Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 21, '12, 9:01 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Receiving communion Saturday night (anticipatory) mass, and then again Sunday morning...

Question about attending the Saturday evening anticipatory mass and then again Sunday morning mass, and receiving the Eucharist at both.

Here's my situation..

Lately I've been attending the Saturday night (anticipatory) mass at the parish near my home, then on Sunday morning I go to the Cathedral downtown and attend that mass with friends.

So, technically I am sort of attending the same mass twice (Saturday eve anticipatory mass, and Sunday morning mass), albeit at two different places.

I also take communion at both, so while I do not think this could be considered taking communion twice in the same day (which with few exceptions is forbidden), I am wondering if there are any rules against taking communion at both of these masses considering that they are technically the same mass (even though they actually take place on different days).

Old Apr 21, '12, 9:05 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Receiving communion Saturday night (anticipatory) mass, and then again Sunday morning...

First of all, it isn't forbidden to receive twice in the same day as long as the second time is at Mass. It is forbiddent to receive more than twice unless as Viaticum (or if you are a priest celebrating a third Mass that day).

Secondly, the rules on reception of Communion apply to a 24 hour day rather than a liturgical day. So you can receive on Saturday night and twice on Sunday as long as the last time is at Mass.
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Old Apr 21, '12, 9:13 pm

Default Re: Receiving communion Saturday night (anticipatory) mass, and then again Sunday morning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki View Post
First of all, it isn't forbidden to receive twice in the same day as long as the second time is at Mass.
Yes, if you read my post then you'll see that I qualified that statement by saying "with few exceptions", such as that which you outlined.

Quote:
Secondly, the rules on reception of Communion apply to a 24 hour day rather than a liturgical day. So you can receive on Saturday night and twice on Sunday as long as the last time is at Mass.
Thank you. That is a more helpful response to my inquiry.
Old Apr 21, '12, 9:28 pm
Forum Master

You seem to think that receiving twice in one day is forbidden but you could go to Mass twice on any day and receive both times; or you could receive at the bedside of someone who is ill and then walk out of the hospital and go straight to Mass and receive again. The only time you can't receive a second time is if that second time is not at a Mass you've attended -- unless it's as Viaticum.
Old Apr 21, '12, 9:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phemie View Post
You seem to think that receiving twice in one day is forbidden ..
No, again, if you read my post then you will see that I clearly qualified that statement by saying "with few exceptions", as there most certainly are a few exceptions.
Old Apr 21, '12, 9:36 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel7 View Post
No, again, if you read my post then you will see that I clearly qualified that statement by saying "with few exceptions", as there most certainly are a few exceptions.
You are still misunderstanding. The rule is two times. There are a few exceptions for more than two times.
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Old Apr 21, '12, 9:50 pm

Aha, you are correct, there was indeed some misunderstanding on my part. I thought that the only time that we could receive twice in a day was if, for example, there was danger of death (or visiting someone in danger of death). But yes, the RULE is twice per day for us at mass, and outside of mass when, for example, there is danger of death.

Some info which helped clarify things for me..

Can. 917 One who has received the blessed Eucharist may receive it again on the same day only within a *eucharistic celebration in which that person participates, without prejudice to the provision of can. 921 §2.

Can. 921 §2 Even if they have already received holy communion that same day, it is nevertheless strongly suggested that in danger of death they should communicate again.

The Canon Law Letter & Spirit commentary on Canon 917 says the following:

“The 1917 Code at cc 857, 858 §1 allowed the reception of holy communion a second time on the same day only in danger of death or in order to avoid irreverence to the blessed Eucharist. Between the end of Vat. II and the Code this regulation was relaxed. After the promulgation of the Code there was some debate as to whether the word ‘again’ meant twice only or as often as a person attended Mass. A reply from the Code Commission in 1984 made it clear that it means twice only. Consequently the present law is that a person may receive holy communion a second time on the same day, but only on the occasion of participating in a Mass—unless of course there is danger of death.”

Old Apr 21, '12, 10:16 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Red face Re: Receiving communion Saturday night (anticipatory) mass, and then again Sunday morning...

2 times , I envy you OP

pray the Rosary now - http://www.comepraytherosary.org/
Old Apr 21, '12, 10:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab23 View Post
2 times , I envy you OP
Well, really 1 time per day since it's once on Saturday (anticipatory mass), then again Sunday morning.

But it's cool knowing that we may receive Him twice in a day. Now I bet I start going to mass 2x/day sometimes.

I was confirmed at the Cathedral downtown, and I have some friends that attend there. Just a couple of weeks ago however I started also going Saturday nights to the parish right up the street from where I now live. It is really cool there, and I also like that they serve both species at every mass there (bread AND wine), whereas the cathedral downtown generally only uses the bread host and no wine. Yes, I know our Lord is fully present in just the bread, but I enjoy the full experience of receiving Him in both species at mass, to eat His flesh and drink His blood. Praise God.

Hey mab, thanks to your sig I just joined the confraternity of the Brown Scapular group here on CAF. I love wearing my blessed Brown Scapular and praying the Holy Rosary every day.
Old Apr 21, '12, 10:51 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel7 View Post
Well, really 1 time per day since it's once on Saturday (anticipatory mass), then again Sunday morning.

But it's cool knowing that we may receive Him twice in a day. Now I bet I start going to mass 2x/day sometimes.

I was confirmed at the Cathedral downtown, and I have some friends that attend there. Just a couple of weeks ago however I started also going Saturday nights to the parish right up the street from where I now live. It is really cool there, and I also like that they serve both species at every mass there (bread AND wine), whereas the cathedral downtown generally only uses the bread host and no wine. Yes, I know our Lord is fully present in just the bread, but I enjoy the full experience of receiving Him in both species at mass, to eat His flesh and drink His blood. Praise God.

Hey mab, thanks to your sig I just joined the confraternity of the Brown Scapular group here on CAF. I love wearing my blessed Brown Scapular and praying the Holy Rosary every day.
glad to hear, you are deep in faith, I pray to be more dedicated like you, I love the Brown Scapular, it is a constant reminder of my faith and protects me when I have fear! May God bless you deeply

pray the Rosary now - http://www.comepraytherosary.org/
Old Apr 21, '12, 11:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab23 View Post
glad to hear, you are deep in faith, I pray to be more dedicated like you, I love the Brown Scapular, it is a constant reminder of my faith and protects me when I have fear! May God bless you deeply
Amen!

Let's pray for one another! I'll include you in my intentions whenever I pray the Rosary. Remember to put a good word in for me too!

It is nice to meet you, mab. And thank you!
Old Apr 22, '12, 7:05 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic Christianity

Quote:
Really? I was under the impression it was a refering to the liturgical day. The Saturday vigil is in fact a Sunday Mass as the Liturgical day is senset to sunset, just look at the Divine Office/LOTH where we don't have saturday evening prayer but 1st vespers of Sunday. This of course doesn't alter the twice in one day norm but I wouldn't be so sure about receiving at the vigil Mass and twice on a Sunday unless your the celebrating Priest.
“Being Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction....There is nothing more beautiful than to know Him and to speak to others of our friendship with Him."
Old Apr 22, '12, 11:31 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophorus View Post
Really? I was under the impression it was a refering to the liturgical day. The Saturday vigil is in fact a Sunday Mass as the Liturgical day is senset to sunset, just look at the Divine Office/LOTH where we don't have saturday evening prayer but 1st vespers of Sunday. This of course doesn't alter the twice in one day norm but I wouldn't be so sure about receiving at the vigil Mass and twice on a Sunday unless your the celebrating Priest.
A day is a day - midnight to midnight. The Mass being said doesn't matter. Communion is not itself a liturgical act, though it is most often received in a Liturgical setting. The "rules" for liturgical days don't apply.

For example, if you receive Communion at moning Mass on Saturday and then at the anticipation Mass at 5 pm - that's two Communions in the same day - meets the limit. But if you go to a wedding Mass in between and receive Communion, the evening Mass would be your third and you could not receive then without exceeding the limit.

Canon law

Quote:
Can. 917 A person who has already received the Most Holy Eucharist can receive it a second time on the same day only within the eucharistic celebration in which the person participates, without prejudice to the prescript of ⇒ can. 921, §2.
Canon 921 referred to here is the provision for danger of death.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments