Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 1, '12, 8:04 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite
Default Re: Wicca: Just how dangerous is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
This balderdash that Wicca is not witchcraft is ridiculous. They are the SAME THING. Wicca is the "religion" that was invented to make witchcraft seem legitimate. There is nothing else, all Wiccans are witches and warlocks and if they don't cast spells, then they are pagans only.

I agree!

Please God, continue to bless our relationship, that we may bring each other closer to You through Christ, our Lord, in the unity of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Old Jun 2, '12, 1:49 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

Personally I feel that Wicca is a very dangerous religion as are all Neopagan religions. They delve into the Occult and of course the Occult is very spiritually dangerous. I wouldn't doubt it if people have become possessed by practicing Wicca and other forms of the Occult.

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Jun 2, '12, 4:45 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
Personally I feel that Wicca is a very dangerous religion as are all Neopagan religions. They delve into the Occult and of course the Occult is very spiritually dangerous. I wouldn't doubt it if people have become possessed by practicing Wicca and other forms of the Occult.
I'm of the same opinion.

"Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen." St. Gertrude
Old Jun 2, '12, 8:46 am

Religion: Catholic - Roman rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_7 View Post
How can you not go against God and at the same time be a Wiccan? Doesn't make sense to me. How can you be a Wiccan without going against God? I believe that a person who practices Wicca is not in God. There's no way a person can be a Wiccan and not going against Our Lord! NOT ok.
My point exactly.

...And so I take my sister E_7 NOT for any lustful motive, but I do it in singleness of heart. Be kind enough to have pity on her and on me and bring us to old age together.
Old Jun 3, '12, 1:10 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patavium View Post
So other religions give power to the user to conjure spells as if this person has any real power? How is this a form of prayer? You casting spells and curses to get whatever your heart wishes.. How is this similar to praying to God for guidance, and to accept His Will?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeydogg View Post
The Bible teaches quite clearly that witchcraft is real and powerful. To say otherwise is to flatly contradict Scripture.
Put these two statements together and I'm afraid I must disagree heavily with the underlying essence underneath with regards to the power of 'spells'.

And forgive me, I really can't help laughing at such notions. To demonstrate, let me answer another person's question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinSeed View Post
Do you guys believe its possible to cast spells & curses?
Depends on your definition of 'spells and curses'.

Given our modern context, the meanings come in a wide variety. And with regards to that, this is why I find making Wiccan to be so 'real and powerful' a logically suspect idea.

Here's why.

You call this power?

No. Just. No.

THIS is power!

There's no doubt about it.

Wiccan 'spellcraft' is nigh overrated. >B)

New blog

Our magic is not absolute. True magic results from courage of the heart.
- Negi Springfield (Mahou Sensei Negima)
Old Jun 3, '12, 10:32 am

Religion: Catholic - Roman rite

Lostwonderer,

It is not that Wiccans will be casting spells (highly doubtful). It is that they open themselves to spiritual forces out of their control.

...And so I take my sister E_7 NOT for any lustful motive, but I do it in singleness of heart. Be kind enough to have pity on her and on me and bring us to old age together.
Old Jun 3, '12, 1:53 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Lostwonderer,

It is not that Wiccans will be casting spells (highly doubtful). It is that they open themselves to spiritual forces out of their control.
That is still not under the definition of 'powerful'.

You want to attribute power to them, ask them to take down an U.S. carrier. WoW-style. Then we'll talk.

New blog

Our magic is not absolute. True magic results from courage of the heart.
- Negi Springfield (Mahou Sensei Negima)
Old Jun 3, '12, 2:26 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian (seeking admission to the Catholic Church)

Quote:
"Wicca" is not in the bible. Magic is, Witchcraft is, Divination is, Witch is, and so on...

You yourself cannot tell me with 100% certainty that is not a continuation of Witchcraft.
So now any contention being made has to come with 100% certainty? Why the sudden raising of the stakes?

We don't know for sure what the "witchcraft" in the Bible was--there are a number of words for various kinds of nefarious magic practices, and scholars don't know in many cases with even approximate certainty what they refer to. From the story of Saul and the "witch of Endor" we know that one kind of condemned magic practitioners (at least) called up the spirits of the dead in order to learn information from them.

It might be worth noting that many fundamentalist Protestants think that what Catholics are doing in venerating saints is essentially the same thing, and while I agree this is nonsense, I'm not sure that the continuities many folks want to make between Biblical "witchcraft" and neo-pagan practices are much more solidly established.

In short, shouldn't the folks who want to condemn neopagans based on Biblical texts be the ones who have to shoulder the burden of uncertainty? If you are the one making pronouncements with certainty, then you are the one who has to deal with the fact that 100% certainty is unavailable.

Edwin
Old Jun 3, '12, 2:29 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
This balderdash that Wicca is not witchcraft is ridiculous. They are the SAME THING. Wicca is the "religion" that was invented to make witchcraft seem legitimate.
How do you know this? On what do you base it?

Early Wiccans claimed that they were descendants of medieval/early modern "witchcraft." This connection has pretty widely been disproved and is now generally abandoned by well-informed, thoughtful Wiccans.

My interpretation of the evidence makes more sense of this fact than yours.

You choose to accept extremely implausible claims (along the lines of fundamentalist Baptist "trail of blood" propaganda) by Wiccan propagandists because they suit your purpose of condemning Wicca.

I choose to treat those claims as I treat similarly dubious claims of continuity by other traditions.

Edwin
Old Jun 3, '12, 2:29 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_7 View Post
I agree!
Why do you agree?
Old Jun 3, '12, 2:46 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarini View Post
How do you know this? On what do you base it?

Early Wiccans claimed that they were descendants of medieval/early modern "witchcraft." This connection has pretty widely been disproved and is now generally abandoned by well-informed, thoughtful Wiccans.

My interpretation of the evidence makes more sense of this fact than yours.

You choose to accept extremely implausible claims (along the lines of fundamentalist Baptist "trail of blood" propaganda) by Wiccan propagandists because they suit your purpose of condemning Wicca.

I choose to treat those claims as I treat similarly dubious claims of continuity by other traditions.

Edwin
I used to BE a witch.

Saw the whole "Wicca" stuff coming down the pike. There was some battling for primacy of terms, etc. But "Wicca" could be ruled a religion, and witchcraft was...well...Witchcraft. So Wicca became the religion, and witchcraft the activity that Wiccans undertook. Now it seems that witchcraft has been left behind, and everyone thinks Wicca is a religion after all.

Old Jun 3, '12, 3:01 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
I used to BE a witch.
Would you like me to give the word of ex-Catholics more weight than yours, when it comes to Catholicism?

If you wouldn't, then you can't expect me to give your word more weight than that of Wiccans and other neo-Pagans when it comes to understanding their beliefs and practices.

Clearly Wicca and neo-paganism are an extremely mixed bag of beliefs and practices--their refusal to draw doctrinal boundaries means that you have all kinds of things passing under their banner. But when it comes to formulating a Christian approach to people who identify as Wiccans, I'm afraid I'm going to give priority to the way these folks describe themselves.

In Christ,

Edwin
Old Jun 3, '12, 3:08 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarini View Post
Would you like me to give the word of ex-Catholics more weight than yours, when it comes to Catholicism?

If you wouldn't, then you can't expect me to give your word more weight than that of Wiccans and other neo-Pagans when it comes to understanding their beliefs and practices.

Clearly Wicca and neo-paganism are an extremely mixed bag of beliefs and practices--their refusal to draw doctrinal boundaries means that you have all kinds of things passing under their banner. But when it comes to formulating a Christian approach to people who identify as Wiccans, I'm afraid I'm going to give priority to the way these folks describe themselves.

In Christ,

Edwin
Whatever. Believe whatever you like. And whomever you wish to.
Old Jun 3, '12, 3:23 pm

I used to practice. Terribly dangerous. I've seen it with my own eyes.
Stay with God...the One True God.
Old Jun 3, '12, 3:26 pm

Religion: Catholic by way of Luther and the Cof E

Quote:
I used to BE a witch.

Saw the whole "Wicca" stuff coming down the pike. There was some battling for primacy of terms, etc. But "Wicca" could be ruled a religion, and witchcraft was...well...Witchcraft. So Wicca became the religion, and witchcraft the activity that Wiccans undertook. Now it seems that witchcraft has been left behind, and everyone thinks Wicca is a religion after all.

LOL typical re-branding smoke screen - well pointed out Juliane
I have read and listened to plenty of people ( friends and people who share their testimonies to warn people) who have either 'dabbled in' or been fully involved in the to occult , witchcraft etc to know it is anti- Christ and THAT is all I really am concerned about and is the reason any of it is dangerous.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions