Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 6, '12, 8:46 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Can I prescribe birth control?

The physician or nurse practitioner who prescribes contraception sins gravely. In the case of abortifacient contraception, I consider that the physician or NP is not merely formally cooperating with grave sin, but is actually procuring a direct abortion. He or she is authorizing a medication that is an abortifacient. In any case, whether the physician or NP is an accomplice without whose help the crime of abortion could not be committed, or a co-perpetrator, the sentence of automatic excommunication applies to all direct abortions:

Pope John Paul II: "The excommunication affects all those who commit this crime with knowledge of the penalty attached, and thus includes those accomplices without whose help the crime would not have been committed." (Evangelium Vitae, n. 62)

That excommunication for abortion applies even to non-surgical abortions, to any means of procurement of direct abortion, is clear from this decision of the Holy See:

"D. [doubt] Whether the abortion, to which Canon 1398 [refers], is to be understood [1] only concerning the expulsion of the immature fetus, or [2] also to the killing of the same fetus being procured in any manner, and at any time, from the moment of conception.

"R. [response] Negative to the first part; affirmative to the second [part]." [Source]
Old May 6, '12, 10:11 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!

Regarding excommunication: http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/abortio2.htm
Old May 6, '12, 11:14 am

Religion: Practicing Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Elizium23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
The physician or nurse practitioner who prescribes contraception sins gravely. In the case of abortifacient contraception, I consider that the physician or NP is not merely formally cooperating with grave sin, but is actually procuring a direct abortion. He or she is authorizing a medication that is an abortifacient. In any case, whether the physician or NP is an accomplice without whose help the crime of abortion could not be committed, or a co-perpetrator, the sentence of automatic excommunication applies to all direct abortions:

Pope John Paul II: "The excommunication affects all those who commit this crime with knowledge of the penalty attached, and thus includes those accomplices without whose help the crime would not have been committed." (Evangelium Vitae, n. 62)

That excommunication for abortion applies even to non-surgical abortions, to any means of procurement of direct abortion, is clear from this decision of the Holy See:

"D. [doubt] Whether the abortion, to which Canon 1398 [refers], is to be understood [1] only concerning the expulsion of the immature fetus, or [2] also to the killing of the same fetus being procured in any manner, and at any time, from the moment of conception.

"R. [response] Negative to the first part; affirmative to the second [part]." [Source]
Sorry, I do not believe any of this is true for Catholics.

http://www.all.org/nav/index/heading...Mzc/id/NjgyMg/

The so-called "birth control pill" is merely a hormonal drug treatment that has the effect of preventing ovulation, and sometimes an abortifacient effect which prevents implantation of a growing embryo. It has other uses. It is not intrinsically evil.

Hormone pills can morally be prescribed for treatment of irregular periods and the like, if certain conditions are observed. The woman must abstain from sexual relations while she is undergoing treatment with this drug. This rules out the contraceptive and abortifacient effects of the pill.

The prescriber, acting in good faith, when prescribing the pill for non-contraceptive use, and believing that the recipient will abstain from sexual relations while using it, is not committing any sin.

However, looking at the rest of the article I cited, it seems there is good medical evidence against the use of hormone pills for regulating periods, so that is also something to consider when asked to prescribe them.

Furthermore, I do not believe that merely prescribing drugs for birth control will incur latae sententiae excommunication. The prescriber cannot predict or know when or if the recipient will engage in sexual relations, nor whether those relations will result in the conception of an embryo. It is only in rare cases of conception that the ordinary "birth control pill" has an abortifacient effect, its normal effect is to prevent ovulation. Yes, it is a grave sin to prescribe contraceptives, but honestly I would check with a priest or canon lawyer as to the application of an automatic excommunication.
Old May 6, '12, 11:26 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizium23 View Post
Sorry, I do not believe any of this is true for Catholics.

The prescriber, acting in good faith, when prescribing the pill for non-contraceptive use, and believing that the recipient will abstain from sexual relations while using it, is not committing any sin.
My understanding is that, when using birth control pills for non-contraceptive purposes (i.e. hormonal problems), a couple need not abstain from intercourse. The intent is to treat or cure a medical condition, not prevent a pregnancy, so the use is licit, and the couple need not abstain.
Old May 6, '12, 11:50 am

Religion: Practicing Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Elizium23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryHelene View Post
My understanding is that, when using birth control pills for non-contraceptive purposes (i.e. hormonal problems), a couple need not abstain from intercourse. The intent is to treat or cure a medical condition, not prevent a pregnancy, so the use is licit, and the couple need not abstain.
Regardless of the intent, the reality is that the drug can induce an abortion, and that cannot be permitted to happen at any cost.
Old May 6, '12, 12:17 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!

http://www.ncbcenter.org/ (call number at bottom ask to speak with an ethicist --they can goto detail with you)

http://www.fertilitycare.org/massach...ical-consulta/

http://www.popepaulvi.com/
Old May 6, '12, 12:21 pm

Quote:
Regardless of the intent, the reality is that the drug can induce an abortion, and that cannot be permitted to happen at any cost.
The theory that oral contraceptives cause abortions is totally theoretical. As far as I know, there are no legitimate studies that indicate oral contraceptives cause an increase in zygote loss.

I think it weakens the argument against contraception when we mislead people with "proof" that simply does not exist because we think it will bolster our point.
Old May 6, '12, 1:08 pm

Quote:
The theory that oral contraceptives cause abortions is totally theoretical. As far as I know, there are no legitimate studies that indicate oral contraceptives cause an increase in zygote loss.

I think it weakens the argument against contraception when we mislead people with "proof" that simply does not exist because we think it will bolster our point.
"The close connection which exists, in mentality, between the practice of contraception and that of abortion is becoming increasingly obvious. It is being demonstrated in an alarming way by the development of chemical products, intrauterine devices and vaccines which, distributed with the same ease as contraceptives, really act as abortifacients in the very early stages of the development of the life of the new human being." (Evangelium Vitae, n. 13.)
Old May 6, '12, 1:11 pm

Quote:
CCC: "Legitimate intentions on the part of the spouses do not justify recourse to morally unacceptable means (for example, direct sterilization or contraception)." (CCC 2399)
Old May 6, '12, 1:14 pm

Quote:
"The close connection which exists, in mentality, between the practice of contraception and that of abortion is becoming increasingly obvious. It is being demonstrated in an alarming way by the development of chemical products, intrauterine devices and vaccines which, distributed with the same ease as contraceptives, really act as abortifacients in the very early stages of the development of the life of the new human being." (Evangelium Vitae, n. 13.)
That quote has nothing to do with whether or not oral contraceptives cause abortions. It is a known fact that intrauterine devices can cause failed implantation of a zygote. Oral contraceptives do not work the same way and there is no evidence that they cause abortions.
Old May 6, '12, 1:16 pm

Quote:
CCC: "Legitimate intentions on the part of the spouses do not justify recourse to morally unacceptable means (for example, direct sterilization or contraception)." (CCC 2399)
You do not understand this quote.

Please see below for a definitive answer.

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=15756
Old May 6, '12, 1:23 pm

Quote:
The article you cite agrees exactly with what I wrote above. No use of contraception or abortifacient contraception for women who are sexually active, even if they are married.

The article also quotes John Paul II:

"Contraception is to be judged objectively so profoundly illicit that it can never, for any reason, be justified. To think, or to say, anything to the contrary is tantamount to saying that in human life there can be situations where it is legitimate not to recognize God as God. Users of contraception attribute to themselves a power that belongs only to God, the power to decide in the final instance the coming into existence of a human being."

Pope John Paul II in his Address on Responsible Procreation, September 17, 1983. Quoted in "Holy Father Condemns Contraception in Strongest Terms." The Wanderer, September 29, 1983, pages 1 and 3.

All Catholics are required to give the full assent of faith to infallible teachings and the religious submission of will and intellect to non-infallible teachings. So often, esp. on the topic of contraception, one Catholic or another will say what they wish to believe, in contradiction to the teaching of the Church. This is simply not an acceptable position for a faithful Catholic. The Church does have the ability and the authority from God to teach truths on faith and morals.
Old May 6, '12, 1:27 pm

Quote:
You do not understand this quote.

Please see below for a definitive answer.

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=15756
The answer given by the Magisterium in the CCC is definitive. The post that you linked to, by an apologist, is not definitive; he expresses an opinion, while the CCC exercises the Magisterium.

See this explanation from the American Life League:
Old May 6, '12, 1:34 pm

Quote:
That quote has nothing to do with whether or not oral contraceptives cause abortions. It is a known fact that intrauterine devices can cause failed implantation of a zygote. Oral contraceptives do not work the same way and there is no evidence that they cause abortions.
The makers of oral contraceptives state in their own literature that their products sometimes work by preventing implantation. Here is a summary of the evidence that oral contraceptives sometimes work by preventing implantation:

http://www.epm.org/resources/2010/Fe...-pill-cause-a/
Old May 6, '12, 1:37 pm

Quote:
The answer given by the Magisterium in the CCC is definitive. The post that you linked to, by an apologist, is not definitive; he expresses an opinion, while the CCC exercises the Magisterium.

See this explanation from the American Life League:
The CCC states that contraception is never licit, which is true. However, hormonal medication that inhibits fertility, but it not used for a contraceptive effect, IS licit. A married woman who is using hormone treatment for, say, PCOS, does NOT need to abstain from intercourse with her husband just because the medication prevents her from ovulating. You need to remember that what some women use for contraception, others use for legitimate medical reasons.

Do you not understand the concept of "double effect?"

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology