Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 4, '12, 10:35 am
Banned

Religion: catholic
Default Leaving Early After communion........

how prevelant is leaving right after Communion at your church?
Does it irk you or are you one of those who leave early?
Old May 4, '12, 10:41 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Leaving Early After communion........

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateKimmer View Post
Depends on the Mass time. Sundays - no. Weekday morning Masses - a bit.

Quote:
No. I'm more concerned about my own personal failings.

I think in charity that the people who leave right after Communion need to go to their jobs, have appointments, or need to get to some other pressing business.

In the end, though, it's none of my business why people leave after Communion. If it becomes too big of an issue at my parish, I'm sure our pastor will address it.

Luna
Old May 4, '12, 10:45 am

Quote:
I sit in the front pew to avoid that kind of distractions. I do not want to waste my whole life getting mad at people, I already do plenty of that and it is very unsettling.
Old May 4, '12, 11:07 am

I do not see this in my parish thank God. Everybody stays for the procession on Sundays and during the week we say the St. Michael prayer as the priest leaves. I just listened to a Steve Ray talk where he mentioned he sometimes stands in the back of the church and says have a nice day Judas (Judas left early) to people that leave early...lol. Don't think I could or would do that but I imagine it probably puts an end to it (if no excuse) for awhile anyway.

Btw...that talk by Steve Ray was done at the 2011 Catholic Men's Conference. It is available here along with others. Excellent talks.

http://www.columbuscatholicmen.com/audio/audio.php
Old May 4, '12, 11:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc176 View Post
. I just listened to a Steve Ray talk where he mentioned he sometimes stands in the back of the church and says have a nice day Judas (Judas left early) to people that leave early...lol.

Unless this Steve Ray knows for cast-iron certain that the people leaving don't have a good reason to leave, he should not say any such thing, imo.
Old May 4, '12, 11:27 am

Religion: Catholic - Roman

It's pretty weak to leave early.

Why?

1st.....B/c God is residing in us. And we are forgetting to give our thanks after communion.

2nd...b/c we are forgetting to say our prayer to St. Michael the Archangel after Mass. As we all should.

Kind Regards,

James
Old May 4, '12, 11:27 am

I have been attending my parish for about five years. I can think of two occasions when I had to leave right after communion. I felt strange walking out before the Mass had ended, but my only other choice in those two circumstances would have been to miss Mass altogether. For a few, work or other obligations necessitates leaving prematurely. I do not think that is disrespectful to the Lord or to our priests; but for many who leave it is simply to avoid the traffic of other parishioners leaving at the same time. I think this goes on because of a general rudeness, a callousness that has so permeated our society and has begun to carry over into the Christian community. I think that is very disrespectful to the Lord, to our priests, and to fellow Christians. Since I don't notice too much of it, however, I can't say it makes me angry; but if I saw a great deal of it all the time, I think it would really irritate me.

Interestingly, on this subject, our parish has often provided doughnuts and coffee after Mass. Volunteers take turns preparing the goodies so that everything is ready to eat right after Mass. Once word of this kind service to our parish began to spread, you can probably guess what happened . . . Some parishioners were leaving Mass early and hitting the doughnut bar before the rest of the crowd arrived. I know . . . I know . . . unbelievable--but true! Thankfully, our pastor put a quick stop to that . . . I can only think of one thing to say in regard to these kinds of things, "Lord, have mercy on us all!"
Old May 4, '12, 11:33 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwight66 View Post
Unless this Steve Ray knows for cast-iron certain that the people leaving don't have a good reason to leave, he should not say any such thing, imo.
Agreed. In my younger days, I would have said he was being a pretty nasty 4 letter word relating to the male anatomy.

Good reason or no, that's a pretty self-righteous, not to mention passive-aggressive, move. Sure to win alot of hearts.

"While truth is unchanging, it changes those who encounter it." - Fr. Cedric Pisegna
Old May 4, '12, 11:34 am
Banned

lots of dine and dash at my parish, plus the old men think its a good time to go to the bathroom during the consecration.
Old May 4, '12, 11:45 am

Quote:
Regularly! Yep! Judas left Mass early and look at his fate?
Old May 4, '12, 11:45 am

Religion: Catholic Convert

Quote:
I just listened to a Steve Ray talk where he mentioned he sometimes stands in the back of the church and says have a nice day Judas (Judas left early) to people that leave early...lol. Don't think I could or would do that but I imagine it probably puts an end to it (if no excuse) for awhile anyway.
It may put an end to someone coming back to church. His comment to those leaving early is too passive/aggressive, snarky in my opinion.

When I return to my place I'm kneeling and praying. I've only noticed on one occasion that someone in my area left and that was b/c they had been sitting in front of me. The little girl, about 3, was adorable. During the Sign of Peace she held our her little hand to me and said, "peth be wit du." That child was such a blessing to me.

About 1/2 of the people in my church walk out during the closing hymn.
Old May 4, '12, 11:48 am

I agree that if you see someone leaving early you should most certainly not assume they are being disrespectful. As has been pointed out, there are many people in all different sorts of situations that may require them leaving early, even on a sunday, perhaps they need to get bakc to care for someone who is sick, or catch a plane, train. bus etc to a ___ (fill in any good christian charitable action, or anything required by law etc.) We have no idea what there situation is so we should not assume.

If it becomes evident that there actually is a problem of people leaving early due to a lack of respect (which needs actual evidence, since, as mentioned above there can be many legitimite reasons for leaving early) then it is something to talk to your parish priest about and it is time to pray for serenity and the ability to let go of those things you cannot change.
Old May 4, '12, 11:49 am

Quote:
I just listened to a Steve Ray talk where he mentioned he sometimes stands in the back of the church and says have a nice day Judas (Judas left early) to people that leave early...lol. Don't think I could or would do that but I imagine it probably puts an end to it (if no excuse) for awhile anyway.
That would put an end to it for me all right. If I saw someone parked at the back of the church calling people Judas as they left, I'd take it up with the pastor. If this individual were then allowed to continue with this activity, I'd go on the assumption this was parish approved behavior, and I'd move my family to another parish.

I have a hard enough time teaching kids manners; I don't need boorish behavior modeled for them in church.

Luna
Old May 4, '12, 11:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Lovecraft View Post
That would put an end to it for me all right. If I saw someone parked at the back of the church calling people Judas as they left, I'd take it up with the pastor. If this individual were then allowed to continue with this activity, I'd go on the assumption this was parish approved behavior, and I'd move my family to another parish.

I have a hard enough time teaching kids manners; I don't need boorish behavior modeled for them in church.

Luna
Old May 4, '12, 11:50 am

At my parish, my guess is about

5-10% leave right after communion

70-90% start leaving before the last hymn is finished

10-30% don't start leaving until the last hymn is finished (those who sing the hymns at all are only a subsection of these).

Note I'm actually among those who do not sing, though I do stay. I wish I could sing the hymns (softly), but because my singing sounds like a cross between a tortured frog and a drowning coyote, I don't feel comfortable singing unless everyone else is, so my voice will be drowned out in the crowd.
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weakness, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments