Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 20, '12, 9:31 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Enrolling homeschoolers back in public school.

Due to various circumstances, we have reluctantly decided to put our homeschooled kids back in public school. We've been homeschooling for 2 years and they are very unhappy so we've decided this is the best thing.

What should I expect from the school? Should I expect them to give me trouble? How do they determine grade level? Do they test them and decide themselves or do they take my word for it?

Also, DS has been doing 9th grade Seton. Should I expect them to accept Seton high school credits or will they make him start over in 9th grade?

I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.
Old Apr 20, '12, 10:23 am

Default Re: Enrolling homeschoolers back in public school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masondoggy View Post
Due to various circumstances, we have reluctantly decided to put our homeschooled kids back in public school. We've been homeschooling for 2 years and they are very unhappy so we've decided this is the best thing.

What should I expect from the school? Should I expect them to give me trouble? How do they determine grade level? Do they test them and decide themselves or do they take my word for it?

Also, DS has been doing 9th grade Seton. Should I expect them to accept Seton high school credits or will they make him start over in 9th grade?
Your best course of action is to go down to the district office and speak with an enrollment official there. You're asking good and valid questions; however, the answers are going to depend on the state where you live and individual district guidelines. None of us here are equipped to answer them.

The only thing I can say with certainty is that they should offer you no resistance in enrollment. Public schools in the US are legally required to have a place for every child living in their catchment area irrespective of their race, religion, nationality of origin, or any physical, mental, or emotional disabilities they may have.

Luna
Old Apr 20, '12, 10:29 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

While it likely varies from one place to another, at least where I live home school children entering the public schools are given placement tests and then placed in the grade appropriate to their level of competence. My sister home schooled her eldest son until he was 10. Circumstances required that she re-enter the workforce so she had to put him into school. He did well enough on the placement test that he entered at the grade appropriate for his age.
"Remember that your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or 'that virtue was not convenient at the time.' This will not suffice."
Old Apr 20, '12, 10:34 am
Prayer Warrior

If you are still able to stay home with them, maybe you can look into cyber (virtual) schools and see if your state offers them as a public/charter school option - which means, you do not have to pay tuition. There is one cyber school I know that is available as a public/charter school option as well as a private school option. You can then just get your own curriculum for religion and/or send them to religious education.

I'm sorry I do not really have an answer to your question but I hope you'll find my suggestion helpful.

Peace and all good!
Old Apr 20, '12, 10:46 am

Sorry to hear it is not working out.

Our high school kids are homeschooled, and we were told by the public high school that if they were to enter, our kids would have to make up all the "missed" classes from the grades they were homeschooled. They wouldn't even consider taking the credits, which is ridiculous, because they take credits from schools they know nothing about if a kid moves to this area.

If that is the requirement, one option is for you to keep "homeschooling" them but have them go to the public school, and use the classes for your homeschooling. All you would have to do is keep a transcript. It would be better than another year of high school.
Old Apr 20, '12, 12:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseArrest View Post
Sorry to hear it is not working out.

Our high school kids are homeschooled, and we were told by the public high school that if they were to enter, our kids would have to make up all the "missed" classes from the grades they were homeschooled. They wouldn't even consider taking the credits, which is ridiculous, because they take credits from schools they know nothing about if a kid moves to this area.

If that is the requirement, one option is for you to keep "homeschooling" them but have them go to the public school, and use the classes for your homeschooling. All you would have to do is keep a transcript. It would be better than another year of high school.
That's discriminatory and possibly illegal. At any rate, the onus is on them to examine the syllabus and make a well-reasoned ruling (this is one reason why record keeping is important).
Old Apr 20, '12, 1:15 pm

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

I know many people who have enrolled homeschooled children in public or private schools (and many who have withdrawn children). The specific questions will need to be answered at a meeting with your local school. Check the school district website and see if they have any information there about homeschoolers or even transferring from other districts. Since Seton is a paid program, you should be able to get transcripts from them to take to the school.

I assume you will be finishing this school year at home and enrolling them to start at the public school next year? Contact the school district soon anyway. If testing or a comparision of curriculum shows that your children need to make up any material, you may be able to get that done over the summer so the enter in the fall with their age-mates.

Good luck with the process!
Old Apr 20, '12, 1:24 pm

Religion: Monotheist

Depends on the school. Our son was homeschooled through the 10th grade, then he decided he wanted to go to the local public school.

They were great! Just wanted to know what we had covered, and the counselor worked with us to make sure he had everything he needed.

Sadly, this is not always how it happens. We considered using the public school in a different area when he would have been going into the 2nd grade. The principal was so anti-homeschooling that he refused to allow us to enroll our almost 8yo son in any grade but kindergarten needless to say we just decided to keep homeschooling.

I suggest you should call the school now, before the summer break, and find out where they stand. That way you won't have to be scrambling to get everything in place at the last minute.
Old Apr 20, '12, 7:02 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Seton is an accreditted school. Instead of saying your ds was homeschooled for ninth grade, tell them that he completed ninth grade through an accredited correspondance school. You may want to call Seton and ask them if they'll send the new school a copy of your ds' transcript.
http://www.setonhome.org/accreditation/
Quote:
(from Seton's website)... it is much easier to transfer credits from an accredited school than a non-accredited school. A student who receives high school credits from Seton knows that these credits are backed by the prestige of the accrediting agency. We cannot guarantee that other schools will accept Seton credits. However, accredited schools do routinely accept credits from other accredited schools.
Old Apr 20, '12, 7:45 pm
Prayer Warrior

I want to add that I didn't have any problem enrolling my older two children in a private high school after homeschooling them. They took an admission test and placement test for math, which are standard school policy for all new students at that school. Besides high school, I have also looked at Catholic grammar schools. They also were willing to place my homeschooled children in the grade with their same aged peers.

If your children haven't taken a standardized test yet this year, you might want to give them one even if your state doesn't require it. That would give you some objective test results available to demonstrate what grade level they perform, just in case there is any question of what grade they belong in.

And... I'm sorry that your children were't happy with homeschooling. There are ups and downs to any form of education, and sometimes it's time to move on to a different educational choice. I hope you are content with the decision to put them in school, and I hope that the transition goes smoothly for you and your family.
Old Apr 23, '12, 7:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonCatcher View Post
That's discriminatory and possibly illegal. At any rate, the onus is on them to examine the syllabus and make a well-reasoned ruling (this is one reason why record keeping is important).
Now that you say that - I realize I may have misspoken. They would possibly take them as electives. They said they would expect them to retake whichever history and english classes they "missed". Do you think that is illegal as well?
Old Apr 23, '12, 11:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseArrest View Post
Now that you say that - I realize I may have misspoken. They would possibly take them as electives. They said they would expect them to retake whichever history and english classes they "missed". Do you think that is illegal as well?
So long as they actually examine the records of the courses they're disqualifying and give sound reason for why they are disqualifying them, it should be okay. Though, it should also be subject to appeal (or a test to get out of the class) if you really think they are equivalent to the additional classes they want the kids to take.
Old Apr 23, '12, 2:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonCatcher View Post
So long as they actually examine the records of the courses they're disqualifying and give sound reason for why they are disqualifying them, it should be okay. Though, it should also be subject to appeal (or a test to get out of the class) if you really think they are equivalent to the additional classes they want the kids to take.
That's good advice I may need in the future.

When I approached the school about allowing our kids to attend "part time", that is, go to only the classes they wanted, they agreed. They then stated that if the kids ever wanted to go for a diploma from the school, they would need to retake all the classes they "missed". I suppose what they are telling me is that they will not examine records or give any reasons, I also suppose if I ever decided to fight it they could remind me that I agreed to the arrangement. I think that is rather pompous of them. From what you state it also may be illegal. I don't plan on ever finding out.

I am happy with the arrangement so far. If I ever need to reassess, I would prefer that my kids go to the Catholic high school in the neighboring town rather than this public school. I do like most of the people. I have a very difficult time working through the politics of a public school. I wouldn't want to rely on it fully for my kids' educations.

Thank you for your opinion and insight!
Old Apr 23, '12, 8:48 pm

You should not have any difficulty with the school. Your elementary aged child will most likely be placed by age. If there is a dramatic difference in skill level, they will most likely try to handle it with gifted or enrichment classes (if your child is advanced) or special tutoring (if your child is behind). They generally don't like to remove children from their peer group if at all possible. Most high schools determine grade level by number of credits. All your child's Seton credits in core areas should transfer because it is an accredited program. They may complain that your child is behind in something like foreign language or sewing, but that's easy to catch up on, especially if your child is only a sophomore. It's the parents that try to slip their kids in during the second term of their senior year that usually get told that there's no way for them to make up their music class, foriegn language, and PE requirements in just one term.
Old Apr 24, '12, 7:56 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

I would not do it, frankly. I would work out the problems with the kids while still keeping them at home. Whatever their objections, those can be dealt with, and who is in charge here anyway? Do they get their way just because they are unhappy with your other parenting decisions? I assume that you had good reasons to keep them home and that those reasons are still valid? Is one parent in support of homeschooling and one is not? Could the kids do more co-op classes if they are wanting more of the extracurriculars and contact with others? Maybe you should look for a new curriculum, or if you've been switching around a lot, settle on one and let them get used to it.

I only had my son working at home for a month until my husband drove me crazy with opposition. He had said it was fine for me to homeschool but he didn't really mean it so our son used that division to complain about doing the work. If the parents aren't both on board, fully, it's going to be very difficult if not impossible. You can both address the children if they start to be stroppy, but if one parent isn't on board, it's just very difficult to continue.

Why are your children so unhappy?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting