Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Benedictine Spirituality

Benedictine Spirituality Click here to visit this social group

Old Apr 14, '12, 3:46 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default the American-Cassinese Congregation

http://www.osb.org/amcass/

I'm not quite sure I understand the point of this. All Monasteries fall under The Benedictine Confederation right? And there seem to be monasteries in America which are under the Benedictine Confederation but which are not in the American-Cassinese Congregation. This implies that there are monasteries which are under the Confederation but who are affiliated differently at the local level.

Can someone give me a breakdown of the organization? I know that the Benedictines are not centrally structured like other orders such as the Dominicans, but I know there is still a structure of some kind in place.

Thanks in advance!

Jason
Old Apr 14, '12, 8:56 pm
Banned

Default Re: the American-Cassinese Congregation

OK. I have done some digging and I get the general idea of having loosely organized national Congregations. What I am still confused about is why so many national Congregations have monasteries from other countries listed. And, how two monasteries within a couple of hours of each other belong to different Congregations, one in the American-Cassinese and the other in the Solesmes.

Thoughts?

Peace,
Old Apr 20, '12, 9:54 am

Religion: Roman Catholic (Oblate of St Benedict-MotRC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
OK. I have done some digging and I get the general idea of having loosely organized national Congregations. What I am still confused about is why so many national Congregations have monasteries from other countries listed. And, how two monasteries within a couple of hours of each other belong to different Congregations, one in the American-Cassinese and the other in the Solesmes.

Thoughts?

Peace,
It depends on which family started the monastery. My monks are olivetani (Olivetan Benedictines). All Benedictines are under the Confederation (the Olivetans joined in the 1960's, IIRC).

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old May 6, '12, 11:01 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:

Thoughts?

Peace,
It often relates to the historical heritage of the community. For example, my community is part of the Solesmes Congregation. The abbey was founded by the nuns from the original St. Cecilia's Abbey in Solesmes and when they were exiled from France they started another St. Cecilia's Abbey in England. So although my community is in England it belongs to the French congregation of Solesmes because of its heritage.

My blog
Old May 6, '12, 11:04 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectTiming View Post
It often relates to the historical heritage of the community. For example, my community is part of the Solesmes Congregation. The abbey was founded by the nuns from the original St. Cecilia's Abbey in Solesmes and when they were exiled from France they started another St. Cecilia's Abbey in England. So although my community is in England it belongs to the French congregation of Solesmes because of its heritage.
Thanks.

There is a Solesmes Abbey about 5 hours away and I have spoken to them via e-mail briefly. Does your community celebrate the EF of the Mass and focus on the True Devotion to Christ through Mary, and the Little Flower as well?

Peace,

Jason
Old May 6, '12, 2:19 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Thanks.

There is a Solesmes Abbey about 5 hours away and I have spoken to them via e-mail briefly. Does your community celebrate the EF of the Mass and focus on the True Devotion to Christ through Mary, and the Little Flower as well?

Peace,

Jason
St. Cecilia's has Mass in the OF in Latin. It's truly beautiful and one of the reasons I love the community. I know some Solesmes communities have the EF but St. Cecilia's isn't one of them. I don't know about the True Devotion, I'm still at early stages with them so I don't know their practices that well yet.

I'm guessing you are talking of Clear Creek Abbey? I believe Clear Creek is exclusively EF if I remember correctly.

My blog
Old May 6, '12, 2:23 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectTiming View Post
I'm guessing you are talking of Clear Creek Abbey? I believe Clear Creek is exclusively EF if I remember correctly.
That is correct.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Benedictine Spirituality