Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 30, '12, 2:32 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian
Default Re: why does communion make everyone so miserable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtosew View Post
The same if you crack a smile at someone they look at you like your weird. I think its a rule one is suppose to look sad at Church or something. I feel the same as you.
This is untrue. I have people smiling at me and greeting me WHILE I'M IN THE COMMUNAL LINE, during the Sign of Peace, during other parts of the Mass. So it all depends on what people you are around and/or your timing. There are times to smile and times to maybe refrain.
Old Apr 30, '12, 2:34 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany View Post
Hey all,

At all the churches were i live (scotland) whenever its time for communion they always play awful funeral music and everyone looks really depressed when they go for and come back from communion.
Its like its a sin to smile.
I don't know whats going on with everyone I just wish church was a more happy occassion.
Sometimes i hate going, I know i shouldn't say that but its true cause the whole mass is always so depressing.

How are the masses where you all are from??

Albany
xxx
Just a couple of thoughts here...

Keep in mind that the Mass is not intended to be a knee-slapping, foot stomping, hillbilly hoedown. It is the re-presentation of Calvary, where Jesus was murdered horribly for our sins. Would you have stood at the foot of the Cross of Christ, smiling and joyfully clapping your hands, etc.? Or would you be more solemn, serious, grateful, etc.?

If we are properly disposed at Mass, we get the same graces had we actually been at the foot of the Cross of Christ.
Old Apr 30, '12, 2:45 pm

thanks me2nd i guess you have to see it to understand what i mean.

i'd love our masses to be more upbeat but i take everyones point though.

I worry as well cause catholicism if a big part of my family history so i in a way feel i have to practice it to honour my family. Not that im saying i dont want to be catholic cause i do.
But 90 odd percent of parishioners at my church are elderly and im one of the few young ones who go. None of my friend go even though some where raised catholic and i just worry that anyone joining the church would look at us and think no way. in the last five years i think only 3 people have joined the church as adults there is not many baptisms and at first holy communion about ten kids each year who you never see at mass after that.

i know thats all really cultural to scotland but all i mean is i can understand why people dont attend.

im not saying i want mass to be a circus but i honestly think it should be a joyous celebration. and ok it might sound judgement but i said in the post that this was only my opinion but i do think Jesus would want communion to bring joy.

A
xxx
Old Apr 30, '12, 3:08 pm

Religion: Christian

where I go everyone sure looks depressed at mass. It is also very unfriendly. I'm sure it can't be that way everywhere.
Old Apr 30, '12, 3:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca123 View Post
where I go everyone sure looks depressed at mass. It is also very unfriendly. I'm sure it can't be that way everywhere.
Thanks Rebecca at least one person agress with me

A
xx
Old Apr 30, '12, 3:59 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!

Solemn and interiorly prayerful.....not depressed and miserable.
Old Apr 30, '12, 4:02 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!

Joy is very much part and partial to our Faith http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/be..._youth_en.html

But one can be very prayerful and solemn in ones Communion with Jesus Christ at the time Holy Communion....and still quietly joyful in the interior of ones soul.
Old Apr 30, '12, 4:08 pm
Banned

Quote:
Why didn't you just go to confession?
I had many times especially early on. Though I found myself having to come back literally each week for one sin or another, and sometimes it was for the same one as the week before. Eventually I felt discouraged from even trying anymore.

In any case, as some people said I will admit that I'd softly cry in silence during the Transubstantiation. Back then I did understand the importance of the Eucharist and it actually provided me peace when I would attend adoration. It really is a wonderful gift, it is simply my own faults that let jealousy of others, misery of self, and discouragement from receiving confession get between that gift.
Old Apr 30, '12, 4:31 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah_Betrayed View Post
It's been about seven years since I entered a Catholic Church, but I don't recall such poor spirits among those receiving the Eucharist.

Of course I personally felt miserble every time I had to sit in the pews while the rows emptied with people going for the Eucharist simply because I knew I commited a sin before hand and should not partake.

Partly why I stopped attending, why spent time somewhere that only feeds your depression?
Do you realize every one that was up there receiving communion also had sin on them, even if they went to confession. Only people in mortal sin need to go to confession before receiving. I would enc you to go to confession and start going again and realize you as human as everyone else.
Old Apr 30, '12, 4:43 pm

Religion: Latin Church Catholic

As a fellow Scot I blame the Calvinists. They've had undue influence on Catholicism in Scotland
Old Apr 30, '12, 4:48 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickybr38 View Post
I often have to fight tears after communion.

I understand that many people are overwhelmed with JOY but I am often just overwhelmed.

Christ died and suffered for ME. I suppose this should flood me with joy but I'm still processing. I still can't believe it. Why ME? I'm a horrible, miserable, ungrateful human being. Why on EARTH did HE suffer for ME?

It's just not something that I can wrap my head around.

I am so sorry that my shock and sorrow is causing you problems. I just can't fake a smile when my soul, heart and mind is bowed down before God.
Me, too. I do not smile because I am asking Jesus to flood me with His presence and wipe my stained soul clean as His Body is absorbed by my system.

I can answer your question, though, nickybr38.

It's because he loves you THAT MUCH.
Old Apr 30, '12, 4:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah_Betrayed View Post
I had many times especially early on. Though I found myself having to come back literally each week for one sin or another, and sometimes it was for the same one as the week before. Eventually I felt discouraged from even trying anymore.

In any case, as some people said I will admit that I'd softly cry in silence during the Transubstantiation. Back then I did understand the importance of the Eucharist and it actually provided me peace when I would attend adoration. It really is a wonderful gift, it is simply my own faults that let jealousy of others, misery of self, and discouragement from receiving confession get between that gift.
Satan got to you, eh? Put one foot in front of the other, and get back to confession. Jesus is waiting for you. Patiently, but you don't want to put Him off forever.
Old Apr 30, '12, 4:53 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
Me, too. I do not smile because I am asking Jesus to flood me with His presence and wipe my stained soul clean as His Body is absorbed by my system.

I can answer your question, though, nickybr38.

It's because he loves you THAT MUCH.
How do we comprehend that kind of love? I don't know about you, but I am not worthy. Not nearly.

I feel like the tax collector who falls down and prays: Lord, have mercy. And that's all I have in me to say.
Old Apr 30, '12, 5:04 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany View Post
No i dont think its about awe or respect I think where im from its like just expected to act that way in church.

mass equals depression.

i just wish it could be a happier occasion.

and im totally no expert in anything but I think Jesus would want communion to be joyous and I think He'd love to see more people smile.
just my opinion though.

also littlesoilder it is probably soloem music it just sounds depressing thats why i called it funeral music lol

Albany
XX
Oh I agree with you, its a joyful occasion, he did what he came to do, save us, and we should rejoice because now we have eternal life, hope and joy.
Old Apr 30, '12, 5:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickybr38 View Post
How do we comprehend that kind of love? I don't know about you, but I am not worthy. Not nearly.

I feel like the tax collector who falls down and prays: Lord, have mercy. And that's all I have in me to say.
I know. I am the same. Sometimes, I can barely raise my head and look at the crucifix at Mass. I remember the day when I truly recognized that Jesus died for ME, for MY SINS, that I am still committing, and I just sobbed. Can still sob about it. I am doing my best and it's still not enough. It never will be enough. But He loves us.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments