Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 7, '12, 6:37 am

Religion: Yes
Default Should a priest counsel in confession?

Sometimes a priest will speak to an issue after you confess your sins. He will advise you in how to avoid a certain sin. Some priests don't seem to have any desire to do this. They absolve you and you can tell thats the closure, nothing more to say. Is it a priests prerogative to either counsel or say nothing further after absolution? Are they instructed in a certain protocol ?

In a related issue I read St. Padre Pio refused to give absolution to certain penitents who would not refrain from a particular sin. Obviously it's not common (I don't think) but can it still happen?
Old May 7, '12, 6:40 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Should a priest counsel in confession?

A priest may do so at his discretion. It is his perrogative to do so, or not. In some cases it seems a good idea, in others not. Sometimes the number of penitents waiting is a factor. Either way, there is no requirement.
Old May 7, '12, 6:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjones View Post
Sometimes a priest will speak to an issue after you confess your sins. He will advise you in how to avoid a certain sin. Some priests don't seem to have any desire to do this. They absolve you and you can tell thats the closure, nothing more to say. Is it a priests prerogative to either counsel or say nothing further after absolution? Are they instructed in a certain protocol ?

In a related issue I read St. Padre Pio refused to give absolution to certain penitents who would not refrain from a particular sin. Obviously it's not common (I don't think) but can it still happen?
I find that a lot depends upon 1) the priest's individual style and 2) the way I do my confession. If I am with a priest who is less personable, less interactive, chances are good that I will get my penance and be absolved, period. But for example, Saturday I ended up with the priest who is very good at counseling. I told him it was my anniversary and gave him a little more information, and he did give me some good words of advice and counseling beyond the normal "go and sin no more."

Of course a priest can refuse absolution, if the person confessing does not repent and does not have contrition. What is the point if the person intends to keep sinning? In fact it insults God if someone does this, I believe it is called presumption.
Old May 7, '12, 6:59 am

Religion: Catholic

There's a difference between giving some counsel to a penitent and turning it into a counseling session. Some counsel good. Excessive counsel not so good. If you want a therapy session, make an appointment.
Old May 7, '12, 7:22 am

I would like to know the Reference on Padre Pio not giving absolution.

1. The confessional is secret so how would that come out

2. what if the person had an addiction? I for one confessed the same sin over and over and over again an the grace i received in those confessions chipped away at my addiction and helped me to move to where I am today.
Old May 7, '12, 7:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmas View Post

2. what if the person had an addiction? I for one confessed the same sin over and over and over again an the grace i received in those confessions chipped away at my addiction and helped me to move to where I am today.
But you WANTED to change. You were repentant for your addiction, correct? If someone comes in and confesses and is not repentant, then the priest may refuse absolution.
Old May 7, '12, 7:40 am

Religion: Latin Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo Gratias42 View Post
There's a difference between giving some counsel to a penitent and turning it into a counseling session. Some counsel good. Excessive counsel not so good. If you want a therapy session, make an appointment.
This. Spiritual direction is good, but not at a regularly scheduled confession in which case this inevitably holds up the line unnecessarily.

Deference to tradition should be taken for granted.
Devoted bibliophile.
Old May 7, '12, 7:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
But you WANTED to change. You were repentant for your addiction, correct? If someone comes in and confesses and is not repentant, then the priest may refuse absolution.

Yes, I did. But I also had a priest who told me in confession if I kept coming in time and again with the same sins that I would not be forgiven. I kept going despite what he said to me (which I though sounded a lot like Padre Pio's comment to a confessor) and today from those early confessions I am where I am at. How does a Priest know you know you are not repentent? How does the confessor not know that he or she is just going through the motions? Why bother if you did know that?
Old May 7, '12, 7:55 am

Quote:

Below is one link to the Padrio Pio question. I'm sure you can find much more if you search. In the link below the sin was abortion. I understand your plight with addiction as I have gone through the same thing.
http://thepathlesstaken7.blogspot.co...n-to-some.html
Old May 7, '12, 8:07 am

Religion: Fellowship contemplative prayer UK

All the priests I have gone to via Anglican Confession will give advice. May be not on every sin. But are willing to talk through sins. If I have wanted to focus on one sin/situation then I have tended to focus only on that sin/situation since we have it different to you guys it seems.
Old May 7, '12, 8:14 am
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

If the doctor just injects you with medicine but doesn't tell you how to avoid getting sick again, how does that really make you get better? You get healed now but get sick again really soon.
Old May 7, '12, 8:16 am

Religion: Agnostic
Send a message via Yahoo to Irishgal49

Quote:

I was thinking the same exact thing. I, too, have an addiction and sometimes I am running in and out of Confession like a revolving door, but if i don't I go on benders so it's best to get Confession and try really hard to avoid the sin, and I do--but sometimes it happens that I fall a couple times in a week. I would sure hate my Confessor to act that way with me.
Old May 7, '12, 12:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgal49 View Post
I was thinking the same exact thing. I, too, have an addiction and sometimes I am running in and out of Confession like a revolving door, but if i don't I go on benders so it's best to get Confession and try really hard to avoid the sin, and I do--but sometimes it happens that I fall a couple times in a week. I would sure hate my Confessor to act that way with me.
The link was posted above and further links can be found by a search. I lean towards St. Padre Pios wisdom.
Old May 7, '12, 12:34 pm

Quote:
Yes, I did. But I also had a priest who told me in confession if I kept coming in time and again with the same sins that I would not be forgiven. I kept going despite what he said to me (which I though sounded a lot like Padre Pio's comment to a confessor) and today from those early confessions I am where I am at. How does a Priest know you know you are not repentent? How does the confessor not know that he or she is just going through the motions? Why bother if you did know that?
I think the key word is "repentent" which means to turn away from. Don't get me wrong, I've been in the same boat as you and still often am. But, if the priest observes a continual sin that you have not turned from it is like saying I'll do my thing because I know i'll get forgiven at confession.
The case I read with Padre Pio had to do with abortion so the details should be looked into. As far as a priests not giving absolution to the penetent for other sins I don't know the answer as to how that works because God forgives all sins. Intent may be a factor.
Old May 7, '12, 12:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjones View Post
I think the key word is "repentent" which means to turn away from. Don't get me wrong, I've been in the same boat as you and still often am. But, if the priest observes a continual sin that you have not turned from it is like saying I'll do my thing because I know i'll get forgiven at confession.
The case I read with Padre Pio had to do with abortion so the details should be looked into. As far as a priests not giving absolution to the penetent for other sins I don't know the answer as to how that works because God forgives all sins. Intent may be a factor.
Padre Pio is a unique person, as he could read hearts.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments