Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 15, '12, 4:10 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Romney the Centrist Peeks Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg94086 View Post
You are voting for neither, right? So, what do you deserve?
My state has not yet been allowed to vote. I have not declared my intentions here as to who I will vote for in the general election, not have a I decided. The only one I said I would definitely not vote for was Gingrich.
Old Apr 16, '12, 12:53 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishii View Post
Seekerz, show me one piece of evidence that Romney aligns his positions on any issue with that of the Mormon church. If you can provide an example, then your post might be valid. If not, then you are probably barking up the wrong tree.

Ishii
Did he attend that church for at least two decades, get married there and sit in the pews most Sundays? I learned in 2008 that that is the standard for determining whether someone shares their church leaders' views on an issue...Was I misinformed?
If Christians had lived up to the Church's teaching about property and poverty there never would have been any occasion for the spurious communism of the Marixists and all the rest - whose communism starts out by denying other men the right to own property.

There is only one true doctrine about property rights, and that is taught by Catholic tradition. Those rights exist and cannot be denied, but they imply an obligation which, if it were put into practice without hypocrisy, self-deception and subterfuge, would mean that most Christians would be living with something like the communism of the first Apostles: "For neither was there any one needy among them..."
Thomas Merton in New Seeds of Contemplation
Old Apr 16, '12, 6:59 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerz View Post
Did he attend that church for at least two decades, get married there and sit in the pews most Sundays? I learned in 2008 that that is the standard for determining whether someone shares their church leaders' views on an issue...Was I misinformed?
Then explain the political differences between Orrin Hatch and Harry Reid - two senators who are both Mormon but on opposite sides of the political spectrum. Or explain the differences between Rick Santorum and Barbara Mikulski who are both catholic yet polar opposites politically. I think you're confused, Seekerz. The criticism of Obama was in attending a church in which the pastor would condemn America. He was rightly criticized for attending that church.

Ishii
Old Apr 17, '12, 3:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
Great year. I'll have to go with somebody whom I just don't trust must, having no other moral choice.
That choice for me is leaning more and more towards Joe Schriner, an independent who seems proud to be Catholic, and on most, if not all the issues. I know many would consider that a throw away vote, but both major parties might just keep throwing out the same type of guys year in and year out because we eat out of their hands.
Old Apr 17, '12, 8:17 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishii View Post
Then explain the political differences between Orrin Hatch and Harry Reid - two senators who are both Mormon but on opposite sides of the political spectrum. Or explain the differences between Rick Santorum and Barbara Mikulski who are both catholic yet polar opposites politically. I think you're confused, Seekerz. The criticism of Obama was in attending a church in which the pastor would condemn America. He was rightly criticized for attending that church.

Ishii
Oh, so criticizing America is the crime, not accepting abortion? Excuse me while I go look up who in politics associates with Pat Robertson.

P.S. Thanks for bringing up Hatch and Reid: that is exactly the spectrum along which Romney must fit, but I think I remember hearing that he is a devout Mormon. In that case he would be bound to respect the full range of their beliefs, no?
If Christians had lived up to the Church's teaching about property and poverty there never would have been any occasion for the spurious communism of the Marixists and all the rest - whose communism starts out by denying other men the right to own property.

There is only one true doctrine about property rights, and that is taught by Catholic tradition. Those rights exist and cannot be denied, but they imply an obligation which, if it were put into practice without hypocrisy, self-deception and subterfuge, would mean that most Christians would be living with something like the communism of the first Apostles: "For neither was there any one needy among them..."
Old Apr 17, '12, 5:24 pm

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
It is called "sustaining the prophet" or priesthood leadership depending on location. Once a mormons are asked to raise their hands to sustain him, there are no no's or abstentions.
The conference is viewed in local wards and all mormons sustain the prophet by show of hands.
Old Apr 17, '12, 5:42 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstx View Post
It is called "sustaining the prophet" or priesthood leadership depending on location. Once a mormons are asked to raise their hands to sustain him, there are no no's or abstentions.
The conference is viewed in local wards and all mormons sustain the prophet by show of hands.
Thanks for that tidbit.

Old Apr 17, '12, 6:24 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Oh, so criticizing America is the crime, not accepting abortion? Excuse me while I go look up who in politics associates with Pat Robertson.

P.S. Thanks for bringing up Hatch and Reid: that is exactly the spectrum along which Romney must fit, but I think I remember hearing that he is a devout Mormon. In that case he would be bound to respect the full range of their beliefs, no?
Well, regarding abortion, I expect Romney to nominate judges who will be constructionist in the mold of Alito and Scalia - and would overturn Roe V Wade, thus returning the issue to the states to outlaw abortion. That to me is a lot closer to Catholic moral teaching than Obama's solemn committment to protecting the right of a woman to kill her child. Big difference between Obama and Romney on this issue for that reason.

Ishii

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News