the book of Noah...

I don't see any problem with Clement's letter to the Corinthians either. Can't really tell a difference between it and one of Paul's letters. The problem is that the Catholic Church, being guided by the Holy Spirit, did not choose it as part of the canon of Sacred Scripture and we must trust in the authority of the Church to make this determination. There is a difference between writings that are informative, or even beauthiful and truthful, and those that are inspired.
"Let the time come when those who should oblige the servant of God, do the contrary to him, and what degree of patience and humility he has then, that is the degree he has and no more." - St. Francis of Assisi
Old Apr 4, '12, 12:00 pm

Send a message via AIM to Danuska

Even if there is no problem with some writing, it's not a reason to make it part of the Bible. There are many ancient early Christian writings that are of great value, but still are not considered to be part of the inspired Scripture. Like letters of Clement to Corinthians.
They are not bad or wrong or without any value, it's just the Church decided this is not inspired, infallible Scripture.
Old Apr 4, '12, 12:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerusha View Post
If you look deeper into the subject, you will find that it is of relatively recent authorship, 300 BC to 1AD. It seems to have a Gnostic flavor: the LDS have studied it extensively, and seem to reverence it.
Yeah I know its young date, but I think Paul even quoted the book when referencing the prophecy that Enoch made... The prophecy is directly from the Book of Enoch.

Now I'm not saying that quotations = inspired scripture... But this is a case of Paul confirming a piece of the Book of Enoch...

should agree with this Church [of Rome] , on account of its preeminent authority

St Irenaeus of Lyon
Old Apr 4, '12, 12:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonCatcher View Post
Actually, the Ethiopian Church (one of the Oriental churches) does include Enoch in their canon. It seems that church is the only one.
Yeah I know the Ethiopian Church includes the Book of enoch in their canon... Do you know what their reasoning is for including it in their canon?

St Irenaeus of Lyon
Old Apr 4, '12, 1:26 pm

Quote:
Yeah I know the Ethiopian Church includes the Book of enoch in their canon... Do you know what their reasoning is for including it in their canon?
The same reason that every Eastern Church includes the 151st psalm, most include 3 Maccabees,but the Ethiopian Church doesn't include 1 and 2 Maccabees.

It is part of the text received in their church since the beginning. Each of the earlier ecumenical councils that affirmed the canon was brought back to the participating churches (including the Ethiopians) as affirming the particular canon that church received. Trent was the first council that came up with an exhaustive list of books and it was largely a Western council.
Old Apr 4, '12, 2:13 pm

Religion: Anglican

Quote:

The Early Church Fathers already established the Holy Bible. They did this under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. It is set in stone for all time. And the book of Enoch seems to contradict what the rest of the Biblical Canon is saying. In the Book of Enoch the Nephilim are Angel/Human half breeds. This does not coincide with what Jesus says about the nature of Angels and what Moses says about Kinds. There may be another way to look at it but regardless what the early councils of the Church concluded is good with me. If I can't trust them on the canon of scripture, what can I trust them on?

As far as the Ethiopian Orthodox including it in their canon, it is fine. The Orthodox have always considered the extra books to be deutercanon. This places them on a secondary level below the 66 canonical books of the Bible.
Old Apr 4, '12, 2:14 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonCatcher View Post
The same reason that every Eastern Church includes the 151st psalm, most include 3 Maccabees,but the Ethiopian Church doesn't include 1 and 2 Maccabees.

It is part of the text received in their church since the beginning. Each of the earlier ecumenical councils that affirmed the canon was brought back to the participating churches (including the Ethiopians) as affirming the particular canon that church received. Trent was the first council that came up with an exhaustive list of books and it was largely a Western council.
It was also in answer to the Protestant schism and its denial of the divine authority of the deuterocanonicals. Trent did not actually close the canon ie declaring the Orthodox books as not inspired, rather it simply defined the deuterocanonicals as inspired scripture.
"...Everyone who has joined the ranks of Christ must be a glowing point of light in the world, a nucleus of love, a leaven of the whole mass. He will be so in proportion to his degree of spiritual union with God..."

- Blessed Pope John XXIII, Pacem in Terris (1963)
Old Apr 4, '12, 2:35 pm

Quote:
In the Book of Enoch the Nephilim are Angel/Human half breeds.
This is why LDS like it.
Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you. Luke 6:28

http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/
Old Apr 4, '12, 2:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeter View Post
And the book of Enoch seems to contradict what the rest of the Biblical Canon is saying. In the Book of Enoch the Nephilim are Angel/Human half breeds. This does not coincide with what Jesus says about the nature of Angels and what Moses says about Kinds.
Genesis 6:4 says Nephilim existed
Genesis 6:4 NIV The Nephilim were on the earth in those days - and also afterward - when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heros of old, men of renown.

I learned as a protestant that the Angels were called "sons of God" somtimes in the old testament (though maybe diffrent protestants believe otherwise). I am not saying that this means the book of Enoch should be in the bible, but doesnt Genesis 6:4 say that half Angel/Humans existed atleast in the past?
Old Apr 4, '12, 3:14 pm
Forum Master

The Book of Enoch is referred to, and quoted, in Jude 14-15

"Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen." St. Gertrude
Old Apr 4, '12, 3:16 pm

Religion: Anglican

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingBoy1503 View Post
Genesis 6:4 says Nephilim existed
Genesis 6:4 NIV The Nephilim were on the earth in those days - and also afterward - when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heros of old, men of renown.

I learned as a protestant that the Angels were called "sons of God" somtimes in the old testament (though maybe diffrent protestants believe otherwise). I am not saying that this means the book of Enoch should be in the bible, but doesnt Genesis 6:4 say that half Angel/Humans existed atleast in the past?
In the book of Job "Sons of God" translates to Angels but again this does not imply that the "sons of God" in Genesis translates to Angels. It is most probably referring to the descendants of Seth looking upon the daughters of Cain. The Nephilim were likely a society of taller people. To conclude otherwise runs contrary to what Jesus said about the nature of Angels and what Moses said about Kinds. This is one of the reasons the fathers excluded the Book of Enoch. I have to believe that the Early Church Fathers who were the Bishops who took over the Church after the Apostles died have a better understanding than what we do. Protestants (and I understand that Rome would consider me one) are opening doors that the Church has closed for all time. The book of Enoch has already been rejected. There is no need to speculate on that which God has ordained.

There may be another way of viewing it. Some say that the “sons of God” were spirit beings. Others think they were the righteous people living at that time, who fell into sin, intermarried with the heathen, and whose offspring then departed from the way of the Lord. Throughout history, pagan kings have often staked claim upon their thrones based upon claims that they are descended from such creatures.

Whichever they were, their offspring were the Nephilim (the Fallen Ones). Evidently, men often revered them as heroes but God viewed them as spiritually unjust. Their heirs (spiritually and by size, if not biologically) are seen even to the time of the Exodus (cf. Numbers 13:31-33). They were of giant stature and seemingly possessed great might in battle. Of the latter Nephilim, Goliath may have been a final vestige.

Last edited by JPeter; Apr 4, '12 at 3:30 pm.
Old Apr 4, '12, 3:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeter View Post
In the book of Job "Sons of God" translates to Angels but again this does not imply that the "sons of God" in Genesis translates to Angels. It is most probably referring to the descendants of Seth looking upon the daughters of Cain. The Nephilim were likely a society of taller people. To conclude otherwise runs contrary to what Jesus said about the nature of Angels and what Moses said about Kinds. This is one of the reasons the fathers excluded the Book of Enoch. I have to believe that the Early Church Fathers who were the Bishops who took over the Church after the Apostles died have a better understanding than what we do.
I think I know what scripture you are refering to when you say to conclude the Nephilim were half angel half human is contrary to what Jesus said about the nature of angels. I actully never thought of that. But what did Moses say about kinds? That I dont know.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions