Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 7, '12, 11:56 am

Default Why do athiests hate Christians but not other religious people?

I see it on youtube, random forums, and I saw it on DA (before I decided to leave for that very reason). If you're a Christian you get a whole lot of trouble, mainly from athiests. I've never been trolled at or flamed by an Agnostic, a Jew, or anything else. I only get trouble from athiets. Why do they hate Christians? I feel like saying "I dare you to say that to an insert violent religious practitioner here." (I don't for fear of being attacked myself, like Theo van Gogh). I mean, realistically I know Im not well enough known, but even so. So anyway, why is it athiests hate Christians?

Ps. You can test it out for yourself if youd like. Jews who ask religious questions on yahoo answers get serious answers, as do muslims. But a Christian? Pft. It's a manure storm of athiesm and the basement-dwelling wise guys who thinks they are enlightening you.
Old Apr 7, '12, 1:07 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Why do athiests hate Christians but not other religious people?

I would love to say you're wrong, and that it's just the sites you've looked at, but I think you're right

I think there's a few reason:
  • We're a soft target - we won't hit back.
  • We're counter-cultural - we are against the whole culture of death and we call it like we see it
  • We're not shy about proclaiming the authority of Church teaching
  • We refuse to compromise on certain issues - like married clergy, women priests, homosexuality
  • We've got a misunderstood and mis-represented history - Crusades, Galileo, Pius XII and Hitler
  • Other Christian Churches preach against us - the Church is the Whore of Babylon etc.,
  • Our leaders wear funny clothes
  • We challenge people to live lives that are holy and blameless in God's sight
  • Our Church has been rocked by scandals, but we still won't back down on sexual issues.
  • We admit that our people can be wrong (sinful), but not that our faith is wrong.
  • We have the historical right to claim that we have contributed an immense amount to the advancement of science, but we refuse to accept the conclusions that many scientists reach.
  • We don't behave like victims, but like those assured of final victory.

No wonder we upset the rabble, the intelligentsia, the cultural elite and political leaders.

Last edited by triumphguy; Apr 7, '12 at 1:26 pm.
Old Apr 7, '12, 1:12 pm
Book Club Member

I've often thought (since Christianity is the most common religion in North America) that some atheists have been exposed to people in their lives who are Christian and behave in an un-Christian manner. So, they may be judging the entire religion on the actions of a few. I've, once in a while, felt a bit cynical towards some of my fellow Christians.
Old Apr 7, '12, 1:25 pm

Religion: roman catholic

Because they're under the influence of evil, real evil. Evil that knows there is only one true God, and one true Savior for mankind.
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31
Old Apr 7, '12, 1:35 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biblelove13 View Post
I see it on youtube, random forums, and I saw it on DA (before I decided to leave for that very reason). If you're a Christian you get a whole lot of trouble, mainly from athiests. I've never been trolled at or flamed by an Agnostic, a Jew, or anything else. I only get trouble from athiets. Why do they hate Christians? I feel like saying "I dare you to say that to an insert violent religious practitioner here." (I don't for fear of being attacked myself, like Theo van Gogh). I mean, realistically I know Im not well enough known, but even so. So anyway, why is it athiests hate Christians?

Ps. You can test it out for yourself if youd like. Jews who ask religious questions on yahoo answers get serious answers, as do muslims. But a Christian? Pft. It's a manure storm of athiesm and the basement-dwelling wise guys who thinks they are enlightening you.
You know, that's a really good question...And I think you are right...I don't see atheists going after Islam in the same way they attack Christianity. A true a-theist (no diety) would not really care what you or I or the Jew next door believe. He does not believe in a God and should not truly care about our rituals. Ex-Christians, who call themselves atheists, however, DO care very much about our God. They are angry at God and want to destroy religions. Ex-Catholics who join that group are some of the worst, it's like a personal vendetta.

By the way, Theo Van Gogh was not killed by atheists but by a Muslim.
Old Apr 7, '12, 1:42 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Because in the West, Christianity is more prevelant in the hearts, minds and history of our culture and people than any other.

In Britain, it is also state-sanctioned.
Old Apr 7, '12, 1:47 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to ndeparis88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
You know, that's a really good question...And I think you are right...I don't see atheists going after Islam in the same way they attack Christianity. A true a-theist (no diety) would not really care what you or I or the Jew next door believe. He does not believe in a God and should not truly care about our rituals. Ex-Christians, who call themselves atheists, however, DO care very much about our God. They are angry at God and want to destroy religions. Ex-Catholics who join that group are some of the worst, it's like a personal vendetta.

By the way, Theo Van Gogh was not killed by atheists but by a Muslim.
I do second this. I actually see Atheist agreeing with Muslims, or rather also Muslims who are "heretics" against their own faith. Also when they see other Christians who may have bullied them from school, or Christians who tell them they have to live lives worthy of Christ don't do that themselves. I feel really bad because the way they see the people they see the Church that way.

Also the Catholic Church has the best sound arguments for the Faith. But I think I like the second post's response bullet about the fact that we are so counter cultural. No where through time have we followed an Earthly norm per say.

I think in a sense the Atheist are doing everything they can to condemn us because they don't look in the mirror and take a look at the sinful person in it. They know in the back of their heads that the things of the world will never satisfy them, but they want to justify their actions and you can't do that when there is a God. Now I'm not saying Atheist are mean and nasty or dumb. I know a few Atheist who are actually respectful to people of Faith. But I also think that as time goes on from now that might end.

faith seeking understanding
Old Apr 7, '12, 2:04 pm
Banned

Religion: Not a believer

I do not know any atheists who hate Christians. I know quite a few who have no respect for Christian belief, and many who consider Christians hypocritical because of the actions of Christians over the centuries. Every atheist I know who holds these views would have them in greater degree towards Islam and Muslims. I think that people dispute with those they come in contact with, and where there is a chance (they think) of changing minds. I imagine St Paul had head of Hinduism, but he seems not t have attacked it as he did other beliefs. Proximity and potential, I would think.
Old Apr 7, '12, 2:14 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Jewish

There are probably several reasons. One may be the perception that Christianity is the dominant religion both in the present and historically. Another may be unfortunate personal experiences with Christians who have been less than tolerant and have thus colored their perception of all Christians. A third reason may be the perception that Christianity is the most dogmatic and uncompromising of religions, and one of the very few that believe in salvation only by means of adopting their own beliefs.
Old Apr 7, '12, 2:18 pm
Banned
Forum Supporter

Religion: catholic
Send a message via AIM to AlanFromWichita

Atheism is a religion. It says, "I know there is no God."

Agnosticism is not a religion. "I am not sure if there is a God."

I'd guess most self-proclaimed atheists, including some I've known, are really agnostics at heart, and they know it. They know it's silly, but like a lottery ticket, "what if I'm wrong?"

So my model is this. We have lotsa people who are agnostics 99.999% sure of no God, who are claiming to be 100% sure. Their egos have to raise up structures to pretend to be totally blind, not just 99% +. That way they don't have to deal with people maybe showing them the truth and them finding out they were wrong.

Alan
Old Apr 7, '12, 2:19 pm

Religion: Atheist

I don't hate Christians. Some of them may frustrate, hurt, anger, or scare me, but I don't hate them. In fact, many of the people closest to me are Christians.

However, I do get angry with the political and legislative stances of Christians. I often find them downright oppressive and I spend a lot of time and resources fighting against them. In this country Christians have more political power and influence than Muslims and Jews. Why would I fight against a group that doesn't have any power? Its not Muslims that are trying to control women, hurt homosexuals, teach creation, put prayer in schools, etc.

If I lived in an area dominated by Muslims, Jews, Shintos, whatever I would probably feel threatened by them and not care at all what Christians are doing.
Old Apr 7, '12, 2:28 pm
Banned
Forum Supporter

Religion: catholic
Send a message via AIM to AlanFromWichita

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyedLady View Post
teach creation,
Tell me about it. Kansas is internationally infamous for its stupid bickering on the science v. religion thing.

We've had warning stickers on our science books, and all sorts of things.

Note, BlueEyedLady, that in my children's conservative Catholic high school, they teach creation in religion class, and evolution in science. I've had five kids through it so far and taught the same thing.

Alan
Old Apr 7, '12, 2:30 pm

Religion: On the spiritual path...again!
Send a message via MSN to Kouyate42

I'd argue the following reasons:

- Christianity is usually the religion that most atheists were raised in, either their family being Christian or Catholic. Richard Dawkins was raised in a vaguely CofE family, and attended a school which taught the CofE doctrine. Christopher Hitchens has been involved in the Greek Orthodox Church via marriage and earlier in the Anglican Church.

- These said atheists are often living in the UK or US, where Christian influence is still a large part of Western culture even where active religious activity is not.

- Christians are largely apathetic about challenging insults to their religion. Compare the furore over the Jyllands Posten Muhammad drawings over the relatively non-existent protest when Jesus was portrayed in a nappy in Jerry Springer: The Opera.

- Catholics seem to come under particular attack in the UK simply because there still looms a decent amount of anti-Catholicism. In the more general sense, too many other churches attack Catholicism, and it has become an easy target as a result.

- Christianity is still in most Western countries a majority religion. 72% of the UK is Christian, and the US would likely produce similarly high figures. Muslims make up 3% of the UK population. Jews are roughly 0.5% of the UK population. So the threat that atheists sense lies with the majority, the Christians.

Nothing is more dangerous than a dogmatic worldview - nothing more constraining, more blinding to innovation, more destructive of openness to novelty.
-Stephen Jay Gould

Old Apr 7, '12, 2:35 pm

@BlueEyedLady: If you lived in an area dominated by Moslems you probably wouldn't be able to express your opinion at all.
Old Apr 7, '12, 2:44 pm

Religion: Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy View Post
@BlueEyedLady: If you lived in an area dominated by Moslems you probably wouldn't be able to express your opinion at all.
Not true. Middle East? Nope. Many places in central and south America? Yep.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality