Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 14, '12, 10:03 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Question Female orgasm; within marriage?

Hey everyone.

My wife and I have been happily married for almost half a year and we were just wondering whether or not it is okay for her to have an orgasm outside of intercouse by, e.g. caressing of the genitals and so forth?

If anything needs further explanation please feel free to ask!
Old May 14, '12, 10:43 am
Banned

Religion: Laid back trad
Default Re: Female orgasm; within marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas and Sam View Post
Hey everyone.

My wife and I have been happily married for almost half a year and we were just wondering whether or not it is okay for her to have an orgasm outside of intercouse by, e.g. caressing of the genitals and so forth?

If anything needs further explanation please feel free to ask!
Unfortuneately...what is bad for the gander is also bad for the goose in this case.

During foreplay/marital embrace..YES! Outside of that...NO. Marital embrace must be included somewhere in the mix either before or during the embrace. Not sure about aftwerwards...I hope so, as we don't always have perfect syncronization. Hope this helps.
Old May 14, '12, 12:14 pm

Thank you, that pretty much answers my question!
Old May 14, '12, 12:55 pm

Religion: Catholic (Knight in the 3rd Degree)

Any sexual contact has to be made with the intention of having valid intercourse where the man finishes inside the woman. So, any stimulation of either person's genitals that does not lead to the man's seed being deposited in the womb (of course not counting those with fertility issues) isn't following the rules.
Old May 14, '12, 1:03 pm

Thank you mccrow! - That makes complete sense, and we have been doing so too, we just wanted to make sure!
Old May 14, '12, 1:06 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

But it needs to be added that, if actual intercourse is achieved with the man's sperm being deposited within the woman, and if the woman has not, um, "finished", then there is no moral wrong in being led to orgasm by her husband or even by herself, as part of the overall act.
Old May 14, '12, 1:27 pm
Book Club Member

Orgasm in a woman serves a different function than in men and can be achieved multiple times. In fact, the chance for successful implantation of a fertilized egg is enhanced by the health of the womb which is kept in good condition by adequate blood supply and muscle tone. Orgasm in women causes greatly increased circulation in the pelvic area and keeps those vital organs healthy, including fallopian tubes and ovaries.

The more orgasms for women the better for the marital closeness and fertility for the couple. Men's orgasm are different as they only have the purpose of delivering sperm and need to not be wasted outside the vagina. There is no moral impediment to multiple female orgasm in the marital act whenever she has them.
Old May 14, '12, 1:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
But it needs to be added that, if actual intercourse is achieved with the man's sperm being deposited within the woman, and if the woman has not, um, "finished", then there is no moral wrong in being led to orgasm by her husband or even by herself, as part of the overall act.
I'm not so sure of that.

Any stimulation on your own is masturbation. Doing it at the end after husband has finished even with him doing the stimulation might not even be a good idea. This is why it's probably a better idea to take care of the wife in a way that both can climax during intercorse or for her to finish first.

Remember the whole idea of the act (from a physical sense) is to build up to the possible pregnancy and more than likely anything after that possibility is probably outside that scope.
Old May 14, '12, 2:01 pm
Banned

Orgasmic contractions draw deposited sperm up into the uterus. So if you're only thinking about increasing odds for pregnancy, you'd want the woman to climax after the man. Pretty sure self-stimulation would always be considered a no-no, but I see no reason a man can't help his wife "get there" if she didn't climax during intercourse. Besides, how long do you see goodwill between spouses lasting if he constantly "leaves her hanging" and tries to justify that as Church teaching?

I can't think of anything better-designed to make a wife see her husband as selfish and inconsiderate.
Old May 14, '12, 2:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacarandaPurple View Post
Orgasmic contractions draw deposited sperm up into the uterus. So if you're only thinking about increasing odds for pregnancy, you'd want the woman to climax after the man. Pretty sure self-stimulation would always be considered a no-no, but I see no reason a man can't help his wife "get there" if she didn't climax during intercourse. Besides, how long do you see goodwill between spouses lasting if he constantly "leaves her hanging" and tries to justify that as Church teaching?
I'm not saying it's wrong but it seems to be in the gray area to me and also why I mentioned that couples need to work things out so she either finishes first or both at the same time.

My point is fondling without potential of a pregnancy is wrong (without eventually resulting in intercourse), then why would it be OK afterword when you are not working toward a possible pregnancy? Seems like the situations would be the same, neither is being done to complete the union for reproductive aspect. I know there is more to the marital act than that but it would seem on the fringe to me.
Old May 14, '12, 2:16 pm
Banned

How are you not working toward a potential pregnancy if you are facilitating the entry of more sperm into the uterus?

This is just basic biology. Especially when the woman is on her back, orgasmic contractions cause her cervix to dip down, repeatedly, into the pool if semen deposited by her husband.
Old May 14, '12, 2:23 pm

Quote:
How are you not working toward a potential pregnancy if you are facilitating the entry of more sperm into the uterus?

This is just basic biology. Especially when the woman is on her back, orgasmic contractions cause her cervix to dip down, repeatedly, into the pool if semen deposited by her husband.
Still seems to be on the fringe to me. Unless you have something scientific to show a significant increase in pregnancy rate, I'm not sure it's believeable. I'm not going to go into too graphic detail but the idea of stimulating a woman after the man is done also presents potential problems with concieving.
Old May 14, '12, 2:34 pm
Banned

Uh, how?
Old May 14, '12, 2:37 pm

Quote:
Uh, how?
Well, certain stimulation can cause some seed to not be in the right place anymore......as delicately as I can say.
Old May 14, '12, 2:43 pm
Banned

From http://m.psychologytoday.com/article...he-orgasm-wars

They discovered that when a woman climaxes any time between a minute before to 45 minutes after her lover ejaculates, she retains significantly more sperm than she does after nonorgasmic sex. When her orgasm precedes her male's by more than a minute, or when she does not have an orgasm, little sperm is retained. Just as the doctors' letters suggested decades earlier, the team's results indicated that muscular contractions associated with orgasm pull sperm from the vagina to the cervix, where it's in better position to reach an egg.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology