Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 8, '12, 6:14 pm
Radio Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Weather vs. climate

Interesting video that makes a valid point.

But the trendline in the video is not the only one possible given the variations shown, and it does not address how far back the trend (with its own cycles?) goes.

Got this from a very cool blog, Flowing Data, presents all sorts of stuff in visual form.

Quote:
If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and no measures you want to vote for...but there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong.
Old Apr 8, '12, 7:40 pm

Religion: non-demominational
Default Re: Weather vs. climate

I am confused is it basically saying that the weather is trending hotter along with the climate? Which would make sense I just havent seen someone do a graph of it like that.
Old Apr 8, '12, 8:07 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Obviously, we're heading for the dog days of summer.
we pray.
- St. Augustine of Hippo

Join us at The Fasting Group: http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=1838

Join us at the group, Baseball fans: http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=1500
Old Apr 8, '12, 9:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliso View Post
I am confused is it basically saying that the weather is trending hotter along with the climate? Which would make sense I just havent seen someone do a graph of it like that.
In global warming terms, this would say that an extremely cold year does not disprove global warming, (and, of course, an extremely hot year does not prove it). Someone using this sort of thing in favor of global would say that things are getting warmer in general, but that there will be lots of variation and the increase in temperature is slow enough so that a casual glance at a small selection of temperature data may or may not be enough to notice.

Or, if you prefer, "the climate" (a sort of average of what could be going on) is tending hotter, and the "weather" (the stuff we actually experience) is likely to be within a certain range of that average climate thing. So the minimum and maximum likely temperature would be seen as increasing, but whether or not the actual temperature does - so long as it's (mostly) within those bounds - would be random at any given point.

I'm not actually saying that this is going on (I tend to save my worrying for other things), but that is what he's saying, more or less.
Old Apr 8, '12, 9:25 pm

Religion: non-demominational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Donkey View Post
In global warming terms, this would say that an extremely cold year does not disprove global warming, (and, of course, an extremely hot year does not prove it). Someone using this sort of thing in favor of global would say that things are getting warmer in general, but that there will be lots of variation and the increase in temperature is slow enough so that a casual glance at a small selection of temperature data may or may not be enough to notice.

Or, if you prefer, "the climate" (a sort of average of what could be going on) is tending hotter, and the "weather" (the stuff we actually experience) is likely to be within a certain range of that average climate thing. So the minimum and maximum likely temperature would be seen as increasing, but whether or not the actual temperature does - so long as it's (mostly) within those bounds - would be random at any given point.

I'm not actually saying that this is going on (I tend to save my worrying for other things), but that is what he's saying, more or less.
Ahh ok I get it I accept global warming I just haven;t seen one do a graph of weather against climate like this.
Old Apr 9, '12, 1:10 pm

Another way I like to discuss it is that the 1970s atlas we got from a garage sale it still pretty useful -- it shows climate, and that has changed but not a whole lot (tho the seed companies are having to redraw their zones a bit to reflect global warming).

Whereas weathermen can hardly predict a few days in advance.....

Or from the social sciences: Durkheim, a father of sociology, noted that even though it is hard to predict individual suicides (and there may be many factors and types of factors involved, so each suicide is unique), suicide rates didn't change much year to year.

He came up with an explanation for why such rates were higher in Protestant than Catholic countries, among men than women, and among the rich than among the poor, and also why they were increasing.

Likewise there are somewhat simpler factors that impact climate (the statistical aggregate of weather) than those that impact the particular weather configuration in Podunk, USA on April 9, 2012.

"Preach the Gospel at all times and if necessary use words."
-- St. Francis of Assisi

"I want to spend my Heaven doing good on Earth."
-- St. Therese of the Child Jesus

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence