Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old May 7, '12, 6:37 am
johnnyjones's Avatar
johnnyjones johnnyjones is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 11, 2011
Posts: 2,520
Religion: Yes
Default Should a priest counsel in confession?

Sometimes a priest will speak to an issue after you confess your sins. He will advise you in how to avoid a certain sin. Some priests don't seem to have any desire to do this. They absolve you and you can tell thats the closure, nothing more to say. Is it a priests prerogative to either counsel or say nothing further after absolution? Are they instructed in a certain protocol ?


In a related issue I read St. Padre Pio refused to give absolution to certain penitents who would not refrain from a particular sin. Obviously it's not common (I don't think) but can it still happen?
__________________
He stretched out the north over the empty space, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old May 7, '12, 6:40 am
Chatter163's Avatar
Chatter163 Chatter163 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 24, 2005
Posts: 3,358
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Should a priest counsel in confession?

A priest may do so at his discretion. It is his perrogative to do so, or not. In some cases it seems a good idea, in others not. Sometimes the number of penitents waiting is a factor. Either way, there is no requirement.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 7, '12, 6:49 am
TheRealJuliane TheRealJuliane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 11, 2010
Posts: 19,026
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Should a priest counsel in confession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjones View Post
Sometimes a priest will speak to an issue after you confess your sins. He will advise you in how to avoid a certain sin. Some priests don't seem to have any desire to do this. They absolve you and you can tell thats the closure, nothing more to say. Is it a priests prerogative to either counsel or say nothing further after absolution? Are they instructed in a certain protocol ?


In a related issue I read St. Padre Pio refused to give absolution to certain penitents who would not refrain from a particular sin. Obviously it's not common (I don't think) but can it still happen?
I find that a lot depends upon 1) the priest's individual style and 2) the way I do my confession. If I am with a priest who is less personable, less interactive, chances are good that I will get my penance and be absolved, period. But for example, Saturday I ended up with the priest who is very good at counseling. I told him it was my anniversary and gave him a little more information, and he did give me some good words of advice and counseling beyond the normal "go and sin no more."

Of course a priest can refuse absolution, if the person confessing does not repent and does not have contrition. What is the point if the person intends to keep sinning? In fact it insults God if someone does this, I believe it is called presumption.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 7, '12, 6:59 am
Deo Gratias42 Deo Gratias42 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 20, 2011
Posts: 2,281
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Should a priest counsel in confession?

There's a difference between giving some counsel to a penitent and turning it into a counseling session. Some counsel good. Excessive counsel not so good. If you want a therapy session, make an appointment.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 7, '12, 7:22 am
michaelmas michaelmas is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 11, 2011
Posts: 420
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Should a priest counsel in confession?

I would like to know the Reference on Padre Pio not giving absolution.

1. The confessional is secret so how would that come out

2. what if the person had an addiction? I for one confessed the same sin over and over and over again an the grace i received in those confessions chipped away at my addiction and helped me to move to where I am today.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 7, '12, 7:27 am
TheRealJuliane TheRealJuliane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 11, 2010
Posts: 19,026
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Should a priest counsel in confession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmas View Post
I would like to know the Reference on Padre Pio not giving absolution.

1. The confessional is secret so how would that come out

2. what if the person had an addiction? I for one confessed the same sin over and over and over again an the grace i received in those confessions chipped away at my addiction and helped me to move to where I am today.
But you WANTED to change. You were repentant for your addiction, correct? If someone comes in and confesses and is not repentant, then the priest may refuse absolution.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 7, '12, 7:40 am
YoungTradCath's Avatar
YoungTradCath YoungTradCath is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 2, 2011
Posts: 6,981
Religion: Latin Catholic
Default Re: Should a priest counsel in confession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo Gratias42 View Post
There's a difference between giving some counsel to a penitent and turning it into a counseling session. Some counsel good. Excessive counsel not so good. If you want a therapy session, make an appointment.
This. Spiritual direction is good, but not at a regularly scheduled confession in which case this inevitably holds up the line unnecessarily.
__________________

Deference to tradition should be taken for granted.
Devoted bibliophile.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 7, '12, 7:47 am
michaelmas michaelmas is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 11, 2011
Posts: 420
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Should a priest counsel in confession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
But you WANTED to change. You were repentant for your addiction, correct? If someone comes in and confesses and is not repentant, then the priest may refuse absolution.


Yes, I did. But I also had a priest who told me in confession if I kept coming in time and again with the same sins that I would not be forgiven. I kept going despite what he said to me (which I though sounded a lot like Padre Pio's comment to a confessor) and today from those early confessions I am where I am at. How does a Priest know you know you are not repentent? How does the confessor not know that he or she is just going through the motions? Why bother if you did know that?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old May 7, '12, 7:55 am
johnnyjones's Avatar
johnnyjones johnnyjones is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 11, 2011
Posts: 2,520
Religion: Yes
Default Re: Should a priest counsel in confession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmas View Post
I would like to know the Reference on Padre Pio not giving absolution.

1. The confessional is secret so how would that come out

2. what if the person had an addiction? I for one confessed the same sin over and over and over again an the grace i received in those confessions chipped away at my addiction and helped me to move to where I am today.
Below is one link to the Padrio Pio question. I'm sure you can find much more if you search. In the link below the sin was abortion. I understand your plight with addiction as I have gone through the same thing.
http://thepathlesstaken7.blogspot.co...n-to-some.html
__________________
He stretched out the north over the empty space, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old May 7, '12, 8:07 am
englishredrose's Avatar
englishredrose englishredrose is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 3, 2012
Posts: 1,669
Religion: Fellowship contemplative prayer UK
Default Re: Should a priest counsel in confession?

All the priests I have gone to via Anglican Confession will give advice. May be not on every sin. But are willing to talk through sins. If I have wanted to focus on one sin/situation then I have tended to focus only on that sin/situation since we have it different to you guys it seems.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old May 7, '12, 8:14 am
ConstantineTG ConstantineTG is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: August 5, 2010
Posts: 17,409
Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦
Default Re: Should a priest counsel in confession?

If the doctor just injects you with medicine but doesn't tell you how to avoid getting sick again, how does that really make you get better? You get healed now but get sick again really soon.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old May 7, '12, 8:16 am
Irishgal49's Avatar
Irishgal49 Irishgal49 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 21, 2011
Posts: 1,400
Religion: Agnostic
Send a message via Yahoo to Irishgal49
Default Re: Should a priest counsel in confession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmas View Post
I would like to know the Reference on Padre Pio not giving absolution.

1. The confessional is secret so how would that come out

2. what if the person had an addiction? I for one confessed the same sin over and over and over again an the grace i received in those confessions chipped away at my addiction and helped me to move to where I am today.
I was thinking the same exact thing. I, too, have an addiction and sometimes I am running in and out of Confession like a revolving door, but if i don't I go on benders so it's best to get Confession and try really hard to avoid the sin, and I do--but sometimes it happens that I fall a couple times in a week. I would sure hate my Confessor to act that way with me.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old May 7, '12, 12:19 pm
johnnyjones's Avatar
johnnyjones johnnyjones is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 11, 2011
Posts: 2,520
Religion: Yes
Default Re: Should a priest counsel in confession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgal49 View Post
I was thinking the same exact thing. I, too, have an addiction and sometimes I am running in and out of Confession like a revolving door, but if i don't I go on benders so it's best to get Confession and try really hard to avoid the sin, and I do--but sometimes it happens that I fall a couple times in a week. I would sure hate my Confessor to act that way with me.
The link was posted above and further links can be found by a search. I lean towards St. Padre Pios wisdom.
__________________
He stretched out the north over the empty space, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old May 7, '12, 12:34 pm
johnnyjones's Avatar
johnnyjones johnnyjones is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 11, 2011
Posts: 2,520
Religion: Yes
Default Re: Should a priest counsel in confession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmas View Post
Yes, I did. But I also had a priest who told me in confession if I kept coming in time and again with the same sins that I would not be forgiven. I kept going despite what he said to me (which I though sounded a lot like Padre Pio's comment to a confessor) and today from those early confessions I am where I am at. How does a Priest know you know you are not repentent? How does the confessor not know that he or she is just going through the motions? Why bother if you did know that?
I think the key word is "repentent" which means to turn away from. Don't get me wrong, I've been in the same boat as you and still often am. But, if the priest observes a continual sin that you have not turned from it is like saying I'll do my thing because I know i'll get forgiven at confession.
The case I read with Padre Pio had to do with abortion so the details should be looked into. As far as a priests not giving absolution to the penetent for other sins I don't know the answer as to how that works because God forgives all sins. Intent may be a factor.
__________________
He stretched out the north over the empty space, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old May 7, '12, 12:45 pm
Deo Gratias42 Deo Gratias42 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 20, 2011
Posts: 2,281
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Should a priest counsel in confession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjones View Post
I think the key word is "repentent" which means to turn away from. Don't get me wrong, I've been in the same boat as you and still often am. But, if the priest observes a continual sin that you have not turned from it is like saying I'll do my thing because I know i'll get forgiven at confession.
The case I read with Padre Pio had to do with abortion so the details should be looked into. As far as a priests not giving absolution to the penetent for other sins I don't know the answer as to how that works because God forgives all sins. Intent may be a factor.
Padre Pio is a unique person, as he could read hearts.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8458Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5143CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4424Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3863SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3738Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3321Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3284Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3224Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3110For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 6:25 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.