Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 9, '12, 9:45 pm

Religion: Catholic (convert)
Default How to raise a cradle Catholic?

I haven't posted much! But have already gotten a lot of good advice on CAF by reading the threads and I'm hoping there is one more thing y'all can help me with.

I was raised Southern Baptist and converted to Catholicism Easter 2002. My husband was also raised as a Protestant. We now have 2 wonderful children. I feel like I missed out on so much Catholic culture growing up and I don't want my kids to miss out in that way.

So my question is, how do you raise a cradle Cattholic? What traditions can we start with them so they "feel" Catholic?

Some things we are doing:
- weekly Mass
- learning traditional prayers (ex. Hail Mary) and incorporating them into daily life
- I gave them boosk about saints and angels for Easter.

I really appreciate any ideas you have.
Old Apr 9, '12, 10:13 pm

Default Re: How to raise a cradle Catholic?

Learning the basics is a good start. With young kids I think it is important to show your enthusasim over your faith. That will rub off on them. That way they don't come to think of Catholicism as just a bunch of words and prayers to memorize. Constantly tell them about God, Jesus, Mary, and the saints. Tell them about their guardian angels. Pray the rosary as a family. Read Bible stories. Always say a nightly prayer when putting them to sleep. As they get older, teach them about right and wrong in the context of the Catholic faith. And most importantly, live as a faithful and dedicated Catholic to set a good example for them.
Old Apr 9, '12, 10:42 pm

Religion: Catholic

I would also say make sure you stress the importance of the sacraments as a way to have gods grace. When they are old enough in addition going to Mass and recieving the Eucharist make it a family practice to all go to confession together maybe twice a month.

I would also get some sacramentals for your home, like holy water, crucifix ect to constantly remind you of your committment to god.

Also, teach them what the Church teaches and how to defend her teachings when they get a little older.

I was a cradle Catholic who became "luke warm" for a little bit but came back to the Church with a vengence when I was challenged by a Protestant to defend why Catholics do what they do in order to convert me. The more I looked at the claims the more I realized how much sense the Church made and how beautiful her Traditions and theology actually were. It caused me to come running back to the Church with a new found zeal. I think knowing why Catholics do what they do will keep them in the Church. In essence make sure you Catechise them well.
Old Apr 9, '12, 10:47 pm

I'm a convert as well, and I'm finding that my sons, 6 and 9, are really benefiting from Catholic School. They have weekly Mass and a rich Sacramental program. It is a sacrifice to send them, but well worth it. My younger son, who is in Kindergarten, has especially developed a love for the Saints, the Mass and the Faith. His goal is to work in the Vatican Library!! We attend Mass as a family and read about the lives of the Saints before bedtime. My older son's First Communion last year was the one of the most beautiful things I've ever witnessed. Not all Catholic Schools are created equally, but if you are fortunate enough to have a good one nearby, I strongly recommend it.
Old Apr 10, '12, 8:29 am

Bring it into your everyday life.
When your faith becomes a routine part of your family culture, then it becomes effortless.
Going to Mass is a GIVEN, a PRIVILEGE, and a BLESSING... don't make it anything close to a burden. Kids pick up on what you consider to be "burdens"...
Daily prayers become comforts in their disciplined routine. It should feel awkward to be out of your routine.

Tailgate in style! - SharperTailgating.com
Old Apr 10, '12, 9:33 am

I'm a cradle Catholic who fell away a bit but am now stronger in my faith than I have ever been and I think about this same thing quite a bit. I want to raise my kids in a way that helps keep them strong in the faith (not to mention getting my son back to where he needs to be faith-wise). We pray the Rosary every night, I read stories about the saints to the kids, we watch religious movies and I try to talk to them about religious topics whenever I can. Even if my wife or the kids can't make it to Mass due to illness or whatever, I make sure that I go and I make sure they see it. I go to Confession whenever I need it, bring everyone with me who's available at the time, and I talk to them about it before and after (not about any specific sins but about why it's important, etc.).

Even with everything I'm doing, I'm sure there's more I can do. Also, a big struggle I'm seeing is that, even among their Catholic school classmates, my daughters are seen as "odd" due to us praying nightly and going to Mass each week (they tend not to bring up anything further due to the negative reaction they got when they mentioned the Rosary). I'm sure it will get to be more of a struggle keeping them on the right path, but I'll continue doing what I can to lead them in the right direction. I've read several articles now that show that the biggest impact on a child's faith formation is the father's role in it and I don't plan on letting my kids down.
Old Apr 10, '12, 9:32 pm

Thank you all for your responses - I really appreciate the suggestions. It helps me know the direction I need to be headed.

I think I'm a little panicked at the way I see older kids behaving/dressing these days. I want to make sure my kids feel "set apart" from the common culture and a part for something special. I suppose if all else fails, there is always the "lock them in the house" backup plan.
Old Apr 11, '12, 6:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacour View Post
Thank you all for your responses - I really appreciate the suggestions. It helps me know the direction I need to be headed.

I think I'm a little panicked at the way I see older kids behaving/dressing these days. I want to make sure my kids feel "set apart" from the common culture and a part for something special. I suppose if all else fails, there is always the "lock them in the house" backup plan.
Well, honestly - you can't protect them forever. Also, scripture says we are the light of the world... and you don't light a lamp and put it under a basket. Teach your children to live IN the world, but not OF the world. Which means they need to get a little "street smart" and learn how to deal with the nastiness that's OF this world and still not let it get to them spiritually. It's okay to point out bad behavior/dress to your children and explain WHY we don't behave/act/dress this way. Hiding them from it doesn't solve the problem nor teach a lesson.

Tailgate in style! - SharperTailgating.com
Old Apr 11, '12, 7:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em_in_FL View Post
Well, honestly - you can't protect them forever. Also, scripture says we are the light of the world... and you don't light a lamp and put it under a basket. Teach your children to live IN the world, but not OF the world. Which means they need to get a little "street smart" and learn how to deal with the nastiness that's OF this world and still not let it get to them spiritually. It's okay to point out bad behavior/dress to your children and explain WHY we don't behave/act/dress this way. Hiding them from it doesn't solve the problem nor teach a lesson.
I 100% agree with you. That's why I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to lay the right groundwork now when they are young (4 and 2), so that as they get older those lessons will be natural extensions of our "family culture". Since I didn't grow up with that kind of culture I'm brainstorming ways of developing that for my kids now. I've watched some of my younger cousins get really lost in their teens and twenties and I suspect it's in part because their parents spelled out the rules but didn't do the work to help their kids grow in the understanding of why those rules need to be there.
Old Apr 11, '12, 8:46 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacour View Post
I haven't posted much! But have already gotten a lot of good advice on CAF by reading the threads and I'm hoping there is one more thing y'all can help me with.

I was raised Southern Baptist and converted to Catholicism Easter 2002. My husband was also raised as a Protestant. We now have 2 wonderful children. I feel like I missed out on so much Catholic culture growing up and I don't want my kids to miss out in that way.

So my question is, how do you raise a cradle Cattholic? What traditions can we start with them so they "feel" Catholic?

Some things we are doing:
- weekly Mass
- learning traditional prayers (ex. Hail Mary) and incorporating them into daily life
- I gave them boosk about saints and angels for Easter.

I really appreciate any ideas you have.
Are they baptized? In CCD? Preparing them long-term for the other sacraments? They ARE Catholic if they are baptized! Read to them, the life of the saints. Teach them the rosary and other Marian prayers. As they get older, take them to Adoration with you. Be joyful after confession. Make friends at church and socialize with other Catholics. Let them light candles and say prayers for their friends. Pray to their guardian angels. Pray to St. Christopher in the car. Pray, pray, pray.

Our Church is so rich in traditions...You will have a lot to draw from. My mother was convert and she was very devout. She transferred the faith to me and I owe her my own reversion. God bless you in your Catholic family journey!
Old Apr 11, '12, 10:17 pm

Teach your children to pray. Tell them about Jesus. Answer their questions as best you can. Find out what you need to do in your parish to ensure they receive the sacraments. I think its just a matter of including them and coming together in prayer as a family.
Old Apr 18, '12, 7:21 am

Great thread! I so needed this. It's tricky. My seven year-old is, along with me, in love with the Church. She and I are going to model for and teach her infant brother as he grows.

However....

Hubby is a "recovering Catholic" and wants nothing to do with religion. My soon-to-be teen son is slowly coming around from atheist to agnostic (his dad is very, very liberal and very militant agnostic) and my stepson is being raised Pagan. My teenager attends a liberal Anglican church but is starting to make friends with a couple of Catholic gals at high school.

So, OP, I feel you! I think it's great that Catholicism does offer the structure and the liturgical means. I felt like I missed out on being a cradle Catholic. I don't anymore; I probably would have wound up feeling about the Church the way my husband and his family does! I think our kids are going to benefit from our experiences and our being in love with the Church.

Old Apr 18, '12, 7:24 am

Oh...

How old are your kids? My seven year-old is learning the rosary with me and goes to weekly Eucharistic Adoration with me when we can. She started just doing a simplified, one decade rosary and is building up. That has been wonderful. Also, I got some Lighthouse Media CDs from our parish during Lent and listen to those in the car! (Captive audiences, my children! ) There is also iCatholic Radio for Smart phones. I listen to that and also Fr. Barron's YouTube videos. I try and time that for when the kids are in and out of whatever room I'm in.

Also, I think modeling your faith is most important. My sister and I were talking about this. What is that quote from St. Francis? "Spread the gospel at all times; when necessary, use words." I try and keep that in mind, especially when I'm around our older children!!
Old Apr 18, '12, 10:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyMermaid View Post
Oh...

How old are your kids? My seven year-old is learning the rosary with me and goes to weekly Eucharistic Adoration with me when we can. She started just doing a simplified, one decade rosary and is building up. That has been wonderful. Also, I got some Lighthouse Media CDs from our parish during Lent and listen to those in the car! (Captive audiences, my children! ) There is also iCatholic Radio for Smart phones. I listen to that and also Fr. Barron's YouTube videos. I try and time that for when the kids are in and out of whatever room I'm in.

Also, I think modeling your faith is most important. My sister and I were talking about this. What is that quote from St. Francis? "Spread the gospel at all times; when necessary, use words." I try and keep that in mind, especially when I'm around our older children!!
Our kids range from newborn to 21. Our 8 & 10-year-old are the best when it comes to faith matters, but they've had the benefit of us being stronger in our faith for more of their lives. We missed out on a lot of that with our son, but we're doing what we can to make up for it at this point. He seems open to a lot of what I tell him, which helps. It's definitely a struggle at times, though.

With our girls, our 10-year-old is a real champ when it comes to the Rosary. She seldom feels the need to "say it in her head" (our 8-year-old does this when she doesn't want to say it), and will take over leading it from me when I have to deal with one of the babies. One thing I started the other night with the 8-year-old was just having her say the second half of each prayer. That got her to stick with it through the whole Rosary, so I'll try that with her for a while. Of the older kids, our son is the least interested in the Rosary. I don't force it on him but he no longer leaves the room when we do it and he participates occasionally. On the nights when he's less interested, I will put him on the spot sometimes and have him say a Hail Mary or two just to keep him involved.

As far as captive audiences go, I seldom have anything on in the car anymore other than EWTN radio. It provides a lot of opportunities to start up religious conversations, especially with my wife and son. There were some complaints when I started listening to it nearly full time, but that seldom happens anymore.
Old Apr 18, '12, 2:09 pm

I am going to say....celebrate!

--Celebrate on the anniversary of your children's baptisms. It's their "birthday" into the Church

--Celebrate your children's feast days (i.e. their patron saint namesake's feast)

--Celebrate major feasts...I always reccommend this blog, but it is that good! http://catholicicing.com/ It has tons of awesome ideas and downloads for Catholic crafts, traditions, and feast day fun. For example, last weekend was Divine Mercy Sunday, so in addition to multiple relevant crafts, they had an idea for a Divine Mercy Sundae, lol. They used a berry heart, with cream rays sprinkled with blue and red Kids eat this stuff up (Haha)

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting