Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 24, '12, 3:46 am

Religion: Presbyterian with Catholic sympathies
Default St Joseph 'never fail' novena

I have been praying this novena and it finished last night. Without waiting for a result, I am posting it now. It doesn't say in it that you must first wish for the successful result, it just says say for 9 days then publish. So I don't know if it is going to work but I am publishing it in an act of faith that it WILL work.

'Glorious St Joseph, foster-father and protector of Jesus Christ! To you I raise my heart and my hands to implore your powerful intercession. Please obtain for me from the kind heart of Jesus the help and graces necessary for my spiritual and temporal welfare. I ask particularly for the grace of a happy death and the special favor I now implore (REQUEST) guardian of the word incarnate, I feel animated with confidence that your
prayers in my behalf will graciously be heard before the throne of God. (REQUEST)
O gracious St Joseph through the love you bear to Jesus Christ, and for the glory of his name hear my prayers and obtain my petition.'

PRAY FOR 9 DAYS AND PUBLISH MAKE SURE YOU REALLY WANT WHAT YOU ASK BECAUSE IT HAS NEVER BEEN KNOWN TO FAIL, TRUST ME (not me, YPat, but these words inn capitals were written by the person whose site provided this prayer) YOU PRAYERS WILL BE ANSWERED.
Old Apr 24, '12, 5:06 am

Religion: catholic
Default Re: St Joseph 'never fail' novena

I would stay away from "never fail" novenas and ones that tell you to publish or leave copies in the church for the prayer to be answered. They are nothing more than spiritual chain letters. Saying the prayer is OK, it's a wonderful prayer, but please don't fall into the trap of the conditions needed for the prayer to work. God hears all our prayers and answers in His way, which is not always how we want it.

I go around each and every day picking up these novenas from around our church. Sometimes I pick up close to 50 or more. What a waste of paper. This borders on, if not is in fact, superstition not real prayer.

Again, pray the prayer asking for God's will to be done. Forget publishing or strewing papers all over the church. And if your request is granted then thank God.
Old Apr 24, '12, 6:38 am

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Layp3rs0n

As much as I would like to believe in "NEVER FAIL" novenas, we must remember God will only answer prayers (with a yes) when it is good for us. Thesw can breed superstion. Prayer is not a genie. I recently found one of thes at my Church that actually cites examples of people receiving curses for not propogating it. "So and so's son died when he disregarded this. What kind of novena threatens its receipiant?!
Old Apr 24, '12, 6:45 am

My pastor doesn't' allow them to be left in our parish. He refers to these prayers as treating God with a slot machine mentality. Leave room for God's will, and not our own.
The prayer itself to St. Joseph is good, just don't make claims about it never failing, or getting what you have prayed for.

"May Mary, who bearing Jesus in her womb was the first living "tabernacle" of the Eucharist, communicate to us her same faith in the holy mystery of the Body and Blood of her divine Son, so that it may truly be the centre of our life."
--Pope Benedict XVI
Old Apr 24, '12, 7:00 am

My pastor doesn't' allow them to be left in our parish. He refers to these prayers as treating God with a slot machine mentality. Leave room for God's will, and not our own.
The prayer itself to St. Joseph is good, just don't make claims about it never failing, or getting what you have prayed for.

"May Mary, who bearing Jesus in her womb was the first living "tabernacle" of the Eucharist, communicate to us her same faith in the holy mystery of the Body and Blood of her divine Son, so that it may truly be the centre of our life."
--Pope Benedict XVI
Old Apr 25, '12, 5:21 am

Religion: Beaten-up Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathryn View Post
That`s a great description!

Even worse are the Saint Jude novena "chain letter" prayers: 81 sheets of paper over 9 days!
Old Apr 25, '12, 10:44 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiasco View Post
That`s a great description!

Even worse are the Saint Jude novena "chain letter" prayers: 81 sheets of paper over 9 days!
One of our priests made it into a game seeing who could find the most. then the person leaving them must have figured out we were throwing them out because he started hiding them in strange places and in the hymn books. We were never able to discover who was leaving them.
Old Apr 26, '12, 6:43 pm

For those interested in St. Joseph and prayerbooks to him, if I could humbly recommend my website, http://www.catholicchurchsaints.com .

I've authored a number of books and ebooks about St. Joseph. Enjoy!

stjoe4u2
Old Jun 7, '13, 2:55 pm
Trial Membership

I just finished praying the St. Joseph and St. Jude novena yesterday and even though I am only waiting to take an entrance exam on the 20th, I want to post this since everyone says you need to publish in order for it to work. I haven't been seeing the scores that I want yet but I'm going to try to stay strong in my faith and hope that St. Joseph and St. Jude will intercede on my behalf.
Old Jun 7, '13, 3:00 pm
Banned

Religion: RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithaboveall View Post
I just finished praying the St. Joseph and St. Jude novena yesterday and even though I am only waiting to take an entrance exam on the 20th, I want to post this since everyone says you need to publish in order for it to work. I haven't been seeing the scores that I want yet but I'm going to try to stay strong in my faith and hope that St. Joseph and St. Jude will intercede on my behalf.
its magic!
Old Jun 7, '13, 6:01 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by YPat View Post
I have been praying this novena and it finished last night. Without waiting for a result, I am posting it now. It doesn't say in it that you must first wish for the successful result, it just says say for 9 days then publish. So I don't know if it is going to work but I am publishing it in an act of faith that it WILL work.

'Glorious St Joseph, foster-father and protector of Jesus Christ! To you I raise my heart and my hands to implore your powerful intercession. Please obtain for me from the kind heart of Jesus the help and graces necessary for my spiritual and temporal welfare. I ask particularly for the grace of a happy death and the special favor I now implore (REQUEST) guardian of the word incarnate, I feel animated with confidence that your
prayers in my behalf will graciously be heard before the throne of God. (REQUEST)
O gracious St Joseph through the love you bear to Jesus Christ, and for the glory of his name hear my prayers and obtain my petition.'

PRAY FOR 9 DAYS AND PUBLISH MAKE SURE YOU REALLY WANT WHAT YOU ASK BECAUSE IT HAS NEVER BEEN KNOWN TO FAIL, TRUST ME (not me, YPat, but these words inn capitals were written by the person whose site provided this prayer) YOU PRAYERS WILL BE ANSWERED.
Alleged NEVER FAIL novenas should be avoided.
Old Jul 9, '13, 8:59 pm
Trial Membership

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality