Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 10, '12, 12:54 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default From the Rite, significance of Beelzebub, Baal and Leviathan

Read and watched The Rite!

Can someone save me some research? I don't want to open any "doors" to the spiritual realm.

1) Is it true that all sin is enticed by demon? Like if I thought of cheating on a test, was it the demon that pushed me or were it the thoughts?

2) Who is Beelzebub, Baal and Leviathan? History, scriptures, etc...

3) Why do exorcists look for Beelzebub, Baal and Leviathan first? Are they the top 3 strongest demons next to Lucifer?

4) Are certain demons specializing in certain sins? For example Baal with lust, Beelzebub with murder etc..

5) Are Lucifer/Satan, Beelzebub, Asmodeus and Leviathan the same spirit?

6) What is the relationship between Beelzebub, Satan/Lucifer, Asmodeus, Baal and Leviathan? Were they friends in heaven before turning away from God? I ask because St. Michael asked help from St. Gabriel in the bible.
Old Apr 10, '12, 1:30 pm
Forum Master
Radio Club Member

Default Re: From the Rite, significance of Beelzebub, Baal and Leviathan

Off-hand, the answer to #1 is the "world, flesh, and the devil." Now in a certain perspective, my personal understanding says that the devil is in some sense behind all sin because he tempted Adam and Eve and original sin resulted in the world and the flesh in corruption. But you will hear "the world, flesh, and the devil" as a phrase often used by clergy.

Just a general thought on the other questions - I've read a few exorcist books, including the Rite, and there isn't necessarily a "science" to it, although different demons seem to have their own personalities. Exorcism is still a developing field. Some demons might lie about their names too, whereas some are compelled by the power of the rite to speak the truth. I would surmise that it is difficult to get too precise with demonic behavior, although there are guidelines the Church is learning, as you read in The Rite.
Old Apr 10, '12, 2:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeraphim View Post
Read and watched The Rite!

Can someone save me some research? I don't want to open any "doors" to the spiritual realm.

1) Is it true that all sin is enticed by demon? Like if I thought of cheating on a test, was it the demon that pushed me or were it the thoughts?

2) Who is Beelzebub, Baal and Leviathan? History, scriptures, etc...

3) Why do exorcists look for Beelzebub, Baal and Leviathan first? Are they the top 3 strongest demons next to Lucifer?

4) Are certain demons specializing in certain sins? For example Baal with lust, Beelzebub with murder etc..

5) Are Lucifer/Satan, Beelzebub, Asmodeus and Leviathan the same spirit?

6) What is the relationship between Beelzebub, Satan/Lucifer, Asmodeus, Baal and Leviathan? Were they friends in heaven before turning away from God? I ask because St. Michael asked help from St. Gabriel in the bible.
Old Apr 10, '12, 3:09 pm

1. I don't know. But I will caution against saying that ALL sin is caused by one thing or another, aside from what is known from our catechism.

2. Suffice it to say that they are not on God's side

4. This is straight from the Wikipedia article on the seven deadly sins:
"In 1589, Peter Binsfeld paired each of the deadly sins with a demon, who tempted people by means of the associated sin. According to Binsfeld's classification of demons, the pairings are as follows

Lucifer: Pride (superbia)
Mammon: Greed (avaritia)
Asmodeus: Lust (luxuria)
Leviathan: Envy (invidia)
Beelzebub: Gluttony (gula or gullia)
Satan/Amon/Behemoth: Wrath (ira)
Belphegor: Sloth (acedia)

This contrasts slightly with an earlier series of pairings found in the fifteenth century English Lollard tract Lanterne of Light, which differs in pairing Beelzebub with Envy, Abadon with Sloth, Belphegor with Gluttony and matching Lucifer with Pride, Satan/Amon with Wrath, Asmodeus with Lust and Mammon with Avarice."

As for the other questions, my honest answer is that there is no need for anyone to know, unless that somebody is an exorcist. I suppose I would say the same for #4, but I suppose it is fun trivia. If you are interested in demonology, I would advise a different study, but if you insist, then try to get a healthy dosage of angels and virtues in your studies.
Peace!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics