Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #16  
Old Apr 23, '12, 6:28 pm
jeffspot jeffspot is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: April 10, 2012
Posts: 17
Religion: United
Default Re: Proof that homosexuality is a matter of conditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitex View Post
I didn't choose it or "learn" it. I didn't have a broken childhood or a dominant mother. It just happened.

Unless your actually a homosexual who goes through the day and life of being one; then I wouldn't expect you to understand how it happened or came about.

NARTH can make all the theories they want. Its not a choice. Trust me; do you really think I would choose this existence?
Here, here. I couldn't agree more.

Although I will say I'm now at the place where I would not be too eager to explore a 'cure' if such a thing even existed. The ability to see beauty where others don't isn't something I'd want traded.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old Apr 24, '12, 11:43 am
SonCatcher SonCatcher is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 30, 2010
Posts: 6,033
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Proof that homosexuality is a matter of conditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
Sad. Thought provoking ----- guesses? What's the point? You're on the internet. Do some real research. It would antagonize people a lot less.

Peace,
Ed
Me?
It may have been directed at the OP or one of the other posters.
__________________
-John
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Apr 24, '12, 1:55 pm
Charlemagne II Charlemagne II is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 16, 2008
Posts: 8,471
Religion: Catholic, formerly a practical atheist for about 25 years
Default Re: Proof that homosexuality is a matter of conditioning.

Try this!

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/tim...m_medium=email
__________________
"A personal conscience that is not consistent with authentic Catholic teaching is not a Catholic conscience." Cardinal Francis George
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old Apr 24, '12, 2:18 pm
johnnyjones's Avatar
johnnyjones johnnyjones is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 11, 2011
Posts: 2,520
Religion: Yes
Default Re: Proof that homosexuality is a matter of conditioning.

Very illuminating link posted above. Wallace's investigation amplifies long held beliefs.

What if an individual is born gay? How does that change anything? I suppose the argument would be, "I'm born that way, nothing I can do about it." But aren't people randomly born with all types of ailments. Just like a gay person would say, 'you don't know how it is until you've had to wrestle with it', I say the same thing about alcoholism, which I have had to treat.

Treatment is provided for all types of sicknesses. Homosexality was treated as a disorder into the late 60s. Why did it become no longer an abnormality?

My personal view is that a "no longer fight it" mentality creeped in. Some of it due to physicians who themselves had tendencies to be gay.. That influence permeated the medical community. An acceptance model was then embraced. Other factors include power and influence by afluent persons who were gay or knew gay people.
__________________
He stretched out the north over the empty space, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old Apr 24, '12, 2:29 pm
SonCatcher SonCatcher is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 30, 2010
Posts: 6,033
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Proof that homosexuality is a matter of conditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjones View Post
An acceptance model was then embraced.
Frankly, that is the better one, so long as it is properly done. They should embrace their cross just like everyone else. Homosexuals have both the issue of their own sexuality and celibacy to deal with. The community has the responsibility to support their struggles with those issues.
__________________
-John
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old Apr 24, '12, 2:44 pm
Dakota Roberts Dakota Roberts is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 20, 2010
Posts: 3,341
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Proof that homosexuality is a matter of conditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjones View Post
Very illuminating link posted above. Wallace's investigation amplifies long held beliefs.

What if an individual is born gay? How does that change anything? I suppose the argument would be, "I'm born that way, nothing I can do about it." But aren't people randomly born with all types of ailments. Just like a gay person would say, 'you don't know how it is until you've had to wrestle with it', I say the same thing about alcoholism, which I have had to treat.

Treatment is provided for all types of sicknesses. Homosexality was treated as a disorder into the late 60s. Why did it become no longer an abnormality?

My personal view is that a "no longer fight it" mentality creeped in. Some of it due to physicians who themselves had tendencies to be gay.. That influence permeated the medical community. An acceptance model was then embraced. Other factors include power and influence by afluent persons who were gay or knew gay people.
Sexual attraction to the same sex in itself doesn't show up on objective mental illness tests.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old Apr 24, '12, 2:55 pm
johnnyjones's Avatar
johnnyjones johnnyjones is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 11, 2011
Posts: 2,520
Religion: Yes
Default Re: Proof that homosexuality is a matter of conditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonCatcher View Post
Frankly, that is the better one, so long as it is properly done. They should embrace their cross just like everyone else. Homosexuals have both the issue of their own sexuality and celibacy to deal with. The community has the responsibility to support their struggles with those issues.
I think embracing their cross would involve treatment. There are recovered gay people who would support aother gay person who had a desire to change. As many know, that is the philosophy used to aid alcoholics or drug addicts, help your brother with the same struggle (AA).
__________________
He stretched out the north over the empty space, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old Apr 24, '12, 3:31 pm
Uzziah1 Uzziah1 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: April 12, 2012
Posts: 221
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Proof that homosexuality is a matter of conditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoeleth View Post
Darwinian natural selection means that traits which are not conducive to survival and perpetuation of genetic material lead to extinction. Clearly, IF homosexuality were a genetic proposenity, it would be radically contrary to genetic perpetuation. Therefore, the homosexual gene (IF it exists) would very soon have been bred out of the species.

This seems to prove that homosexuality is not a genetic propoensity. Egro, it is a matter of either conditioning, choice or both. Therefore, it can be cured.

Dr. Joseph Nicolosi claims to have essentially proven that male homosexuality is the pre-wired HETEROSEXUAL male formation process gone awry and then imprinted in that state.

In other words, so long as the same heterosexual formation process continues to successfully generate reproductive heterosexual males, the portion of the process which goes awry and generates homnosexuals will not be bred out of our species.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old Apr 24, '12, 6:41 pm
mitex mitex is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 26, 2012
Posts: 544
Religion: Protestant Church
Default Re: Proof that homosexuality is a matter of conditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzziah1 View Post
Dr. Joseph Nicolosi claims to have essentially proven that male homosexuality is the pre-wired HETEROSEXUAL male formation process gone awry and then imprinted in that state.

In other words, so long as the same heterosexual formation process continues to successfully generate reproductive heterosexual males, the portion of the process which goes awry and generates homnosexuals will not be bred out of our species.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitex View Post
I didn't choose it or "learn" it. I didn't have a broken childhood or a dominant mother. It just happened.

Unless your actually a homosexual who goes through the day and life of being one; then I wouldn't expect you to understand how it happened or came about.

NARTH can make all the theories they want. Its not a choice. Trust me; do you really think I would choose this existence?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old Apr 24, '12, 7:04 pm
Reepicheep Reepicheep is offline
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: November 23, 2004
Posts: 2,643
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Proof that homosexuality is a matter of conditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoeleth View Post
Darwinian natural selection means that traits which are not conducive to survival and perpetuation of genetic material lead to extinction. Clearly, IF homosexuality were a genetic proposenity, it would be radically contrary to genetic perpetuation. Therefore, the homosexual gene (IF it exists) would very soon have been bred out of the species.

This seems to prove that homosexuality is not a genetic propoensity. Egro, it is a matter of either conditioning, choice or both. Therefore, it can be cured.
Huntington's Chorea is a genetically transmitted disease that leads to death by advanced physical and mental senility, often by the age of about 30. Very counter-survival. Yet the disease continues to be passes on.
Multiple Sclerosis and Cystic Fibrosis and genetically transmitted, if I'm not mistaken. They also do bad thngs to the sufferer's chance to pass on their genes. Yet both conditions keep showing up.
I do not believe that there is such a thing as a "gay gene." Yet I fear the above argument does not disprove the notion that homosexuality is genetic.
__________________
Jesus Christ is Lord. Serviam. -- I love him so.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old Apr 25, '12, 10:29 pm
couponfit couponfit is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: December 11, 2011
Posts: 478
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Proof that homosexuality is a matter of conditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoeleth View Post
Darwinian natural selection means that traits which are not conducive to survival and perpetuation of genetic material lead to extinction. Clearly, IF homosexuality were a genetic proposenity, it would be radically contrary to genetic perpetuation. Therefore, the homosexual gene (IF it exists) would very soon have been bred out of the species.

This seems to prove that homosexuality is not a genetic propoensity. Egro, it is a matter of either conditioning, choice or both. Therefore, it can be cured.
So why is Fido gay? Why are there gay monkeys? Gay bears? Gay rats? I mean certainly the Gay gene should be gone in those species by now.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old Apr 26, '12, 8:45 pm
livingwordunity's Avatar
livingwordunity livingwordunity is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 22, 2012
Posts: 7,326
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Proof that homosexuality is a matter of conditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoeleth View Post
Darwinian natural selection means that traits which are not conducive to survival and perpetuation of genetic material lead to extinction. Clearly, IF homosexuality were a genetic proposenity, it would be radically contrary to genetic perpetuation. Therefore, the homosexual gene (IF it exists) would very soon have been bred out of the species.

This seems to prove that homosexuality is not a genetic propoensity. Egro, it is a matter of either conditioning, choice or both. Therefore, it can be cured.
But you are using logic.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old Apr 26, '12, 9:03 pm
Et Cetera Et Cetera is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 26, 2008
Posts: 1,467
Default Re: Proof that homosexuality is a matter of conditioning.

Qoeleth's intial post is ridiculous and offensive, not to mention lacking in logic. I literally am not wasting the time and energy to refute it. This stuff is pulled here all of the time. It's some type of baiting/trolling. Please everyone, just move on.
__________________
Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old Apr 27, '12, 7:26 am
Andre1000's Avatar
Andre1000 Andre1000 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: August 15, 2009
Posts: 409
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Proof that homosexuality is a matter of conditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoeleth View Post
Darwinian natural selection means that traits which are not conducive to survival and perpetuation of genetic material lead to extinction. Clearly, IF homosexuality were a genetic proposenity, it would be radically contrary to genetic perpetuation. Therefore, the homosexual gene (IF it exists) would very soon have been bred out of the species.

This seems to prove that homosexuality is not a genetic propoensity. Egro, it is a matter of either conditioning, choice or both. Therefore, it can be cured.
This is not sound because "Darwinian natural selection" is untrue
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old Apr 27, '12, 10:52 am
OraLabora OraLabora is online now
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 28, 2007
Posts: 5,813
Religion: Roman Catholic, Benedictine Oblate
Default Re: Proof that homosexuality is a matter of conditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoeleth View Post
Darwinian natural selection means that traits which are not conducive to survival and perpetuation of genetic material lead to extinction. Clearly, IF homosexuality were a genetic proposenity, it would be radically contrary to genetic perpetuation. Therefore, the homosexual gene (IF it exists) would very soon have been bred out of the species.

This seems to prove that homosexuality is not a genetic propoensity. Egro, it is a matter of either conditioning, choice or both. Therefore, it can be cured.
Proof that you're wrong: there are plenty of (incurable) genetic anomalies, diseases and conditions that aren't conducive to survival.

Yet they happen anyway.

Sorry, the argument has been tried and found wanting after even the most superficial analysis.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8569Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Kellyreneeomara
5241CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4436Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3895Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: DesertSister62
3876SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3463Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3318Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3237Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3171For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: eschator83



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 7:21 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.