Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 17, '12, 5:48 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to SeanF1989
Default When did Catholics begin having Mary Statues in their homes

Also when did Catholics begin using holy water/home stoups?

I tried wikipedia and I found this -"Most of theses stoups were destroyed or disappeared during the French Revolution in 1789 and in following years.

In the nineteenth century, most of the these stoups were made in ceramics. Some were unique in bearing the name of their owner. They were given as gifts on special occasions, such as births, first Communions and weddings.

These stoups were often handed down the generations, but their use decreased in France after 1900. Today, they are collected by art-lovers"

Does this mean French Catholics don't use holy water in their homes anymore?
Old Apr 17, '12, 6:53 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default Re: When did Catholics begin having Mary Statues in their homes

I really don't know what the answer is to your question but I would like to say that I'd love to have a Mary statue in my home but I can't afford one of the large ones. Would a smaller one like maybe 4 inches tall be okay?

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Apr 17, '12, 7:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
I really don't know what the answer is to your question but I would like to say that I'd love to have a Mary statue in my home but I can't afford one of the large ones. Would a smaller one like maybe 4 inches tall be okay?
I have a small plastic one (around 14-17 inches tall) statue of the holy family on my bedside table that a relative gave to me when I was a child. I would like a Mary Statue but yet I don't think I would have the money.
Old Apr 21, '12, 12:54 pm

Bump.
Old Jul 9, '12, 4:07 pm

Bump.
Old Jul 10, '12, 5:50 pm

I have a gorgeous statue of Mary standing in the grato at Fatima. A child is kneeling before her and there is the original candle on the other side in a glass jar. This belonged to my Mom and whenever anyone died she always lit the candle and when she died I took her home with me. This was my Mom's favorite.

She also had a very small statue of Mary with a planter on the other side. I didn't know that my Mom had been praying for something special and I planted a seed in the planter. A flower bloomed and she called everyone about the miracle. I can't remember if I ever fessed up or not but she was very excited about that.
Old Jul 11, '12, 6:04 pm

Religion: Practicing Catholic

Had a small one, like a half statue, growing up in the 50s, and have an almost identical one now.
Old Jul 12, '12, 3:43 am

Idols have been produced for thousands of years. The technology to produce a statue of Mary is hidden in antiquity.

There is certainly no requirement to have a statue of Mary in the home or in a church.

I particularly loathe the traveling statue of Our Lady of Lourdes. It depicts Mary as a crying teen. " Mary" has what would otherwise be considered plucked eyebrows. She is depicted as a white person, instead of the Palestinian that she was. She is depicted wearing clothes she probably never wore.

Some depictions of Mary are with a rosary. I'm certain Mary never said the rosary -- a prayer to herself.
Old Jul 12, '12, 8:26 am
Banned

Religion: Considering Catholicism and Orthodoxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpy View Post
Idols have been produced for thousands of years.
But statues of Mary aren't idols
Old Jul 12, '12, 8:44 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Idols have been produced for thousands of years. The technology to produce a statue of Mary is hidden in antiquity.

There is certainly no requirement to have a statue of Mary in the home or in a church.

I particularly loathe the traveling statue of Our Lady of Lourdes. It depicts Mary as a crying teen. " Mary" has what would otherwise be considered plucked eyebrows. She is depicted as a white person, instead of the Palestinian that she was. She is depicted wearing clothes she probably never wore.

Some depictions of Mary are with a rosary. I'm certain Mary never said the rosary -- a prayer to herself.
The images are sacramentals, designed to help us visualize, meditate upon, and contemplate invisible spiritual realities.

Mary probably never actually wore a crown while she was alive, yet artists sometimes depict Our Lady with a crown because the artist wants us to think about the reality of her role as Queen of Heaven and Earth. The artist is not trying to make a statement about how Mary really looked.

Artists have always depected famous people in terms that their audience could easily undersand, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with such artwork, if it helps those who view it to better understand and appreciate realities which we cannot now see with our eyes, and if it helps us draw closer to God and his Holy Church.

-Tim-
Old Jul 12, '12, 8:55 pm

For those looking for an affordable statue of Mary, if you're talking about the larger outdoor ones, try your local big chain hardware store (around here it's Lowe's or Home Depot). In the garden department they have yard statuary made from resin instead of cement or plaster. It's lightweight and much cheaper.

I've been wanting a St. Francis statue for my garden for a long time, but could never have spent the money on one until I stumbled across him at Lowe's. And as I was wrestling him from the basket into my trunk in the parking lot, a woman approached me and struck up a conversation about St. Francis. It turned out she was a lapsed Catholic. We talked for about an hour and she said she was considering coming back to the Church.

If you're talking about smaller statues, like for a table, check out eBay. I've bought about a dozen there , usually for no more than $5 - $10.
Old Jul 12, '12, 9:05 pm
Banned

Religion: Olde fashioned Christian
Smile Re: When did Catholics begin having Mary Statues in their homes

Quote:
When did Catholics begin having Mary Statues in their homes?

A good question, does anyone know?
Old Jul 12, '12, 9:14 pm
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
A good question, does anyone know?
It probably started with the nobility who can actually afford to have statues made. Then as people gained more wealth and the cost of having a statue went down, more and more "private citizens" had them at home. When exactly, I wouldn't know. There are Spanish-era homes in the Philippines that are essentially museums today, and they have prayer rooms with a ton of statues (like over 20 of varying sizes). And this would have been in the 1800s, perhaps even 1700s. Since this practice same from the Spanish, it would have been done there much earlier. Again started with the nobility.
Old Jul 12, '12, 10:52 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

I don't really understand why you would loathe a statue of the Blessed Virgin. St. Bernadette was consulted extensively about what the apparitions that she had seen looked like by many different people. Her descriptions were constant and extremely clear. Yet when the initial statue was finished Bernadette made no concessions at all. She clearly said that it did not look at all like the Virgin. In her own words "No it is not her" Not in any way except for the color of the clothing. It is interesting though that the apparition that Bernadette saw seemed to her to be that of a very young and very small girl, probably still in her teens.

As far as the Rosary that was held, Bernadette said the Virgin was holding one, but did not move her lips as Bernadette prayed hers, but merely moved the beads through her fingers. She did however, apparently bow her head at the names of Jesus, the Holy Ghost and the Father. Her failure to mouth the prayers was one of the reasons she, Bernadette was initially suspicious and afraid of the apparition as she could not understand why the prayers were omitted

Of course Bernadette did not even know who the apparition was until the 16th vision when the Virgin identified herself as the Immaculate Conception, a term that Bernadette had apparently never heard and which had only recently been declared by the Pope. Prior to that Bernadette had merely referred to the apparition as "Aquero" which in her dialect meant roughly" That Thing".

I don't think religious statues of this type, are made to be literal representations of what a person looked like. In fact in the case of Our Lady of Lourdes, the artist failed miserably to capture in any way how she looked even though he tried his best to accurately represent what Bernadette told him. No, I think they are meant to be aids in helping us to focus on a certain devotion, or thought or prayer.
Old Jul 14, '12, 11:01 am

Religion: Practicing Catholic

Quote:

I never thought of my little statue as an idol, it just always reminded me of Mary. But I've seen people parade statues around and treat them as if they were idols. p.s. I particularly dislike a picture of Jesus I've seen that looks like he has eye makeup.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism