Catholic FAQ


We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Apr 5, '12, 9:29 am
juliee juliee is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 13, 2008
Posts: 1,548
Religion: christian
Default Mississippi Could Become First Abortion-Free State

Mississippi Could Become First Abortion-Free State

Jackson, MS -- The Mississippi state Senate has approved a measure that abortion backers strongly oppose because it could resulting in stopping abortions at the last remaining abortion facility in the state, making it the first abortion-free state in the country.

http://www.lifenews.com/2012/04/05/m...on-free-state/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Apr 5, '12, 10:50 am
Corki's Avatar
Corki Corki is offline
Forum Master
 
Join Date: November 22, 2005
Posts: 13,772
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Mississippi Could Become First Abortion-Free State

__________________
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Apr 5, '12, 12:06 pm
_Abyssinia _Abyssinia is online now
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: May 20, 2011
Posts: 16,071
Religion: Catholic. Gender: Female
Default Re: Mississippi Could Become First Abortion-Free State

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Apr 6, '12, 10:05 pm
Hopey's Avatar
Hopey Hopey is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 15, 2011
Posts: 1,044
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Mississippi Could Become First Abortion-Free State

I really hope this does it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Apr 7, '12, 8:54 pm
cornbread_r2 cornbread_r2 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 11, 2011
Posts: 1,375
Default Re: Mississippi Could Become First Abortion-Free State

..because, as everyone knows, abortions are only performed in abortion clinics.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Apr 7, '12, 10:18 pm
Nate13 Nate13 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 9, 2011
Posts: 2,955
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Mississippi Could Become First Abortion-Free State

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbread_r2 View Post
..because, as everyone knows, abortions are only performed in abortion clinics.
Murders will happen regardless, but its nice when society doesn't help those people commit those murders.
__________________
“We are all born with the power of speech, but we need grammar. Conscience, too, needs Revelation.”
― Fulton J. Sheen
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Apr 7, '12, 10:55 pm
Uriah_Betrayed Uriah_Betrayed is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: April 5, 2012
Posts: 203
Default Re: Mississippi Could Become First Abortion-Free State

You can be sure the whole nations collective of Planned Parenthood and Pro-Choice minions will swarm Mississippi with their propaganda, protests, and pleas to Judges to force abortion on a population that doesn't want it.

Just like they've done everywhere else...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Apr 10, '12, 10:28 am
LittleSoldier's Avatar
LittleSoldier LittleSoldier is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 27, 2009
Posts: 5,673
Religion: ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH - Revert
Default Re: Mississippi Could Become First Abortion-Free State

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliee View Post
Mississippi Could Become First Abortion-Free State

Jackson, MS -- The Mississippi state Senate has approved a measure that abortion backers strongly oppose because it could resulting in stopping abortions at the last remaining abortion facility in the state, making it the first abortion-free state in the country.

http://www.lifenews.com/2012/04/05/m...on-free-state/
WOW! A state with only ONE abortion facility? And it's not even a tiny state, like Rhode Island. I'm impressed that it has gotten this far. I pray for success for Mississippi. But PP will fight it all the way and for some reason Obama seems to think of PP as his own personal project.

Let's knock PP down, raze every PP "clinic," burn them and let the ground swallow them up (sans all human beings who might be inside, of course). The slaughtering will still go on (we now have a PP "clinic" in my sweet little town) but this would be such a huge step in the right direction.
__________________
He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Apr 10, '12, 11:07 am
LJH_80 LJH_80 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 20, 2012
Posts: 185
Default Re: Mississippi Could Become First Abortion-Free State

Just for the record, this state is ranked #5 in teen pregnancy (as of 2005)
http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/USTPtrends.pdf

It's nice to know that whatever they're doing down there is working (for certain values of "working").

I'll wager that the states with the strongest pro-life leanings have higher teen pregnancy rates, lower education rates, and higher divorce rates.

Anyone want to take my wager?
__________________
My enemy is faulty logic more than any particular belief. Just because I disagree with how you got there, doesn't mean I disagree with your position
Before responding, please check and see if I was criticizing your position or your argument.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Apr 10, '12, 11:21 am
estesbob's Avatar
estesbob estesbob is online now
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: May 8, 2005
Posts: 38,758
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Mississippi Could Become First Abortion-Free State

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH_80 View Post
Just for the record, this state is ranked #5 in teen pregnancy (as of 2005)
http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/USTPtrends.pdf

It's nice to know that whatever they're doing down there is working (for certain values of "working").

I'll wager that the states with the strongest pro-life leanings have higher teen pregnancy rates, lower education rates, and higher divorce rates.

Anyone want to take my wager?
Why would it matter?
__________________
We ought to speak, shout out against injustices, with confidence and without fear. We proclaim the principles of the Church, the reign of love, without forgetting that it is also a reign of justice.

Miguel Agustin Pro
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Apr 10, '12, 2:07 pm
Farsight001 Farsight001 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: January 10, 2009
Posts: 2,456
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Mississippi Could Become First Abortion-Free State

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH_80 View Post
Just for the record, this state is ranked #5 in teen pregnancy (as of 2005)
http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/USTPtrends.pdf

It's nice to know that whatever they're doing down there is working (for certain values of "working").

I'll wager that the states with the strongest pro-life leanings have higher teen pregnancy rates, lower education rates, and higher divorce rates.

Anyone want to take my wager?
Perhaps you should cite a study done by an organization NOT founded and funded by PP, the very entity under discussion here.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Apr 10, '12, 2:27 pm
Lochias Lochias is offline
 
Join Date: June 10, 2011
Posts: 4,121
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Mississippi Could Become First Abortion-Free State

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH_80 View Post
Just for the record, this state is ranked #5 in teen pregnancy (as of 2005)
http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/USTPtrends.pdf

It's nice to know that whatever they're doing down there is working (for certain values of "working").

I'll wager that the states with the strongest pro-life leanings have higher teen pregnancy rates, lower education rates, and higher divorce rates.

Anyone want to take my wager?
I'll happily take that trade, in return for lower murder rates.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Apr 10, '12, 2:28 pm
Lochias Lochias is offline
 
Join Date: June 10, 2011
Posts: 4,121
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Mississippi Could Become First Abortion-Free State

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbread_r2 View Post
..because, as everyone knows, abortions are only performed in abortion clinics.
Sour grapes. At least people will know they won't be performed at this clinic if they go under.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Apr 15, '12, 9:34 am
LittleSoldier's Avatar
LittleSoldier LittleSoldier is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 27, 2009
Posts: 5,673
Religion: ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH - Revert
Default Re: Mississippi Could Become First Abortion-Free State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight001 View Post
Perhaps you should cite a study done by an organization NOT founded and funded by PP, the very entity under discussion here.
Excellent point.
__________________
He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Apr 15, '12, 10:02 am
LittleSoldier's Avatar
LittleSoldier LittleSoldier is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 27, 2009
Posts: 5,673
Religion: ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH - Revert
Default Re: Mississippi Could Become First Abortion-Free State

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH_80 View Post
Just for the record, this state is ranked #5 in teen pregnancy (as of 2005)
http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/USTPtrends.pdf

It's nice to know that whatever they're doing down there is working (for certain values of "working").

I'll wager that the states with the strongest pro-life leanings have higher teen pregnancy rates, lower education rates, and higher divorce rates.

Anyone want to take my wager?
Well, the burden of proof is on you. So you would need to provide statistics to back up your assertion and those statistics should be from an organization that is not pro-abortion or pro-life (actually stats from both organizations should be included and, really, stats from numerous organizations should be presented). Also, stats for all fifty states would need to be provided. By you.

You've chosen three hypotheses to study:
(1) states with the strongest pro-life "leanings" (that term would need an operational definition) have higher teen pregnancy rates;
(2) states with the strongest pro-life "leanings" (operational definition needed) have lower education rates than states with the weakest pro-life "leanings" - please remember the operational definition already mentioned and an operational definition for "lower education rates" would also need to be supplied - by you;
(3) states with the strongest pro-life "leanings" have higher divorce rates (of course remarriage rates should also be provided but that's just IMHO).

It looks like a lot of work to me. But instead of presenting it as a wager I would think it would be much stronger backup to your assertion (which currently has none except one figure, seven years old and provided by an organization known to be avidly pro-abortion) to present all those stats instead of just presenting a wager. Also, all confounding variables would need to be presented, along with an admission that any obtained results can be obtained because of chance. And conclusions of the research, along with a discussion of any problems, should also be presented. The findings of each study should be discussed - the methods used, the statistical analysis and its appropriateness, and the value of 'p' (the probability level would most likely be different in different studies).

Scientific method does not allow for proof. I hope everyone is aware of this.

If I accept your wager are you going to provide everything that is necessary to back up your assertion? Or would you expect me to do all that work?

It's really beyond the scope of this forum.

Just askin'.

-------------------------------------------------------

Whoo hoo! Just 700 more posts and I will move up from being a regular member!
__________________
He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8298Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5062CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: James_OPL
4349Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: James_OPL
4033OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: 3DOCTORS
3849SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3603Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: James_OPL
3257Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3210Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3181Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3063For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: ineeda



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 8:44 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.