Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 21, '12, 9:01 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Byzantine Catholic
Default Re: Ewtn and Eastern Catholicism..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki View Post
I have read the document. It talks about efforts of the Church.
Not quite ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki View Post
IThere is an attitude on CAF that somethow the Eastern Catholics are like an underreprented minority ...
Perhaps that is true to some extent, and that may be a perception to which you are responding, but (i) I did not suggest that (in fact, I was quite complementary of EWTN in general and in its coverage of Eastern Catholic topics) and (ii) the fact remains that the Latin Church is largely unknowledgeable of the breadth of the Universal Church, which was faithfully addressed by + Blessed Pope John Paul II in Orientale Lumen.

With due respect Corki, I probably would not have posted here at all, except for the fact that some earlier posts here did seem to support a perpetuation of a condition and mode of thought that Eastern Catholics do (and should) find offensive. That is, the Roman Catholic Church is just that and should take no interest whatsoever in anything that is not Roman Catholic.

EWTN is and should be faithful to the mission of its Church, and in that regard, it should be interested in promoting the depth and beauty that is evident in the entirety of the Universal Church, not just the Roman Catholic majority (by numbers, but not by degree of dignity).

Again, for the record and FWIW, I personally do think EWTN does an admirable job in this area across the board, and mentioned in my earlier posts. The programming, when aired, is quality programming. There is abudant usage of Eastern Christian iconography and other symbolic images even in the general programming that does not go unnoticed. However, the Eastern Catholic programs are often aired at odd hours and at irregular intervals, which is very noticable to those who follow it and seek them.

In addition, the resources on their website are thoughtful in scope and content, and one can find a good selection of Eastern Catholic items in their religious catalog as well.

It certainly cannot be argued that EWTN acts as if Eastern Catholicism doesn't exist. Some earlier comments in this thread, however, made it sound as if they should. That attitude will likely be perceived as offensive to many who post here, Eastern Christians (including the Orthodox who fear it when discussing the prospect of reunion) and Traditional Catholics alike.
Old Apr 26, '12, 1:08 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Roman View Post
I respectfully disagree - to bring Catholicism into our homes also means to bring the variety of liturgical and canonical expressions of Catholicism into our homes and to make Latin Catholics aware of them since so many are so woefully ignorant of them. Otherwise, we make what is Rome's historical error in equating Latin theology with "Catholicism" which surely has a universal quality.

I think EWTN's mission would be greatly enhanced if they had more emphasis on things like icons, the Jesus Prayer, Eastern Saints and the mystical Divine Liturgies - don't you?

Alex
4/26/2012
Alexander Roman, I couldn't agree with you more! Latin rite Catholics know little about their sister churches because the sister Catholic churches are rarely discussed from the pulpit or in the Latin rite press. Perhaps the Latin rite clergy consider it not important enough to educate Latins about the Eastern churches. If this is so, then much of the Latin rite clergy have a very narrow view of Universal Catholicism which they promulgate to the faithful from childhood on. How will the Universal Catholic Church prepare itself for the time
when the Orthodox Churches becomes united with the Catholic Church. Then they will have to pay attention.
paglione
Old May 2, '12, 10:48 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Roman View Post
I respectfully disagree - to bring Catholicism into our homes also means to bring the variety of liturgical and canonical expressions of Catholicism into our homes and to make Latin Catholics aware of them since so many are so woefully ignorant of them. Otherwise, we make what is Rome's historical error in equating Latin theology with "Catholicism" which surely has a universal quality.

I think EWTN's mission would be greatly enhanced if they had more emphasis on things like icons, the Jesus Prayer, Eastern Saints and the mystical Divine Liturgies - don't you?

Alex
Why should EWTN be required to advertise its competition?
Old May 2, '12, 11:10 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Latin rite Catholic

Eastern Catholicism is not our competition. It is part of the Church as are all the traditions mentioned.
Old May 2, '12, 12:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JharekCarnelian View Post
Eastern Catholicism is not our competition. It is part of the Church as are all the traditions mentioned.
EWTN's mission is to support and witness the Roman rite.
Old May 2, '12, 12:13 pm

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaman View Post
I did not realize that the Latin Church was competing with the Eastern Catholic Churches. What an interesting revelation.
But God, he says, is simple, and whatever attribute of Him you have reckoned as knowable is of His essence. But the absurdities involved in this sophism are innumerable. When all these high attributes have been enumerated, are they all names of one essence? St. Basil Letter 234
Old May 2, '12, 12:17 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
can you point me to a mission statement to that effect?
Old May 2, '12, 12:30 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

Quote:
This is by far the most disappointing response I have seen from a fellow Catholic on this or any other forum, on any subject.

Quote:
OUR MISSION (source: EWTN - General)

EWTN Global Catholic Network is dedicated to teaching the truth as defined by the Magisterium of the Roman Catholic Church. In keeping with the Holy Father's call for a New Evangelization, EWTN's mission is to communicate the teachings and the beauty of the Catholic Church and to help people grow in their love and understanding of God and His infinite mercy.
I could be mistaken, but it would seem that airing programming about the Catholic Church, both East and West, would be very much in line with that mission statement.

In the meantime, with reactions like this nearly 50 years after Vatican II and most ironically on this precise day, the 17th anniversary of the publication of Orientale Lumen, I find this prevailing attitude to be truly disappointing.

Instead of praying for unity with the Orthodox, I'll now start praying for understanding within the Catholic Church, of which I previously thought Eastern Catholics were an integral part.

In the meantime, I'll be prayerfully hopeful of God's infinite mercy!
"Christ always gives his Church the gift of unity, but the Church must always pray and work to maintain, reinforce, and perfect the unity that Christ wills for her."- Catechism of the Catholic Church, "Toward Unity" (CCC 820)
Old May 2, '12, 12:49 pm
Forum Elder

Thank you sir, that mission statement does not seem to me to imply anywhere that EWTN's remit is limite only to the Roman rite and like you I find the dismissive comments about fellow Catholics in the Eastern Churches to be disappointing
Old May 2, '12, 12:54 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to dixieagle

Quote:
With all due respect, this question reflects a thorough ignorance of the rich tapestry that makes up the Catholic (universal) Church.

My blog: http://www.chattycatholic.com
Old May 2, '12, 1:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieagle View Post
With all due respect, this question reflects a thorough ignorance of the rich tapestry that makes up the Catholic (universal) Church.
The Church is not a carpet; it is a teaching institution, and there must be a difference between what the Roman rite teaches and what the Eastern rite teaches, otherwise there wouldn't be a division. If a potential convert were to ask the pope which rite to join, would the pope tell him to join the Roman or Eastern? [Note: Please do not introduce a third irrelevant choice.]
Old May 2, '12, 1:24 pm

Quote:
The Church is not a carpet; it is a teaching institution.
No, the Church is the body and bride of Christ, not some vain philosopher's club.
But God, he says, is simple, and whatever attribute of Him you have reckoned as knowable is of His essence. But the absurdities involved in this sophism are innumerable. When all these high attributes have been enumerated, are they all names of one essence? St. Basil Letter 234
Old May 2, '12, 1:29 pm

Quote:
The Church is not a carpet; it is a teaching institution, and there must be a difference between what the Roman rite teaches and what the Eastern rite teaches, otherwise there wouldn't be a division. If a potential convert were to ask the pope which rite to join, would the pope tell him to join the Roman or Eastern? [Note: Please do not introduce a third irrelevant choice.]
What division? We are in Communion!

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Old May 2, '12, 1:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaradossi View Post
No, the Church is the body and bride of Christ, not some vain philosopher's club.
Jesus commissioned his first apostles to "go into the world and preach the Gospel, teaching what I have taught you." Therefore, the Church is not some vain literary critics club.
Old May 2, '12, 1:33 pm

Quote:
Jesus commissioned his first apostles to "go into the world and preach the Gospel, teaching what I have taught you." Therefore, the Church is not some vain literary critics club.
You don't believe that the Church is the body and bride of Christ? You must not have read any of the New Testament or even the teachings of your own Church.

752 In Christian usage, the word "church" designates the liturgical assembly, but also the local community or the whole universal community of believers. These three meanings are inseparable. "The Church" is the People that God gathers in the whole world. She exists in local communities and is made real as a liturgical, above all a Eucharistic, assembly. She draws her life from the word and the Body of Christ and so herself becomes Christ's Body.

753 In Scripture, we find a host of interrelated images and figures through which Revelation speaks of the inexhaustible mystery of the Church. the images taken from the Old Testament are variations on a profound theme: the People of God. In the New Testament, all these images find a new center because Christ has become the head of this people, which henceforth is his Body. Around this center are grouped images taken "from the life of the shepherd or from cultivation of the land, from the art of building or from family life and marriage."

756 "Often, too, the Church is called the building of God. the Lord compared himself to the stone which the builders rejected, but which was made into the comer-stone. On this foundation the Church is built by the apostles and from it the Church receives solidity and unity. This edifice has many names to describe it: the house of God in which his family dwells; the household of God in the Spirit; the dwelling-place of God among men; and, especially, the holy temple. This temple, symbolized in places of worship built out of stone, is praised by the Fathers and, not without reason, is compared in the liturgy to the Holy City, the New Jerusalem. As living stones we here on earth are built into it. It is this holy city that is seen by John as it comes down out of heaven from God when the world is made anew, prepared like a bride adorned for her husband.

I think it is you who is the vain literary critic.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism