Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 10, '12, 11:24 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Byzantine "Liturgy of the Hours"

Is there a Byzantine equivalent of the RC "Divine Office" which includes things like morning prayer, office of the readings, etc?
Old May 10, '12, 12:07 pm

Default Re: Byzantine "Liturgy of the Hours"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rciadan View Post
Is there a Byzantine equivalent of the RC "Divine Office" which includes things like morning prayer, office of the readings, etc?
Yes, but the hours are more often prayed communally. Vespers services seem to be especially common. I'm sure our Eastern brothers can give more specifics.
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weakness, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
Old May 10, '12, 1:20 pm

Religion: Melkite Greek Catholic Christian

The Byzantine Liturgy of the Hours is called the Horologion. Check here for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horologion and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonic...Orthodox_usage

There are services led by a priest: http://www.saintjonah.org/services/f...horologion.htm

There is what is called a Reader Service for when no priest is available: http://www.saintjonah.org/services/horologion.htm
“This is the Faith of the Apostles, this is the Faith of the Fathers, this is the Faith of the Orthodox, this is the Faith which has established the Universe.” - From the First Sunday of Great Lent of the Byzantine Rite
Old May 10, '12, 1:59 pm

The problem in comparing the Byzantine and Roman Liturgy of the Hours is that the "Breviary" in the Roman tradition has evolved into something more akin to a private prayerbook. This is understandable since mendicant clergy needed to be able to pray the hours while they were traveling. In the Byzantine tradition, however, the Hours have always maintained the element of being the public worship of the entire Church, not just the prayer of the clergy and religious. For this reason we've never really developed an handy breviary that can go with us wherever we go. Instead, in order to celebrate the Hours in the Byzantine tradition, you need a small library of books:

Horologion
Octoechos
Menaion
Triodion
Pentecostarion
etc., etc., etc.

Each of those, with the exception of the Horologion, is a multi-volume set unto itself.

So the short answer is, yes, the Byzantines celebrate the Liturgy of the Hours. But Nno, we do not celebrate them privately.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me.

Old May 10, '12, 4:41 pm

Religion: Catholic: Russian Greek Catholic, & Latin Church catechist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Rolfes View Post
...in order to celebrate the Hours in the Byzantine tradition, you need a small library of books:

Horologion
Octoechos
Menaion
Triodion
Pentecostarion
etc., etc., etc.

Each of those, with the exception of the Horologion, is a multi-volume set unto itself.
For this reason Eastern Christian Publications recently began a by subscription electronic form of the Byzantine Daily Office. I haven't used it but Jack Figel/ecpubs does great work so I expect this is well done.

As others have said chanting the Hours alone isn't normally an Eastern practice.
There is at least one current thread here in the EC section discussing prayer books used for personal prayers.
Old May 10, '12, 5:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Loaves View Post
For this reason Eastern Christian Publications recently began a by subscription electronic form of the Byzantine Daily Office. I haven't used it but Jack Figel/ecpubs does great work so I expect this is well done.

As others have said chanting the Hours alone isn't normally an Eastern practice.
There is at least one current thread here in the EC section discussing prayer books used for personal prayers.
The electronic Horologion that Jack has produced is good. He doesn't include Orthros/Matins or Vespers because those can't really be prayed privately. So he provides the standard Morning and Evening prayers along with the Lesser Hours. But if you want to pray those all you really need is the Melkite Horologion, which contains everything you need for the Lesser Hours, and a good prayerbook containing the standard morning and evening prayers.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism