Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 11, '12, 6:58 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default What do Baptists believe?

Sunday afternoon a good friend came by with her daughter whom I had not seen for about 4 yrs. We were talking about our gardens when all of a sudden her daughter 40 yrs. old...........asked me "do Catholics worship statues?".

I hadn't been asked such a thing in years & I truly thought that idea had been put to rest. I really don't think my friend or her daughter are what you would call 'devout Baptists', but I can"t help but wonder if this false belief.......... that we pray to statues........is taught from the pulpit?

I've never posted on the non-Catholic forum before & I'm not being confrontational. I'm just wondering if this came from her great-Grandmother or if it's Baptist belief.
Old Apr 11, '12, 7:08 am

Religion: Catholic, leaning towards Traditional
Default Re: What do Baptists believe?

I have gone to a few Baptist churches, and from what I heard from the pulpit and from the pastors, YES, they teach and believe that we worship(or at least give Mary WAYYYY to much credit), Works Salvation is another thing they teach that we "believe"

Communion is re "rememberance", as in how we shoot off fireworks and have a picnic for the 4th of July, Jesus said to have communion as a way of remembering what He gave up for us(no lie, this is exactly what the pastor said at a friends church on their communion day) He did NOT mean that it was His actual Body and Blood

They see us praying before a statue and automatically assume we "worship" the thing

Which Baptist though?,,,Their are at least 4 major "flavors" of Baptist that I know of, each with differing doctrin and belief (or else there would be only one baptist..ya think?)

These are just some of the things that i remember from attending baptist churches with friends, but the list of misunderstandings and outright lies are many.
Old Apr 11, '12, 7:14 am

Religion: Catholic (revert)

Speaking as one who attended Baptist churches for 20 years.
Yes they teach Catholics worship statues, and Mary, and the Saints, and the Pope.....
Old Apr 11, '12, 7:40 am

Religion: Catholic

People still believe that we worship statues and saints? I don't know whether to laugh or cry about this! This is something that has been expressly debunked by the Church, no? Are there some Catholics who actually think that we do that?
Old Apr 11, '12, 7:53 am

Do the Baptists think about us more than we think about them? I've never heard a homily that even mentioned the Baptists, yet I've read (anecdotally) that Baptists are often preaching about & against Catholics.

Amazing how ignorance and anti-Catholicism run hand-in-hand with some of our brothers in Christ.
Prayer for the Unity of Christians
(Pro christianorum unitate oratio)

Almighty and eternal God,
you gather the scattered sheep
and watch over those you have gathered.
Look kindly on all who follow Jesus, your Son.
You have marked them with the seal of one baptism;
now make them one in the fullness of faith
and unite them in the bond of love.

We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

The Handbook of Indulgences, #44 (1991)
Moved with pity (splagchnizomai), he stretched out his hand and touched him, and said to him, "I will; be clean." (Mk 1:41)
Old Apr 11, '12, 8:04 am

Send a message via ICQ to bmullins Send a message via Yahoo to bmullins

As a recent convert of the Baptist faith I can say that not all baptists believe that we worship statues and saints, but many of them do. I have heard it preached from the pulpit in several churches. I've also been told by some of my baptist friends that I will go to hell because I converted to Catholicism.
Old Apr 11, '12, 8:18 am

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

My family are Baptist, and I would say havig grown up in that tradition that generally they think Catholics believe in salvation based on works, that sacraments and the real presence are not scriptural, and that Catholic theology has a lot of extra stuff in it not supported by the Binle that was added on over time such as purgatory, the communion of saints, etc. they generally believe in private interpretation and private confession to God, and the doctrines of Sola Scriptura and eternal security of salvation. Gentle showing of the scriptural basis for Catholic beliefs, and correction of misconceptions goes a long way to achieving understanding.

Behemoth is my serving man!
Before the conquered hosts of Pan
Riding tamed Leviathan,
Loud I sing for well I can
RESVRGAM and IO PAEAN,
IO, IO, IO PAEAN!!
Now I know the stake I played for,
Now I know what a worm's made for!

TIBER SWIM TEAM 2011
Old Apr 11, '12, 3:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splagchnizomai View Post
Do the Baptists think about us more than we think about them? I've never heard a homily that even mentioned the Baptists, yet I've read (anecdotally) that Baptists are often preaching about & against Catholics.
It's crazy isn't it. Spending time during their sermon spreading falsehoods about another faith. No, I've never heard a priest mention another religion from the pulpit......or anytime. How could anyone waste time putting another religion down when they have a Church full of people waiting to hear the Word?
Prayer for the Unity of Christians
(Pro christianorum unitate oratio)

Almighty and eternal God,
you gather the scattered sheep
and watch over those you have gathered.
Look kindly on all who follow Jesus, your Son.
You have marked them with the seal of one baptism;
now make them one in the fullness of faith
and unite them in the bond of love.

We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

The Handbook of Indulgences, #44 (1991)
[/quote]

AMEN!! And thanks to all of you who answered!
Old Apr 11, '12, 7:51 pm

Religion: Catholic Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksword View Post
My family are Baptist, and I would say havig grown up in that tradition that generally they think Catholics believe in salvation based on works, that sacraments and the real presence are not scriptural, and that Catholic theology has a lot of extra stuff in it not supported by the Binle that was added on over time such as purgatory, the communion of saints, etc. they generally believe in private interpretation and private confession to God, and the doctrines of Sola Scriptura and eternal security of salvation. Gentle showing of the scriptural basis for Catholic beliefs, and correction of misconceptions goes a long way to achieving understanding.
I've only been Catholic for 4 days. As an ex-Baptist I've been trying to think of something that Blacksword left out. Nope, he/she got it all right. I live in a very Baptist area. I've been very fortunate. My Baptist friends have asked me a lot of questions and I've been able to tell them what we have always thought to be true and what the church really teaches.
Old Apr 11, '12, 7:57 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeden View Post
People still believe that we worship statues and saints? I don't know whether to laugh or cry about this! This is something that has been expressly debunked by the Church, no? Are there some Catholics who actually think that we do that?
Why is this hard to understand?

If a non-Catholic visits a Catholic Church and watches someone kneel in front of a statue and pray, or kiss the statue's feet, what are they to think if they don't know Catholic theology?

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old Apr 11, '12, 9:35 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLight View Post

If a non-Catholic visits a Catholic Church and watches someone kneel in front of a statue and pray, or kiss the statue's feet, what are they to think if they don't know Catholic theology?
It's one thing to have a misconception. It's quite another to teach that misconception to others as truth.
"Conversion is like stepping across the chimney piece out of a Looking-Glass world, where everything is an absurd caricature, into the real world God made; and then begins the delicious process of exploring it limitlessly." --Evelyn Waugh, writer, Catholic convert (1930)
Old Apr 11, '12, 9:57 pm

Religion: Considering Anglican Church in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane of Arc View Post
Sunday afternoon a good friend came by with her daughter whom I had not seen for about 4 yrs. We were talking about our gardens when all of a sudden her daughter 40 yrs. old...........asked me "do Catholics worship statues?".

I hadn't been asked such a thing in years & I truly thought that idea had been put to rest. I really don't think my friend or her daughter are what you would call 'devout Baptists', but I can"t help but wonder if this false belief.......... that we pray to statues........is taught from the pulpit?

I've never posted on the non-Catholic forum before & I'm not being confrontational. I'm just wondering if this came from her great-Grandmother or if it's Baptist belief.
Jane of Arc,

Sadly, there are some Baptists who are very extreme and espouse anti-Catholic teachings---usually filled with misconceptions about the Catholic faith.

I came across an Independent Fundamentalist Baptist website that lists as "cults": Catholics, Greek Eastern Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, Episcopalians, Anglicans, Church of Christ, United Church of Christ, Lutherans, and others. It doesn't stop there. The site claims all these are "straight out of the pits of hell." And----claims that Satanism is in the Vatican.

Ironically, this group who claims Anglicans are "straight out of the pits of hell" uses the King James Bible only. So, Anglicans are from Hell, but these Baptists will only use the King James Bible authorized by the Church of England. Wouldn't that make our Bible from Hell also??? Anglicans don't even use the KJV only.

The amount of hatred and lies that exists on these websites is really unbelievable. It starts in the pulpits and spills into the Internet.

So, be careful.

Anna
Old Apr 11, '12, 10:00 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewstew03 View Post
It's one thing to have a misconception. It's quite another to teach that misconception to others as truth.
Right. But the point is, they don't see it as a misconception.

The reason I'm making a point out of this, is assuming this thread was started as a way to understand Baptists to better be able to evangelize to them, then we need to be clear on what and why they believe certain things.

If that is not the point of the thread, then never mind.

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old Apr 11, '12, 10:04 pm

Religion: Considering Anglican Church in North America

Quote:
Right. But the point is, they don't see it as a misconception.

The reason I'm making a point out of this, is assuming this thread was started as a way to understand Baptists to better be able to evangelize to them, then we need to be clear on what and why they believe certain things.

If that is not the point of the thread, then never mind.
New Catholic on Fire-----I'll tread lightly.

You are so right. They don't see it as a misconception and they are not open to correction.

Anna
Old Apr 12, '12, 3:29 am

Religion: Catholic (revert)

Quote:

Most Baptist churches have "altar calls" in which people are invited to "come forward" to "get saved" or "get right with God".
When they come forward they kneel while the preacher stands in the pulpit.
What are they kneeling to?
If I were from Alpha Centari would I assume they were kneeling before the preacher, worshiping the preacher?
Assumptions can be dangerous things if one doesn't ask questions.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions