Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 22, '12, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Religion: Latin rite Catholic
Default Re: Alcohol Consumption at Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessup View Post
I personally don't think it has any business in church. I don't see it different then any other drug.
There's a vast difference between drinking a glass or two of wine at a social event (as Christ himself did) and walking around hammered out of your brain. Just as there is a difference between a working man coming home and enjoying one beer with his dinner as oppossed to coming home and downing a dozen pints and shouting at the missus.
Old Apr 22, '12, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward_george View Post
Well, guess we can't use soap in the Church either. Either that or the FDA is going to have to remove the "drug facts" label from the side of the bottle...

-ACEGC
Soap is a drug, wish I'd known that as a kid growing up in the UK and Ireland. It would have been great to be able to shout out, 'I'm not getting in the bath mum, there's drugs in there!'
Old Apr 22, '12, 1:45 pm
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

What is so bad with consuming wine inside Church? You guys obviously haven't been to Vespers with Litya.
Old Apr 22, '12, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantineTG View Post
What is so bad with consuming wine inside Church? You guys obviously haven't been to Vespers with Litya.
Doesn' t bother me personally in the slightest. I'm not familiar with the objections Baptists in the US have to alcohol except at an abstract level. Most Baptists I've met in the UK aren't really that bothered about the odd glass of beer or wine. I do notice though that many , many Baptists in the USA I'v encountered on these boards seems to have an absolute horror of alcohol and there seem at times to be attempt to creatively tetcon out alcohol from the Bible itself or kind of bend around the fact that all the apostles must have imbibed moderately throughout their lives.
Old Apr 22, '12, 2:30 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JharekCarnelian View Post
Doesn' t bother me personally in the slightest. I'm not familiar with the objections Baptists in the US have to alcohol except at an abstract level. Most Baptists I've met in the UK aren't really that bothered about the odd glass of beer or wine. I do notice though that many , many Baptists in the USA I'v encountered on these boards seems to have an absolute horror of alcohol and there seem at times to be attempt to creatively tetcon out alcohol from the Bible itself or kind of bend around the fact that all the apostles must have imbibed moderately throughout their lives.
They base their entire belief on that one Scripture that says, "Do not get drunk on wine." And totally ignore the fact that JESUS even created wine at Cana!

And you know the old proverb, "Baptists can recognize one another everywhere, except in line at the liquor store..."

Old Apr 22, '12, 2:38 pm
Suspended

It does say 'do not get drunk' and not 'don't touch it all'. It's a bit like eating chocolate or confectionery, a small ammount in moderation is pleasurable, over indulge and your body will let you know all about it. As it happens I'm teetotal myself but that's purely because I don't like most alcoholic tastes as I wasn't able to ever drink when younger much for medical reasons and have never got much of a taste for anything alcoholic.
Old Apr 22, '12, 3:13 pm

Default Re: Alcohol Consumption in the Church Narthex Following Mass

America has always had an uneasy relationship with alcohol, in part due to our Puritan past. I am not aware of any other Christian country that attempted to outlaw alcoholic beverages, as we did in the early Twentieth Century. of course, it was Evangelical Protestantism that led the Temperance Movement in the Nineteenth Century that led to Prohibition. The law would have done any Islamic country proud.

The fact that alcohol is a drug is irrelevant. It is legal, and traditionally acceptable. In Judaism, it is part of the culture, and part of their liturgy. At Passover, it s actually recommended that one get mildly intoxicated during the Seder. Certainly Jesus, and His disciples drank wine. They could hardly have been observant Jews without doing so. Alcohol also has health benefits when used in moderation.

Alcoholism is certainly a problem in society. I know in TEC that most diocese have a policy that requires that if alcohol is served at church functions, equal provision must be made that non-alcoholic drinks are readily available.

In my mind, Our God is not a god who is against our having fun. I think that we do not have enough opportunities for fellowship in the Catholic Church. I wish we were moe like Protestant in this regard.

Old Apr 22, '12, 3:35 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
I personally don't think it has any business in church. I don't see it different then any other drug.
So, I am guessing you don't attend the coffee hour either?
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Old Apr 22, '12, 4:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki View Post
So, I am guessing you don't attend the coffee hour either?
Sounds so...Jehovah Witness...
Old Apr 22, '12, 5:18 pm

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
If people commonly used other drugs in such low quantities that the drugs had only the most minor of effects on them, you might have a point.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." - Douglas Adams
Old Apr 22, '12, 7:43 pm
Banned

Religion: Southern Baptist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
They base their entire belief on that one Scripture that says, "Do not get drunk on wine." And totally ignore the fact that JESUS even created wine at Cana!

And you know the old proverb, "Baptists can recognize one another everywhere, except in line at the liquor store..."

lol. That's an OLD joke.

Are you saying that it's being taught that light to moderate drinking is a sin?

Because it seems to me that "Do not get drunk" is pretty clear that moderation is okay.
Old Apr 24, '12, 11:48 am
Banned

Religion: Faithless Catholic / Pascal Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantineTG View Post
So you're against even the Liturgical use of wine?
Of course not, that's sacramental wine. Haven't you ever seen Mel Brooke's as the Rabi in Robin hood men in tights. Its used for blessing things.
I just figured a church would be the one place you can go for refuge from such things.
I'm strait edge myself. SxE for life, XXX
Old Apr 24, '12, 12:51 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Of course not, that's sacramental wine. Haven't you ever seen Mel Brooke's as the Rabi in Robin hood men in tights. Its used for blessing things.
I just figured a church would be the one place you can go for refuge from such things.
"Refuge" implies protection, which in turn implies that there is something from which protection is needed. Given that alcohol consumption is permissible, there is no need for a church to be a refuge from it.

This is coming from a straight-edge.
Old Apr 24, '12, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Religion: Catholic - no buts.
Default Re: Alcohol Consumption in the Church Narthex Following Mass

For clarification, the narthex is in my experience totally separated from the worship space. At the very least there are doors you can close.

At my parish they offer coffee and donuts after every Sunday mass in the narthex. And why not? Heaven forbid people linger, relax and be social with other catholics. Seems like in some places there was an 11th commandment taught: "Thout shalt get thy car off the property less than 5 minutes after the end of mass." Well, it ain't in MY bible....

If coffee and donuts are OK, I see no reason that wine and cheese should be disparaged after an evening program.
Old Apr 24, '12, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Quote:
Refuge from what? We are talking about people drinking a glass or two of wine and not about people going out for a booze up down the pub. It is your personal choice to be teetotal, but there is no reason others must be, there is not teaching in the Church against driking in moderation and no-one has offered a compelling reason as to why this should not have been allowed in the narthex. I am my self teetotal but several priests of parishes I lived in growing up made a habit of offering wine at Christmas at the front of the Church or in the parish hall.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology