Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 6, '12, 6:01 pm

Religion: Catholic/Philosopher
Question Homosexuality as sexist

I suggest that the recent rise of homosexuality is a reaction made by a patriarchical culture to the movement to give women equal rights. Homosexuals are trying to derive women even of the status in human relationships.

A homosexual is effectively saying "I can go ahead and have a sexual relationship without including women, without having the consent of a woman." Homosexuality seems to be all about reducing the power and status of women- of making them unnecessary. I think, in spirit and effect, it is almost akin to rape.

Does anyone else see it this way?
Old Apr 6, '12, 6:08 pm

Religion: Atheist
Default Re: Homosexuality as sexist

What about female homosexuals? There are a lot of them too. Also, you seem to be forgetting that homosexuality is not a new thing. It's been around as long as people have been around. And I don't follow you on how it's akin to rape - could you explain that please?
Old Apr 6, '12, 6:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
What about female homosexuals? There are a lot of them too. Also, you seem to be forgetting that homosexuality is not a new thing. It's been around as long as people have been around. And I don't follow you on how it's akin to rape - could you explain that please?

Sure- it is akin to rape in that it removes the aspect of female consent (i.e. love) from the sexual act. It reduces it to seomthing that is only about the desire of the male(s).
Old Apr 6, '12, 6:37 pm
Banned

Religion: None

Yeah, I don't think this makes sense at all.

Would you also say that female homosexuals are trying to reduce the status and importance of men by refusing their advances?
Old Apr 6, '12, 6:47 pm

Religion: Protestant Church

Okay this is silly. Nowhere is this in the Church's catechism which I'm pretty sure says something about unneeded discrimination. Nowhere do they say anything about this topic.

I like how people on CAF love to gossip about how dirty, nasty, and evil homosexuals are.
Of course then everyone's going to gain up on me for defending them and say that none of this happens on CAF!

If you'd like I'd be glad to post links from the archives to prove my point!
Old Apr 6, '12, 7:43 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoeleth View Post
I suggest that the recent rise of homosexuality is a reaction made by a patriarchical culture to the movement to give women equal rights. Homosexuals are trying to derive women even of the status in human relationships.

A homosexual is effectively saying "I can go ahead and have a sexual relationship without including women, without having the consent of a woman." Homosexuality seems to be all about reducing the power and status of women- of making them unnecessary. I think, in spirit and effect, it is almost akin to rape.

I don't believe in such a thing. Homosexuality is not some made up reaction against women's rights. It's a cross that some people have to bear.

Humilitas
ó Pope John Paul I and Pope Benedict XVI
Old Apr 6, '12, 8:18 pm
Banned

Religion: Raised Catholic

Quote:

There is no such thing, IMHO. Being open about one's homosexuality is more possible today in most countries as opposed to 40-50 years ago. Attraction is the key element. I don't think 250 pound women are attractive, I have no ulterior motive other than the fact that I'm not attracted to overly overweight women. Don't overthink things.
Old Apr 6, '12, 8:24 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:

I don't follow your logic. They still have to have the consent of the other person.
Old Apr 6, '12, 8:57 pm
Banned

Lightbulb Re: Homosexuality as sexist

Quote:

A homosexual man has sex with a homosexual man as an expression to limit women.

Umm . . . let me think about that . . . intriguing thought . . . yes, indeed . . . most intriguing.

A homosexual woman has sex with a homosexual woman as an expression to limit . . . ?

Umm . . .

Well, therefore, homosexuality must be an expression to limit heterosexuality.

Yes, that has to be true . . . I mean . . . yes!

Yes, yes, yes, I see it as you see it.

Why I never saw this before . . . Iíll never know . . . thank you, for your luminescence on kinship to rape.

Old Apr 6, '12, 9:37 pm

Quote:

Lesbians disprove you entire argument (which seems to be an attempt to flip lesbian as a political identity to be about men and then layer accusations about patriarchy).

(Perhaps) Ironically there were (are?) feminists who believed women should not engage in sex with men and instead should engage in sex with women as a means to disempower men.
Old Apr 6, '12, 10:07 pm

Religion: Atheist

Quote:
Sure- it is akin to rape in that it removes the aspect of female consent (i.e. love) from the sexual act. It reduces it to seomthing that is only about the desire of the male(s).
Male-male sexual relations have nothing to do with female consent. There is no female involved, so there is no female to either consent or not consent. That's like saying the Kentucky derby is a political move to disempower the ostrich racers. It makes no sense.

Also, homosexuals are just as capable of being in love as heterosexuals. Certainly there is physical desire, but it can also be an expression of love between the two men (it isn't always, but straight relations aren't either).
Old Apr 7, '12, 2:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Roberts View Post
Lesbians disprove you entire argument (which seems to be an attempt to flip lesbian as a political identity to be about men and then layer accusations about patriarchy).

(Perhaps) Ironically there were (are?) feminists who believed women should not engage in sex with men and instead should engage in sex with women as a means to disempower men.

But aren't a lot of lesbians anti-men????? Doesn't that actually prove my point.

Gay men are sexist against women.
Gay women are sexist against men.

Both are contrary to God, and proper gender relations- "male and female he created them"
Old Apr 7, '12, 7:03 am
Banned

I think you'll find misogyny and androgyny in both camps, perhaps more so in lesbians (just my hunch). It's been said before that women's sexuality is more fluid than man's, so bisexuality is not that big of a deal for many women, and I presume having an overly negative male figure (father, stepfather) could play a role in a woman being exclusively with women. I don't think it works quite as "nicely" for males, though, retreating to homosexuality because one is anti-women, as it were (it's funny to be anti-women knowing you wouldn't even exist without them), would probably be the biggest rationalization known to human kind ever since the Cro-Magnon has gone extinct. Of course, jail is a whole different issue.
Old Apr 7, '12, 12:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertanthony View Post
I think you'll find misogyny and androgyny in both camps, perhaps more so in lesbians (just my hunch). It's been said before that women's sexuality is more fluid than man's, so bisexuality is not that big of a deal for many women, and I presume having an overly negative male figure (father, stepfather) could play a role in a woman being exclusively with women. I don't think it works quite as "nicely" for males, though, retreating to homosexuality because one is anti-women, as it were (it's funny to be anti-women knowing you wouldn't even exist without them), would probably be the biggest rationalization known to human kind ever since the Cro-Magnon has gone extinct. Of course, jail is a whole different issue.
If you want an anecdote showing female sexuality as more fluid just look around the forum, as far as I know all the "former gays" are women, heck Melinda is married with kids! As for the guys, no such luck.
Old Apr 7, '12, 1:15 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertanthony View Post
Sic. I meant "misandry".

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice