Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 8, '12, 9:35 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default What do you guys think about this article

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...-s-health.html

I understand the church's stand on contraception as I myself don't believe life should be stopped. I believe that life starts at conception and that we should not hinder life in any way. I just want to hear what people have to say about this particular scenario. In Africa there is a lot of poverty, many girls are forced to have sex and many other things including getting pregnant when they can't afford it. I believe that the lord provides but I am just talking about it specifically about the use of contraceptives in a place like this.

Does Melinda gates have any justification for her stand? Does she have any merit or right in her believe that contraceptives when it comes to Africa is more acceptable. In a country like America it's easier to raise a kid even in poverty, and for that same reason their shouldn't be as much need for anyone to use contraceptives. We also have more rights and services to raise a kid. But what about a country like Africa where poverty is everywhere and they don't have rights like us to raise a kid?

I would like to hear everyone's suggestions.
Old May 11, '12, 12:28 pm

Religion: Catholic - Roman
Default Re: What do you guys think about this article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Ortiz View Post

I understand the church's stand on contraception as I myself don't believe life should be stopped. I believe that life starts at conception and that we should not hinder life in any way. I just want to hear what people have to say about this particular scenario. In Africa there is a lot of poverty, many girls are forced to have sex and many other things including getting pregnant when they can't afford it. I believe that the lord provides but I am just talking about it specifically about the use of contraceptives in a place like this.

Does Melinda gates have any justification for her stand? Does she have any merit or right in her believe that contraceptives when it comes to Africa is more acceptable. In a country like America it's easier to raise a kid even in poverty, and for that same reason their shouldn't be as much need for anyone to use contraceptives. We also have more rights and services to raise a kid. But what about a country like Africa where poverty is everywhere and they don't have rights like us to raise a kid?

I must praise Melina Gates for her effort and willingness to do some good. She is likely doing the best she can from her state of consciousness. However, she does not seem to be active in conforming her conscious to anything but her own perception of truth.

Contraception is an intrinsic evil. This means no intention or circumstance can "make it okay" to participate in an intrinsic evil.

Africa is a broad name to describe over 30 countries. So the geographic scope is wide. This makes it difficult to discuss the particular issues you addressed.

Rape: If a child is getting raped, the attackers first step of responsibility would be to use a contraceptive such as a condom. This is not to state either is morally correct. But rather a first step.

Overall, I think the hidden agenda of Melina Gates is to address what she preceives as overpopulation. The Population Reference Bureau is known for it's Pro-Contraception teachings. The population explosion in Africa is due to the continent entering a population transition phase, not a never-ending population increase.

My opinion: The West is rarely on the moral high ground and we need to focus our attention on our culture of death rather than altering Africas poulation transition phase.
Old May 16, '12, 11:44 am
Observing Member

Religion: Pentecostal

My opinions on the basics of the article

In l Corinthians 7:5, Paul tells us how to practice contraception. The Catholic
Church's old book on the Rhythum Method was great for me in our Marriage.
Actually, the little abstinence should add more exciting anticipation to a
Marriage, as it did for us.

We cannot expect to easily go into any country and change the ways of
social behavior overnight. This has been their way of life and women are in
subjective roles in these societies. Direct nutrional and medical help along
with education and time are the best ways to be of help with a heart of Christ
approach from Christians who go there.

Let's face it, America is no shining example of Godliness, having murdered over
40 million babies, and a society that is more perverse than most and ever before.

We all have an inherent creative purpose. Genesis 4:6 God is taking Cain to
task over the murder of Abel and God says: "What hast thou done? The voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground" Abortions are an issue of the blood!
The future generations that God had preplanned in the Genetic trail within the DNA
are in the blood--"the life's blood" It is holy to Him. The Blood is the whole Issue
with Him because of His plans for mankind from the beginning.

We are seen as the Big Satan throughout the world, and the deeds here have
caused it. We, first, need to practice more at home what we try to preach to others,
Pluck that mote out of our own eye first as Jesus said. All Christians need to stand
up in America and bring her back to established roots of the faith. It is idiosy to
call ourselves Christians and live as the rest of the world. We are to be in the
world but not of it as salt and light in the darkness.

Thanks for the chance to comment. God Bless America and you all!

CNight42
In Christ, Jesus
Old May 16, '12, 1:07 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Ortiz View Post

The article did not mention young girls or girls being raped. The only specifics they offered were that married women, whose husbands did not know they were using abc were having a difficult time getting it.

WRT young women being raped--I have heard about this: a couple of articles in which it was stated that young girls should be put on abc because they might be raped.

My jaw is still dropping. I am sorry, this makes no sense. If anyone is being raped, the solution is not to give them abc but to protect them from being raped!!!!

Quote:
Does Melinda gates have any justification for her stand?
She has no justification for her stand. She seems to want to move people who are already poor into a demographic problem where there will be lots of elderly people and no one to care for them, just like so many other places in the world.

Quote:
Does she have any merit or right in her believe that contraceptives when it comes to Africa is more acceptable.
The people in Africa are just as worthy of respect and have just as much dignity as anyone else in the world. ABC in Africa is just as reprehensible as abc in the US or Europe.

Much as I hate to say it, the work done in the 1900s for pushing abc onto poor nations like those of Africa really had a very eugenic tinge to them. At the same time, our governement here in the US was paying to sterilize poor, often black, people, often without their knowledge.

Quote:
In a country like America it's easier to raise a kid even in poverty, and for that same reason their shouldn't be as much need for anyone to use contraceptives. We also have more rights and services to raise a kid. But what about a country like Africa where poverty is everywhere and they don't have rights like us to raise a kid?
People in Africa used to raise lots of children with little problem (except for wars and stuff like that). So what happened? People moved into the cities, and now they do not know how to support themselves on the land anymore. They used to grow things and hunt, and no this generation lacks that knowledge of how to feed themselves.

And then when someone tries to get a business going, like a dairy business, USAID comes in with lots of free dried milk and runs them out of business. (Seriously)

Quote:
The US should get out of the UN and both the UN and the US should get out of other people's business. It's one thing to help a nation which wants help, it's another entirely to force them to accept abc in order for the US to help them out.

"The Church is intolerant in principle because she believes; she is tolerant in practice because she loves. The enemies of the Church are tolerant in principle because they do not believe; they are intolerant in practice because they do not love."
-Rev. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange O.P

Old May 25, '12, 11:15 am
Account Under Review

900,000 square foot "charity" headquarters?!?! 1% interest on the 36 billion in the Gates Foundation yields 36 million per annum. What would you do with that cash in Africa versus using it to raise money from other de facto racist entities who want to exterminate "white man's burden"? I would buy land and deed it to women's collectives. Let these women chose their own destiny with their own cash. They might want to invest in their children's education, not children's eradication.

Seattle was financed with pioneer taxes on pioneer prostitution. Mindset isn't there for helping women creatively. May the Most High God reduce the Gates to the seventh level of computerized Microsoftism. Buy Apple.

Last edited by Matilda Bennett; May 26, '12 at 7:47 am.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice