Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 13, '12, 4:30 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Hurt, Anger and receiving the Eucharist

Without going into all the details that are not relevant I was wondering if anybody could give some insight to this.

Are you in a state of sin if you have been hurt by somebody's response to your own expression of feelings over something, and then at times those hurt feelings mingle with the emotion of anger?

I'm trying, and praying to be able to put this all behind me, and let the anger go, but it's hard to control at times.

So I just want to know if this is considered sin? Am I unworthy of receiving unless I confess and if I do confess and then the emotion reemerges do I just need to keep confessing?
Old Apr 13, '12, 4:51 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic Church, Latin Rite
Default Re: Hurt, Anger and receiving the Eucharist

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart4home View Post
Without going into all the details that are not relevant I was wondering if anybody could give some insight to this.

Are you in a state of sin if you have been hurt by somebody's response to your own expression of feelings over something, and then at times those hurt feelings mingle with the emotion of anger?

I'm trying, and praying to be able to put this all behind me, and let the anger go, but it's hard to control at times.

So I just want to know if this is considered sin? Am I unworthy of receiving unless I confess and if I do confess and then the emotion reemerges do I just need to keep confessing?

Before going to comunion say th act of contrition and go to communion.
Confess when you can...
Old Apr 13, '12, 6:00 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic

You cannot receive the Eucharist while in a state of mortal sin, I beleive your question is whether or not you are committing a mortal sin is that right? Why is it that you think being angry is a mortal sin? Are you deliberately fueling your anger or are you planning on revenge or violence or are you simply hurt and frustrated by someone else's actions? I wish you peace and will pray for your discernment. God bless.
Old Apr 13, '12, 7:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monicad View Post
Are you deliberately fueling your anger or are you planning on revenge or violence or are you simply hurt and frustrated by someone else's actions? I wish you peace and will pray for your discernment. God bless.
Of course not to revenge or violence. I'm just hurt and frustrated over the whole situation.

But thanks for clarifying. I guess I was just thinking more about when we are told not to leave our gifts at the altar when we have an issue with a brother or sister. I can't control how this person reacts to my feelings, yet their lack of empathy upsets me. Perhaps anger isn't the right word although one of the meanings of anger is....

"A strong feeling of displeasure or hostility."

While I'm not hostile at all, I again am somewhat displeased by this persons seeming lack of care over my feelings and yet at the same time I know that is their prerogative to feel that way.

So it just left me feeling confused as to what exact kind of sin this is considered.
Old Apr 13, '12, 7:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfaffenhoffen View Post
Before going to comunion say th act of contrition and go to communion.
Confess when you can...
Thank you. This is good advice that I will definitely be using:-)
Old Apr 13, '12, 7:49 am

Religion: Catholic

going to confession and or talking with your priest would give you some answers.

Forgiveness allows us to resolve anger and restore hope
What is forgiveness?
“People, upon rationally determining that they have been unfairly treated, Forgive when they willfully abandon resentment and related responses (to which they have a right), and endeavor to respond to the wrongdoer based on the moral principle of beneficence, which may include compassion, unconditional worth, generosity, and moral love (to which the wrongdoer, by nature of the hurtful act or acts, has not right).” In other words love your enemies doesn’t mean you have to trust them or endure there pain again it can just be because of generosity etc.
its easier to forgive when the offender’s action were either a misunderstanding or immaturity.
This quote is from Richard Fitzgibbons book. He is a Catholic psychologist and has been on EwTN. if you want to learn more about it look up some of his shows and articles. He calls it forgiveness therapy. He is a doctor and his stuff is for counseling so if your issue isn’t that bad, maybe talking to your priest may be good enough.
Old Apr 14, '12, 8:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart4home View Post
Of course not to revenge or violence. I'm just hurt and frustrated over the whole situation.

But thanks for clarifying. I guess I was just thinking more about when we are told not to leave our gifts at the altar when we have an issue with a brother or sister. I can't control how this person reacts to my feelings, yet their lack of empathy upsets me. Perhaps anger isn't the right word although one of the meanings of anger is....

"A strong feeling of displeasure or hostility."

While I'm not hostile at all, I again am somewhat displeased by this persons seeming lack of care over my feelings and yet at the same time I know that is their prerogative to feel that way.

So it just left me feeling confused as to what exact kind of sin this is considered.
Whatever emotions you have, when you go up to receive the Lord, leave them in the pew, at least. Would be better, of course, not to bring them with you to His house, but...we're human. Take a prayer book with you and pray for forgiveness of that person before Communion. Ask Jesus for complete healing of your heart. After you receive, ask Jesus to fill all the empty and bitter places inside you and give you His love for everyone.

Take your emotions to Jesus, he will listen every single time.
Old Apr 14, '12, 2:52 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, latin rite

Feeling hurt and frustrated, even angry, is not a sin. We are human and react to how others treat us. However, we must not hold on to the anger, but do all we can to let go, and to forgive the wrongdoer. I suggest you bring it up in confession if you are struggling with forgivness. But don't deny yourself the Eucharist. It has healing powers and it can help you with your situation.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life