Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 20, '12, 10:36 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Toddler has panic attacks in Mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Gail 36 View Post
Lately he's a bit more antsy. On palm Sunday, during the Passion reading when we are supposed to kneel, he bacame all upset, crying and saying, "Get up Everybody" On Easter when the bells rang at consecration, he sang, "The Church the Church is ringing" to the tune of the "Wonderpets"
That's so adorable!!
Old Apr 22, '12, 6:44 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies. (Mary Gail's description seemed similar to my son's behavior).

So today went better, we went to an earlier Mass at a different church. Daddy was with us today (last weekend he was home with little brother, who was cranky and needed a nap), and he held ds at the end of Mass, so ds could see the priest. He was good until the final hymn ended, and then started to whine as we got the kids coats on, but it wasn't nearly the all out crying, shaking, running away behavior. I watched but there didn't seem to be a specific trigger besides the end of Mass. As soon as the final song ended, then he started to whine. (In fact at this church, they sing a lot so Father was gone for quite some time before the song was done).

As far as his verbal skills, I am not too worried, he is picking things quite fast now, but it is pretty common for boys to be a little delayed in that area. His vocabulary is good, he has known all his letters since he was 18 months, and now knows the sounds most of the consonants make. He is just naturally a pretty quiet child, so doesn't/didn't get a lot of practice forming sentences, and really only get confused when we talk to him when we use tricky concepts like "either/or," "first/then," and sometimes "this and that."

Jonathan Danial 4/21/09
William Thomas 12/13/10
Claire Marie 6/27/12
Old Apr 22, '12, 6:48 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly4ski View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. (Mary Gail's description seemed similar to my son's behavior).

So today went better, we went to an earlier Mass at a different church. Daddy was with us today (last weekend he was home with little brother, who was cranky and needed a nap), and he held ds at the end of Mass, so ds could see the priest. He was good until the final hymn ended, and then started to whine as we got the kids coats on, but it wasn't nearly the all out crying, shaking, running away behavior. I watched but there didn't seem to be a specific trigger besides the end of Mass. As soon as the final song ended, then he started to whine. (In fact at this church, they sing a lot so Father was gone for quite some time before the song was done).

As far as his verbal skills, I am not too worried, he is picking things quite fast now, but it is pretty common for boys to be a little delayed in that area. His vocabulary is good, he has known all his letters since he was 18 months, and now knows the sounds most of the consonants make. He is just naturally a pretty quiet child, so doesn't/didn't get a lot of practice forming sentences, and really only get confused when we talk to him when we use tricky concepts like "either/or," "first/then," and sometimes "this and that."
Hi Jilly4ski,
I'm glad things went better!
I didn't think of this before, but how is his hearing? Is it possible that sounds (whether loud and then fading off) or the sudden change in the atmosphere, upsets his equilibrium? Just a thought. I wish you all the best!
Kathryn Ann
Old Jun 21, '12, 6:23 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Raised catholic

This is when I started having panic attacks in mass, before I could recieve the Eucharist but after I was old enough to understand the consecration. It only got worse as I got older and now I cannot attend mass at all. My father actually kicked me out of the house because I can't attend mass. The problem is that later it led to more panic attacks in other situations because the issue was never addressed properly. For a while I ignored it. Then I sought psychiatric help which failed. Help from a priest didn't do much either. Really the best thing is a therapist who is familiar with Catholicism and can understand his faith.
The truth is you described me as a child at that time perfectly.
Old Jun 21, '12, 7:22 am

Update.

Well things have generally gotten better. Corpus Christi was probably the worst in a while, because instead of just ending the Mass, they went into a procession (which is cool, but not for a 9 month pregnant lady on a 90 degree day ). So first I had to point out the procession, and he stopped crying and watched the procession through the church, but as soon as it left he started freaking out again.

But last week we stayed for donuts (it was Fathers last Sunday with us), so I am hoping this might cure the needing to leave right after the recessional hymn. The crying has otherwise been limited to the time after the recessional hymn when everyone kneels down to pray.

(Funny story, as we were walking to get the donuts we passed up the receiving line for Father. But DS abruptly came to a stop and started inching over towards Father, until he was directly behind him. Then started inching around until he got in the way of the people trying to talk to Father. He just had to shake Father's hand. It was pretty cute.

Jonathan Danial 4/21/09
William Thomas 12/13/10
Claire Marie 6/27/12
Old Jun 21, '12, 10:50 am

Quote:
(The only thing I can remotely think of, is his little brother had to spend many Sunday's out in the vestibule because, he unlike his brother is very noisy in church, so some weekends he and Daddy would have to wait in the pew until I could make it back to the pew through the people trying to leave).
I have a sensitive three year old and this would bother her. I wonder if he is afraid of seeing the crowd, and you not being there when everyone is leaving. Maybe he wants to get out before that happens? Is he verbal enough to explain to you what is bothering him if you ask him?
Old Jun 21, '12, 1:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaececi View Post
I have a sensitive three year old and this would bother her. I wonder if he is afraid of seeing the crowd, and you not being there when everyone is leaving. Maybe he wants to get out before that happens? Is he verbal enough to explain to you what is bothering him if you ask him?
Unfortunately no, (it is getting a lot better) but being a naturally quiet child has made him less verbal overall. It is getting better, and I am really hoping the donuts after Mass last Sunday will cure it once and for all, (the kids loves donuts, despite not being a big sugar eater ).

Jonathan Danial 4/21/09
William Thomas 12/13/10
Claire Marie 6/27/12
Old Jun 21, '12, 8:14 pm

Quote:
Unfortunately no, (it is getting a lot better) but being a naturally quiet child has made him less verbal overall. It is getting better, and I am really hoping the donuts after Mass last Sunday will cure it once and for all, (the kids loves donuts, despite not being a big sugar eater ).
Sorry, I reread the thread and saw you had already answered this one. The other day my daughter freaked out when we went in a public restroom and after asking to go to the bathroom, she said she no longer had to go. I couldn't figure it out, but then saw the excelerator hand dryer on the wall and remembered she once heard one and was afraid of it. She calmed down after I explained that she didn't have to use it and it wouldn't make any noise.

It's so tough when we can't figure it out! My pediatrician told me that this is completely normal, especially at this age when kids feel they can't control things or don't understand how they work. I hope the donuts did the trick!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting