Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 15, '12, 1:12 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Obama Mandate Forces First Catholic College to Drop Insurance

Regardless of faith considerations, the provisions of ObamaCare will send premiums through the roof. It will be cheaper for businesses to pay the penalty for not offering coverage and let the government cover those people. Make no mistake, this law is a direct road to our version of a national health service. And we've seen how well that works in England and Canada. Speaking of which, where will the Canadians go now, since our waiting periods will likely be just as long as theirs now, or longer?

SCOTUS save us!
Old May 15, '12, 1:31 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian Latin Rite
Send a message via AIM to qui est ce

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilliam View Post
H

Additionally, the PPACA increased the mandated maximum coverage amount for student policies to $100,000 for the 2012-13 school year, which would effectively double your premium cost for the policy in fall 2012, with the expectation of further increases in the future.
Those who have been pointing this out have been called alarmists.
Old May 15, '12, 1:31 pm

Religion: Episcopal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilliam View Post
Franciscan University appears to be the first casualty of the new Obama HHS mandate that requires Catholic colleges, groups and businesses to pay for drugs that may cause abortions and birth control for their employees.

Although President Barack Obama declared “If you like your health care coverage you can keep it,” when it came to passing Obamacare, a Catholic college in Ohio has determined it will no longer offer a student health insurance plan.

“The Obama Administration has mandated that all health insurance plans must cover “women’s health services” including contraception, sterilization, and abortion-causing medications as part of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA),” the university says in a new post on its website. “Up to this time, Franciscan University has specifically excluded these services and products from its student health insurance policy, and we will not participate in a plan that requires us to violate the consistent teachings of the Catholic Church on the sacredness of human life.”

http://www.lifenews.com/2012/05/15/o...rop-insurance/
I applaud Franciscan University for standing up for what it believes in. I'm sure those who lost their insurance can purchase it on the outside agencies so they can continue to be covered for medical.

Proud Independent Since 1973
Old May 15, '12, 4:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
I applaud Franciscan University for standing up for what it believes in. I'm sure those who lost their insurance can purchase it on the outside agencies so they can continue to be covered for medical.
Full time students? How do you figure? I doubt they can get coverage at all. Their health care is now basically find a free clinic or die.

Quote:
"We encourage you to decide how you are going to provide for accidents or illnesses requiring visits to physicians, health clinics, or the hospital emergency room while you are a student here," the announcement said.
Sure, cause it's that easy right?

I don't know how much insurance costs where this college is, but here I couldn't get a solo plan for less than $800 a month.
Old May 15, '12, 8:27 pm
Banned

Religion: Yours

That's odd, the company they had been working with still offers coverage that excludes birth control.
http://www.lewermark.com/lewermark-d...an-exclusions/

The college's 2011 insurance brochure
Old May 15, '12, 8:51 pm

Religion: Episcopal

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeritasLuxMea View Post
Full time students? How do you figure? I doubt they can get coverage at all. Their health care is now basically find a free clinic or die.

I don't know how much insurance costs where this college is, but here I couldn't get a solo plan for less than $800 a month.
Most students could get catastrophic insurance for a little over $100 per month though insurance companies. That would cover anything major such as heart attack, stroke, etc.

Other issues could be handled through free health clinics, etc. of which I am sure there are nearby, especially when you have a large University in the area.

Proud Independent Since 1973
Old May 15, '12, 9:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeritasLuxMea View Post

Agreed. This is a risky move on the part of the school. If I didn't have insurance through my parents and went to this college, I think I would consider a transfer. To me, this would say that the school doesn't care if I have a real medical issue. What about something simple like getting antibiotics? It could become unnecessarily difficult for students.
Old May 15, '12, 9:56 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et Cetera View Post
Agreed. This is a risky move on the part of the school. If I didn't have insurance through my parents and went to this college, I think I would consider a transfer. To me, this would say that the school doesn't care if I have a real medical issue. What about something simple like getting antibiotics? It could become unnecessarily difficult for students.
It's the government that doesn't care, since they are forcing institutions to do this through the mandate. If the University loses students and closes, the anti-religious elements in the Democratic Party will only be that much happier.
Old May 15, '12, 10:00 pm

Well, the university is a business too, so if people don't like the business they don't have to patronize it.
Old May 15, '12, 10:09 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et Cetera View Post
Well, the university is a business too, so if people don't like the business they don't have to patronize it.
Indeed. But, they are being forced by the government to provide insurance that contradicts their faith. That is hardly a "free" market. As I said, the anti-religious elements in the Democratic Party will cheer when they have successfully brought about the closure of such institutions. Some Catholics will join them in their cheers, apparently.
Old May 16, '12, 12:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by vz71 View Post
Still waiting for the court of public opinion here.

Will John Q Public see the HHS mandates as the problem or will john Q Public see the college as being overly dramatic and unwilling to compromise.
I am afraid the public will see the college as over dramatic, initially anyway. I just got off of Facebook reading a 75 comment argument about the HHS issue. A Catholic friend of mine posted an article dealing with some of these issues and faced a barrage of attacks calling him a religious extremist and ignorant...

This issue isn't going away anytime soon. (assuming a certain someone gets re-elected )

Check out Vericast- "The hardest hitting Catholic podcast on or off the Internet."
Old May 16, '12, 3:14 am
Banned

The reason why they didn't drop (yet) coverage for faculty and staff members, could be this: faculty and staff policies usually come up for renewal around November, i.e. employees will enroll in November for the new policy that starts next January 1st and covers the next calendar year.
Old May 16, '12, 3:38 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacarandaPurple View Post
Regardless of faith considerations, the provisions of ObamaCare will send premiums through the roof. It will be cheaper for businesses to pay the penalty for not offering coverage and let the government cover those people. Make no mistake, this law is a direct road to our version of a national health service.
These 2 details guarantee that prices will go through the roof:

1. the whole range of FDA-approved contraceptives must be provided per HHS mandate;
2. everything must be provided with zero $ copayment, per HHS mandate.

I really wondered - are Sebelius and Obama too stupid to see that prices will go through the roof, since people will transition to using the more expensive contraceptives out there? But maybe you are exactly right. Sebelius and Obama probably know exactly that prices will go through the roof, and maybe this is exactly what they want. When prices go through the roof, employers will choose to discontinue providing health insurance, and they will rather pay the fine. Then, people will have no choice but go and buy the government-provided health insurance. And this is exactly what Obama and Sebelius want to achieve: herd everybody over to the government-provided health insurance. This is how they will achieve "single payer" or "nationalized" health service for an ever increasing proportion of the population.
Old May 16, '12, 3:57 am
Account Under Review

Franciscan University/Steubenville cutting off insurance in compliance with Obamacare is madness. There is nothing better this side of Heaven than insurance, shared risk, and going down without a fight--and forfeiting any standing in a lawsuit against Obamacare--is a dangerous retreat from sanity. To not adopt the Christian Care MediShare is an option not adopted. Why this passivity? Good men doing nothing lets evil flourish. May God grant us the guts to find a creative solution to this fascism (defined as the interlinking of private business and government at the expense of we the people).
Old May 17, '12, 10:16 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic. Gender: Female

Second Catholic College May Drop Health Care Over Obamacare Mandate
Quote:
A second Catholic college is looking at dropping its health care package for students in the wake of the mandate the Obama administration put in place that requires religious and pro-life groups to pay for birth control and drugs that may cause abortions.

Ave Maria University President James Towey told FoxNews, “We’re studying it right now. My own sense is, I don’t see … how it makes sense for us to stay in this.”
University officials plan to meet Monday to discuss their insurance options and potentially make a decision.

Towey said the school’s insurance provider told them that students would be looking at a premium increase ranging from 65 to 82 percent in the coming year if no changes are made.

“At a minimum, we’ve got to communicate to students on why they’re going to see a huge spike in insurance,” Towey said. He added, though, “we just might get out of this business.”

The expected premium increases apparently stem from a requirement in the health care law to restrict annual limits on insurance policies. The change for student plans is expected to be phased in, but the first stage will still require coverage limits to be at least $100,000 – a number that would rise sharply from there in the coming years. The reason this change could affect colleges dramatically is that some schools don’t exactly offer comprehensive insurance coverage. So new coverage requirements — as seen with Franciscan and now Ave Maria — can cause a big jump in premiums.

Towey noted that a lot of students are covered by their parents’ plans, but not all. “Parents who don’t have a health plan — then these students are out there,” he said.
http://www.lifenews.com/2012/05/17/s...macare-mandate

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News