Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 24, '12, 7:54 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Question Relay for Life

I have been informed that as a good Catholic, I should not participate nor support our local Relay for Life because the American Cancer Society grants money to Plan Parenthood and endorses embrionic stem-cell research. Has the Catholic Church made this demand on Church Members?
Old Apr 24, '12, 9:29 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Hardcore καθολικό
Default Re: Relay for Life

This isn't the kind of thing the church would make a formal statement about. Your pastor may suggest that given the support those groups offer to pro-abortion, it may be wise to steer clear of that event, but the church isn't likely to call it a sin.

Now, if you were attending that event with the purpose of supporting it so money could go to pro-abortion groups, then you may be crossing the line. But attending it because it is a group that provides funding for all sorts of cancers is ok. If we avoid supporting groups that had even a little bit to do with the culture of death, then we would have to stop supporting everybody.

Don't worry, enjoy the race.
Old Apr 24, '12, 9:40 pm
Prayer Warrior

I also found out that a lot of relays and fund raisers for cancer held by the big name groups donate to planned parenthood. When questioned about this, they respond that the funds go to printed material reminding mothers that smoking causes cancer in unborn children, and yada yada yada. They dont always tell the truth. Pray for guidance on which fund you choose. I think Saint Judes Childrens Hospital is a safe one to support.

There was a website that listed those that do support planned parenthood, and those that did not..... if I can find it, I will post.
Old Apr 25, '12, 3:40 am
Trial Membership

Lightbulb Re: Relay for Life

Thank you for your responses.......I recognize that one must search their heart and have faith in the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Your answers have help me see that is the proper route to take. Again, thank you.
Old May 30, '12, 12:21 pm

I am stuck in the same situation. About a month ago my friends brother asked me if I wanted to join the Relay for Life campaign. It sounded like a good cause so I signed up. I then later saw on the news that the Komen For a Cure Foundation had just apologized for cutting funding from planned parenthood. I then had the thought that if the foundation that has many at my school wearing pink ribbons during breast cancer awareness month then a cancer society could easily be willing to encourage the slaughtering of children or the evils of contraception. Yesterday I checked the internet to see if my idea might be true. I read all shorts of things from the American Cancer Society funds planned parenthood to the CEO makes 2 million dollars a year. I also read that one of the founders of ACS was one of the Rockefellers. I have no clue whether any of this is true. So what should I do? Should I tell my parents and my friends brother I'm not interested anymore and explain or not explain to them why? Or should I just finish raising the $100 dollars I need and go along with it? If I did back down I would have to give back some of the money that I have already got people to donate but that shouldn't be a problem. I also thought about just giving back the money that has already been donated and pay my own $100 not knowing where it will go. Anybody else have any ideas or motivation support? I feel ashamed that I allowed myself to be tricked into this so easily. If I finished this one program and not make a big deal out of it and try hard for it not to happen again would that be better?
Old May 30, '12, 12:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015huntmj View Post
I am stuck in the same situation. About a month ago my friends brother asked me if I wanted to join the Relay for Life campaign. It sounded like a good cause so I signed up. I then later saw on the news that the Komen For a Cure Foundation had just apologized for cutting funding from planned parenthood. I then had the thought that if the foundation that has many at my school wearing pink ribbons during breast cancer awareness month then a cancer society could easily be willing to encourage the slaughtering of children or the evils of contraception. Yesterday I checked the internet to see if my idea might be true. I read all shorts of things from the American Cancer Society funds planned parenthood to the CEO makes 2 million dollars a year. I also read that one of the founders of ACS was one of the Rockefellers. I have no clue whether any of this is true. So what should I do? Should I tell my parents and my friends brother I'm not interested anymore and explain or not explain to them why? Or should I just finish raising the $100 dollars I need and go along with it? If I did back down I would have to give back some of the money that I have already got people to donate but that shouldn't be a problem. I also thought about just giving back the money that has already been donated and pay my own $100 not knowing where it will go. Anybody else have any ideas or motivation support? I feel ashamed that I allowed myself to be tricked into this so easily. If I finished this one program and not make a big deal out of it and try hard for it not to happen again would that be better?
I'd definitely talk to my parents about the situation. If it was me, I would no longer be able to participate in the Relay for Life after finding out the connection.

One thing though, the pink ribbons are not just for the Koman foundation. The pink ribbon is only for breast cancer awareness, not any one particular charity. There are a few pro-life breast cancer charities that use the pink ribbon as well, such as the National Breast Cancer Foundation. Don't assume that whenever you see the pink ribbon, it means that person is supporting a charity that in turn gives to Planned Parenthood.

If you feel a call to support breast cancer research, perhaps searching for more information on the National Breast Cancer Foundation and how to support their fundraising efforts would be a better way to go.
Old May 31, '12, 10:11 am
Prayer Warrior

Now I am hearing that Planned Parenthood also uses the funding from Relay for Life to pay for pre-cancerous scanning for young mothers who dont have any insurance or cash for the screening. Without Planned Parethood they would not be able to have their pap smears or mamograms. Can anyone find out if this is true? and if it is, what kind of rock and hard place could be any worse?

Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of we the faithfull. Enkindle in our hearts the fire and wisdom of your love. Send us your spirit, our hearts will be renewed, and You shall renew the face of the earth, Amen.
Old Jun 1, '12, 9:34 am

Wow.

This... doesn't surprise me one bit.

I had supported Relay for Life in the past. But I always felt like something was wrong. I don't know how to describe it other than a gut feeling, possibly because they made such a freakin huge deal about how important it is to support it on my campus (which is over the top liberal/feminist/pro-choice). I guess my conscience was onto something. I will never again support this kind of garbage.

I work in a pathology lab, I contribute to the healing of these kind of diseases simply by showing up to work, so there's no need to guilt me back into supporting these fraudulent organizations
Old Nov 21, '13, 9:04 am

The American Cancer Society is not considered a pro-life organization for the following reasons:

1. Support for human embryonic stem cell research
2. Grant funding at facilities known prominently for human embryonic stem cell research
3. Grant funding for morally questionable research
4. Grant funding to Planned Parenthood
5. Referrals to Planned Parenthood as a health information/education resource
6. Donations to the Lance Armstrong LiveStrong Global Cancer Campaign (see entry for LiveStrong)
7. Failure to acknowledge the link between previously induced abortion and risk for breast cancer
8. Suggested fertility options including IVF, embryo freezing, egg/sperm donation and surrogacy

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014