Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 22, '12, 10:42 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Why Evangelicals are returning

to Rome....

Below is an interesting YouTube video (really audio) of an Evangelical Radio show in which two Evangelicals discuss why so many Evangelical Protestants are leaving to join the Catholic Church.

The host and guest are trying to be honest in the show entitled “Why Evangelicals are Returning to Rome.” Although towards the end of the video they are making some statements that are historically inaccurate (about Luther and the Popes); nevertheless, their questioning tries to be honest. It is interesting that they are taking note of a large exodus. I am one of those who Crossed the Tiber to Rome.

Furthermore, this was coming from a Protestant network that is decidedly anti-Catholic. They are willing to discuss openly what has been happening for years now (the exodus of Evangelical ordained ministers to Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches). They also mention briefly EWTN, the program Journey Home and the moderator Marcus Grodi, a convert from Evangelical Christianity. It is obvious this is all new to them since they didn’t even know how to pronounce Marcus Grodi’s name.

http://www.catholic-convert.com/2011...-catholic-why/

Sola Scriptura is dead...

Welcome Home Evangelicals...we are not selling Indulgences..that has been reformed...
Old Apr 23, '12, 12:05 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic
Default Re: Why Evangelicals are returning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopticChristian View Post

Welcome Home Evangelicals...we are not selling Indulgences..that has been reformed...
Thanks for posting this. I didn't realize evangelicals were coming in droves.

I met a former choir director on the street recently and he knew that I had converted. And he told me that his grandma was Catholic and as a child she used to bring her grandchildren to mass. He said that he missed the rituals and he is finding church service to be sort of bland.

I'm keeping that one in prayer.

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old Apr 23, '12, 3:08 am
Banned

Quote:
Sola Scriptura is dead...

One of these days my parish priest mentioned that the Archdiocese of Miami had 20,000 converts to Catholicism last year, and how the media is silent on that, while the same media is all abuzz with Fr. Alberto Cutie's new book slamming Catholicism, you know the Catholic priest who converted to Episcopalian after marrying the woman with whom he had an affair and to whom he fathered a child. So, the media is all over Fr. Cutie because he left the Catholic Church and because he is such a vocal critic of the Catholic Church, but they fail to mention that 20,000 people converted to Catholicism in a single archdiocese, last year.
Old Apr 23, '12, 6:33 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L piperatus View Post

One of these days my parish priest mentioned that the Archdiocese of Miami had 20,000 converts to Catholicism last year, and how the media is silent on that, while the same media is all abuzz with Fr. Alberto Cutie's new book slamming Catholicism, you know the Catholic priest who converted to Episcopalian after marrying the woman with whom he had an affair and to whom he fathered a child. So, the media is all over Fr. Cutie because he left the Catholic Church and because he is such a vocal critic of the Catholic Church, but they fail to mention that 20,000 people converted to Catholicism in a single archdiocese, last year.
Pipe,

What is amusing is the notion of the need for reform due to sale of indulgences. Absent the sale of indulgences as described what was the reformation/deformation about...it was not about reforming what was but seperating and deforming something seperate...it is good to hear this ignorance as it is stated...ie the need for reform..ok...now that this is reformed why are you there and we are still here...and why are people coming home?
Old Apr 23, '12, 8:15 am
Forum Master

Interesting

"Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen." St. Gertrude
Old Apr 23, '12, 8:49 am

Religion: Evangelical Catholic - LCMS

Quote:
Pipe,

What is amusing is the notion of the need for reform due to sale of indulgences. Absent the sale of indulgences as described what was the reformation/deformation about...it was not about reforming what was but seperating and deforming something seperate...it is good to hear this ignorance as it is stated...ie the need for reform..ok...now that this is reformed why are you there and we are still here...and why are people coming home?
While I cannot speak for the "Evangelicals", and speak only for myself as a Lutheran - I am here to explore this very idea. The more we talk, the more we understand each other's positions - and with the good will I see in this forum, we are discovering that the divergence in our belief and practice is small, and shrinking even as we go forward and begin to speak using words we have jointly defined and understand.

I don't understand why it was so impossible to see in earlier generations. Surely God was not the one who hid these truths...
Old Apr 23, '12, 10:24 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

My husband and I, along with our daughter, are converts to Catholicism from evangelical Protestantism.

We believe that there are two main reasons that evangelicals are converting:

1. They read the Bible inside and out, and ask the Holy Spirit to help them understand and apply it. According to Jesus, if human fathers can give good gifts to their children, our Heavenly Father will be even more able to give good gifts to those who ask. The Bible says, "Ask, and it shall be given." When evangelical Protestants sincerely ask the Holy Spirit to open up the Word of God and help them to understand it, they see that the Bible describes the Catholic Church in every book, and that the Catholic Church IS the Church that Jesus established.

2. They sincerely love Jesus and want to follow Him and obey Him in all things, even to the point of giving their lives for Him. So when Protestants tell Jesus this and pledge their hearts and very lives to Him, He will, because of His great love for them, lead them to the Catholic Church. Although some evangelical Protestants get scared and shy away from this leading, thinking that they are being deceived, others decide to trust the Lord Jesus and follow Him, even if they are afraid or wary of where He is leading them.

These things have always been true of evangelicals, but the reason why so many are now converting has to do with the ease of acquiring information in this computer age. In the past, it was difficult for evangelicals to explore Catholicism because they were so incredibly busy in their own evangelical Protestant churches with various (and many) ministries. But now through online sites such as CAF and many others, evangelicals can study and learn all about Catholicism, and even see a Mass for themselves, all on their own time. So Praise God for computers!
Old Apr 23, '12, 3:09 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic - no buts.

Quote:
Pipe,

What is amusing is the notion of the need for reform due to sale of indulgences.
In fairness, catholic denunciation of the sin of simony long predates the protestant revolt. One may argue that practices haven't always conformed with theology and that's true (as recent scandals well illustrate). But let's not imply that catholicism once formally endorsed the purchase of indulgences as a financial transaction. It may have seemed that way to some, but there is a real and substantial difference between recognizing the merit in a sacrificial contribution that comes from the heart and enabling a cynical attempt to use money to avoid the consequences of sin.
Old Apr 23, '12, 3:46 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post
In fairness, catholic denunciation of the sin of simony long predates the protestant revolt. One may argue that practices haven't always conformed with theology and that's true (as recent scandals well illustrate). But let's not imply that catholicism once formally endorsed the purchase of indulgences as a financial transaction. It may have seemed that way to some, but there is a real and substantial difference between recognizing the merit in a sacrificial contribution that comes from the heart and enabling a cynical attempt to use money to avoid the consequences of sin.
Man,

I am with you however as you listen to the podcast you hear that the Church needed reforrm based on "sale of indulgences"...so if that was rectified why the need to depart and form or deform?
Old Apr 23, '12, 3:55 pm
Veteran Member

Hillaire Belloc wrote a rather interesting book on the subject called "How the Reformation Happened." He makes a pretty compelling argument that the theological principles of the 'reformation' were trumped up rationalizations for the REAL motivations that created and sustained the revolt: greed and lust for the lands owned by the Church and religious orders. You have to read the book, because my nutshell doesn't remotely do it justice.
Old Apr 23, '12, 3:58 pm

Religion: Lutheran
Send a message via Skype™ to IggyAntiochus

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post
Hillaire Belloc wrote a rather interesting book on the subject called "How the Reformation Happened." He makes a pretty compelling argument that the theological principles of the 'reformation' were trumped up rationalizations for the REAL motivations that created and sustained the revolt: greed and lust for the lands owned by the Church and religious orders. You have to read the book, because my nutshell doesn't remotely do it justice.
I am sure Belloc was completely unbiased
Old Apr 23, '12, 4:03 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyAntiochus View Post
I am sure Belloc was completely unbiased
Aren't we all?
Old Apr 23, '12, 7:51 pm
Banned

Religion: Orthodox

Since the Council, the Catholic Church has softened its language and policy on the re-emancipation of separated protestant brethren. This change alone has paid huge dividends in terms of conversion numbers as well as the overall look and feel of Catholic parishes in North America and abroad. Moreover, these big numbers have ushered in changes in architecture, music, liturgy, catechesis, the sacraments, parish and diocesan leadership - essentially the whole culture of Catholicism.

The host of the podcast also reported that a large number of former evangelicals have converted to Orthodoxy in recent decades. It's worth noting that the road from protestant evangelicalism to Orthodox Christianity is longer and requires much more effort and humility than the road back to Roman Catholicism. No one is allowed to waltz into Orthodoxy with a sense of entitlement. Prospective converts submit themselves to a year of attending liturgical services and classroom studies. Heresies of their former confessions are given no quarter. They are immediately exposed to the light of day and thoroughly debunked by the teachings of the Apostles and Church fathers. Serious business indeed. And so much more newsworthy.

Last edited by Mark Cassian; Apr 23, '12 at 8:02 pm.
Old Apr 23, '12, 8:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cassian View Post
Since the Council, the Catholic Church has softened its language and policy on the re-emancipation of separated protestant brethren. This change alone has paid huge dividends in terms of conversion numbers as well as the overall look and feel of Catholic parishes in North America and abroad. Moreover, these big numbers have ushered in changes in architecture, music, liturgy, catechesis, the sacraments, parish and diocesan leadership - essentially the whole culture of Catholicism.

The host of the podcast also reported that a large number of former evangelicals have converted to Orthodoxy in recent decades. It's worth noting that the road from protestant evangelicalism to Orthodox Christianity is longer and requires much more effort and humility than the road back to Roman Catholicism. No one is allowed to waltz into Orthodoxy with a sense of entitlement. Prospective converts submit themselves to a year of attending liturgical services and classroom studies. Heresies of their former confessions are given no quarter. They are immediately exposed to the light of day and thoroughly debunked by the teachings of the Apostles and Church fathers. Serious business indeed. And so much more newsworthy.
I believe the same is for the Catholic case.
Old Apr 23, '12, 8:47 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cassian View Post

Mark,

The light of day is needed to see as you recall that for Paul it was shells that fell from the eyes once blinded on straight street...gotta set em straight...
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions