Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 13, '12, 6:20 pm

Religion: Catholic
Question The Royal Family

I was just wondering, is the royal family allowed to be Catholic, or are they barred for praticing Catholicism?
Old Apr 13, '12, 6:39 pm

Default Re: The Royal Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by BListon View Post
I was just wondering, is the royal family allowed to be Catholic, or are they barred for praticing Catholicism?
They are allowed to be Catholic, but they lose their place in the succession to the Crown if they are.

Old Apr 13, '12, 7:05 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Although as I understand it, this is something that may be changed in the near future.

And a darn good thing it would be.

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Apr 13, '12, 7:25 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantum ergo View Post
Although as I understand it, this is something that may be changed in the near future.

The Queen or King is the head of the Church of England so by definition cannot be Catholic.
The only way that can be changed is if the monarch is no longer the head of the Church of England.
Old Apr 13, '12, 7:42 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BListon View Post
Hi,
If you mean the British royal family, I concur with the others here that the British Monarch is head of the Church of England, so at this time, unless the law is changed, there would have to be a choice made between remaining the Queen (or her next heir to the throne) and converting to Catholicism.

I am interested to see how the discussions between the See of Canterbury and our Holy Father in Rome might affect this question. Many Anglican leaders in Great Britain have for some time been in discussion with the Vatican regarding the Anglican Ordinariate, etc. I pray every day for a full Communion, under the leadership of The Holy See. A few U.S. Episcopalian parishes have already swum the Tiber. Welcome Back, is my feeling!
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/be...etibus_en.html
Blessings,
Kathryn Ann
Old Apr 13, '12, 8:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
The Queen or King is the head of the Church of England so by definition cannot be Catholic.
The only way that can be changed is if the monarch is no longer the head of the Church of England.
James II was a Catholic and still acted as the head of the Church of England. It would actually be possible; the monarch has nothing to do with doctrine and little to do with administrative functions.

Of course, James II was also chased out of England, so what does that say?
Old Apr 14, '12, 12:23 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

There are actually some members of the Royal family that became catholic. But they had to give up their place in the succsession line.

On that day God and Mother Church welcomed back their prodigal daughter.
Old Apr 14, '12, 1:52 am
Forum Elder

Just a few months ago the British Prime Minister stated that the law will be changed to allow British monarchs to marry a Catholic but the law prohibiting Catholics from being monarch will remain unchanged.
Old Apr 14, '12, 6:37 am
Suspended

Religion: Latin rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantum ergo View Post

Overturning the law on the Monarch been anything besides Anglican would have a lot of knock on effects that are not always evident at first. Whereas allowing him to marry a Catholic for example would not cause so many issues. Although from the Catholic spouse's point of view it would be troublesome as they would have to agree that children might not be brought up as Catholics which would place them in an invidious position.

When Prince Philip married Elizabeth there were questions raised about him needing to convert at all as he was originally Greek Orthodox and thus from outside a frame of reference relevant to the whole history of the issues in the UK.. For prudence's sake and on advice he did but it's worth noting that through him Prince Charles and his children are directly related to an Orthodox saint and Prince Philip's mother herself was a very devout member of the Orthodox Church and a private chapel was present in several of the royal establishments for her use. The British Royal Family are much less monolithic than they look at first sight with regards to religion as I've pointed out before.

Indeed one of the outstanding champions fighting abortion is a member of the British Royal Family who was appointed by a Cardinal to head up Dignitatis Humanae

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Nicholas_Windsor

Rather hilarious that I'm posting this over a signature quoting a man killed by a British firing squad during the 1916 'rebellion' in Ireland. But I think judging from his quote he'd understand the point I'm making.
Old Apr 14, '12, 9:14 am

Religion: Fellowship contemplative prayer UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Ann View Post
Hi,
If you mean the British royal family, I concur with the others here that the British Monarch is head of the Church of England, so at this time, unless the law is changed, there would have to be a choice made between remaining the Queen (or her next heir to the throne) and converting to Catholicism.

I am interested to see how the discussions between the See of Canterbury and our Holy Father in Rome might affect this question. Many Anglican leaders in Great Britain have for some time been in discussion with the Vatican regarding the Anglican Ordinariate, etc. I pray every day for a full Communion, under the leadership of The Holy See. A few U.S. Episcopalian parishes have already swum the Tiber. Welcome Back, is my feeling!
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/be...etibus_en.html
Blessings,
Kathryn Ann
I was hoping to be ahead here and naughtily ask which Royal Family. Since we in the UK are not the only ones to have a Royal Family.

Not something I worry about personally especially as I am going to be naughty again and say Anglicans are catholic!

they can do as they please in my book so long as whatever they do they believe in it and the rest of us get to 'keep' the Church of England.
Old Apr 14, '12, 10:30 am
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishredrose View Post
I was hoping to be ahead here and naughtily ask which Royal Family. Since we in the UK are not the only ones to have a Royal Family.

Not something I worry about personally especially as I am going to be naughty again and say Anglicans are catholic!

they can do as they please in my book so long as whatever they do they believe in it and the rest of us get to 'keep' the Church of England.
Anglicans as fellow Christians are seperated brethren of ours, but since they have rejected authority of the Church they are by definition not Catholic. In addition although after the break they initially had valid sacraments and holy orders unlike the apostolic Churches such as the Orthodox and Assyrian who have preserved these they no longer posses validity in either of these spheres.

That of course is a conversation for anothe time, but utlimately as Catholics we will have to disagree with your assessment regarding the Church of England as we would otherwise lack integrity when asked how the Church views it.

However leaving that aside as it is a Church with a particular role in the UK changing certain aspects such as the monarch been allowed to be non-Anglican do have awkward knock on effects. Although it really depends on which part of the UK you are talking about, it would be easier to make the change in Scottish than English law from what I understand to take an example.
Old Apr 14, '12, 2:21 pm

Religion: Catholic by way of Luther and the Cof E

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
And that WOULD be a good thing. When I finally woke up ,it was the soap opera of the marital break down between Princess Diana and Prince Charles and the fact that he could one day become King , thus Head of the Church of England, that got me off the fence and headed on the journey to the true Catholic Church.
The real question is would the country support him becoming King after all the drama and the fact that he is now married to someone who claims to be Catholic? OR will he forever be the King that never was and will he have to abdicate to his son....if he ever gets the chance because HR Queen Elizabeth II is from a line of very strong female line.......it is that tough German stock you know !
Old Apr 14, '12, 2:39 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishredrose View Post

I confess.... I was planning to do the same.

Actually, we've had discussions about this over in the news forums when the Catholic ruler of the country threatened to use his veto power regarding a law which was contrary to Catholic doctrine. In the case of Luxembourg, the parliament revised the constitution to strip Grand Duke Henri of his role in approving legislature so that an euthanasia law could be enacted.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008...bourg-monarchy

In the case of Liechtenstein, Prince Alois threatened to use his veto on a proposed law which have legalized abortion during the first trimester. However, the voters rejected the referendum so as far as I know Prince Alois still has his veto authority,
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44567918...lize-abortion/

Other countries with Catholic royalty are Spain (king Juan Carlos and queen Sofia of Bourbon), Belgium (queen Paola and king Albert II) and Monaco (Prince Albert and Princess Charlene)
http://www.romereports.com/palio/the...lish-5014.html
Old Apr 14, '12, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryann C View Post
And that WOULD be a good thing. When I finally woke up ,it was the soap opera of the marital break down between Princess Diana and Prince Charles and the fact that he could one day become King , thus Head of the Church of England, that got me off the fence and headed on the journey to the true Catholic Church.
The real question is would the country support him becoming King after all the drama and the fact that he is now married to someone who claims to be Catholic? OR will he forever be the King that never was and will he have to abdicate to his son....if he ever gets the chance because HR Queen Elizabeth II is from a line of very strong female line.......it is that tough German stock you know !
Prince Charle's wife the Duchess of Cornwall is Anglican. She may class herself as catholic as that is common for some High Anglicans but she is a member of the Church of England and not a Church in communion with Rome.
Old Apr 14, '12, 3:44 pm

Religion: Orthodox contemplating communion with Rome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_M View Post
Other countries with Catholic royalty are Spain (king Juan Carlos and queen Sofia of Bourbon)
A minor point: HM King Juan Carlos is the Bourbon (or Borbón). HM Queen Sofia is "of Greece" (sister of HM King Constantine II of Greece) and had to convert from the Greek Orthodox Church to marry the then Prince Juan Carlos.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence