Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 31, '12, 6:27 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default How to use Lourdes water to help a non-Catholic

I need advice. My stepmom (Dad married her after I was grown and out of the house, but she's been great to me and is Me-Maw to our sons) may have breast cancer. I am going to visit her next week. She is almost 92.

I have a fairly large container of Lourdes water, and I want to take it with me and use it for her.

However, she is a Baptist. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't roll with the idea of holy water. We don't discuss the particulars of Catholicism but as most of you know, most Baptists don't think we're even Christian and that we worship idols.

Is it wrong of me to add some of the water to her regular water that she takes her medication with, without telling her? Would that deactivate the miracle, to have the person not be aware of it, and not believe in it? I will have 9 days with her, which is at least 9 days of opportunity to expose her to the holy water.

What would you do?
Old May 31, '12, 6:39 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How to use Lourdes water to help a non-Catholic

I would ask her if she'd like you to use it on her. She might accept.

If not, pray for her and ask Our Lady of Lourdes to intercede for your step mother.

I'll pray for her as well, and I hope it's a false alarm and she is cancer free.

The Word became flesh, He lived among us, and we saw His glory, the glory that He has from the Father as only Son of the Father, full of grace and truth.
Old May 31, '12, 7:43 am

Thank you, Mary Gail. All prayers are appreciated!

So you wouldn't just slip some of the water into her regular water? I am pretty sure she will refuse to be blessed with it. Being that she's a Southern Baptist and all.

It's a great reminder to pray for her and ask Mary to intercede on her behalf, though. Thanks again.
Old May 31, '12, 8:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
Thank you, Mary Gail. All prayers are appreciated!

So you wouldn't just slip some of the water into her regular water? I am pretty sure she will refuse to be blessed with it. Being that she's a Southern Baptist and all.

It's a great reminder to pray for her and ask Mary to intercede on her behalf, though. Thanks again.
Nobody should be duped into receiving a blessing.

Ask her and give her some if she approves. If she does not approve then pray for her in a way that she understands and appreciates.

This is one of those "pearls before swine" occasions. If she doesn't want the water, giving it to her could cause more harm then good.
Old May 31, '12, 9:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmuestwin View Post
Nobody should be duped into receiving a blessing.

Ask her and give her some if she approves. If she does not approve then pray for her in a way that she understands and appreciates.

This is one of those "pearls before swine" occasions. If she doesn't want the water, giving it to her could cause more harm then good.
Ah. I wasn't thinking of it in that way. So it could actually *harm* her? How? It's healing water, could it really harm someone?

And, if she does say yes, would it be better for her to drink it, or for me to apply it to the affected area?
Old May 31, '12, 12:52 pm

Remember, although grace and miracles are obtained through God's use of physical substances, we are also taught that it is the prayer of the righteous person that is powerful and effective. Practicing deception isn't righteous. The Lourdes water itself only works miracles because of God's grace given to us as we intercede in faith and righteousness.
Your step mother has faith- maybe misguided and without the sacramental fullness that Catholics are blessed with. You are correct that most Baptists see Catholics as idolatrous, non-Christians. Going to her with a sacramental like the Lourdes water, will, in her mind confirm this. Go to her instead in prayer- and maybe use a free form prayer to God on her presence and reserve requests for saintly intercession of your use of the Rosary for private prayer for her. Focus on the elements of faith you have in common with her. Maybe she will begin to understand that we Catholics love Jesus too and this will lead to discussions that will help her begin to see the fullness of the faith.
Even of God chooses to heal her, the physical healing is temporal. Her spiritual healing is paramount. By being a loving Chrisitan, immersed in prayer and scripture in the nine days you are with her, you may lead her to a spiritual healing. Remembers, when the lame man was lowered through the roof, the first thing Jesus said was that his sins were forgiven.
Finally, nine days? Sounds like an amazing novena opportunity! Seek the guidance of a priest, but the Divine Mercy Chaplet as a novena has beautiful daily intentions for souls.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
Old May 31, '12, 1:04 pm

The basic theology of the sacramental is they help us if we truly have faith. Any use that goes beyond that is a step into superstition. Take a look at page 3 of the enclosed document, to me it is quite clear that the person must be united with the Church in order to co-operate with the sacramental and benefit from it. You also must remember that unless it has been blessed, that water from Lourdes is not Holy Water, neither is it a medicine or something supernatural, but Our Lady has granted special favors with its use.

Sacramentals
Old May 31, '12, 5:01 pm
Prayer Warrior

Perhaps you could tell her that "you know she may not believe what you believe, but would she mind if you blessed her with your holy water?" Tell her that it will make YOU feel better when you pray for her. Most likely, she will say she doesn't mind. I hope that you are able to have a very meaningful and lovely visit with her.
"Lord Jesus, in times of trial and temptation, be my strength and consolation. Teach me not to fear the darkness, but rather draw me to your light. For it can only be in darkness that you will become my light and in your light that I may bring the light of healing to all I meet." - George Maloney
Old May 31, '12, 5:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT Cross View Post
Remember, although grace and miracles are obtained through God's use of physical substances, we are also taught that it is the prayer of the righteous person that is powerful and effective. Practicing deception isn't righteous. The Lourdes water itself only works miracles because of God's grace given to us as we intercede in faith and righteousness.
Your step mother has faith- maybe misguided and without the sacramental fullness that Catholics are blessed with. You are correct that most Baptists see Catholics as idolatrous, non-Christians. Going to her with a sacramental like the Lourdes water, will, in her mind confirm this. Go to her instead in prayer- and maybe use a free form prayer to God on her presence and reserve requests for saintly intercession of your use of the Rosary for private prayer for her. Focus on the elements of faith you have in common with her. Maybe she will begin to understand that we Catholics love Jesus too and this will lead to discussions that will help her begin to see the fullness of the faith.
Even of God chooses to heal her, the physical healing is temporal. Her spiritual healing is paramount. By being a loving Chrisitan, immersed in prayer and scripture in the nine days you are with her, you may lead her to a spiritual healing. Remembers, when the lame man was lowered through the roof, the first thing Jesus said was that his sins were forgiven.
Finally, nine days? Sounds like an amazing novena opportunity! Seek the guidance of a priest, but the Divine Mercy Chaplet as a novena has beautiful daily intentions for souls.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
Thank you! That has been what I have done with her, never making a big issue of being Catholic, except I do go to Mass when I am there over a weekend (usually).

I understand better now. I was caught up in the idea of the "miracle water" from Lourdes. But it's no miracle unless one has the faith to support it.

I will do the Divine Mercy Chaplet! I was thinking, "9 Days! Cool!"
Old May 31, '12, 5:44 pm

Quote:
..............I will do the Divine Mercy Chaplet! I was thinking, "9 Days! Cool!"
That is one of the best weapons in the Catholic arsenal. God bless your heart for such a display of love.
Old Jun 1, '12, 4:52 pm

Quote:
Ah. I wasn't thinking of it in that way. So it could actually *harm* her? How? It's healing water, could it really harm someone?

And, if she does say yes, would it be better for her to drink it, or for me to apply it to the affected area?
Not harm her physically but she may feel attacked by you and the Church and be harmed spiritually and emotionally.

If she accepts the water I think it would be excellent to use it. If she doesn't, continue to pray for her and bring her closer to God.

It's hard when our loved ones are going through difficult trials. Things like these (especially illnesses) tend to either break down or build up our faith. Allow God to use you to provide strength and comfort to your step mother as she fights against this illness.

Continue to pray for her and be assured that I will be praying for both of you.
Old Jun 1, '12, 7:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
The basic theology of the sacramental is they help us if we truly have faith. Any use that goes beyond that is a step into superstition. Take a look at page 3 of the enclosed document, to me it is quite clear that the person must be united with the Church in order to co-operate with the sacramental and benefit from it. You also must remember that unless it has been blessed, that water from Lourdes is not Holy Water, neither is it a medicine or something supernatural, but Our Lady has granted special favors with its use.

Sacramentals
Christiano, I did not know that the water from Lourdes must be blessed! I just thought the water that flowed through the grotto was holy because of the apparition of Mary!

So the water I have is not even holy?

Old Jun 1, '12, 7:33 pm

Religion: Catholic by way of Luther and the Cof E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmom2 View Post
Perhaps you could tell her that "you know she may not believe what you believe, but would she mind if you blessed her with your holy water?" Tell her that it will make YOU feel better when you pray for her. Most likely, she will say she doesn't mind. I hope that you are able to have a very meaningful and lovely visit with her.

Quote:
Thank you! That has been what I have done with her, never making a big issue of being Catholic, except I do go to Mass when I am there over a weekend (usually).

I understand better now. I was caught up in the idea of the "miracle water" from Lourdes. But it's no miracle unless one has the faith to support it.

I will do the Divine Mercy Chaplet! I was thinking, "9 Days! Cool!"
Well done.. I immediately thought 9 days ...sounds like a novena opportunity to me.

I think it is so understandable when we know that we have these sacramentals that , however, they work with God's grace they help us with our faith. I know that some protestants such as some Pentacostals believe in blessed fragments of fabric that can be used to impart that blessing on to someone....not sure exactly how that is supposed to work but I have to say that just because we Catholics like our very tangible faith and the fact that it is totally Biblical , doesn't mean Baptists have less or more faith than we do. However just incase you do get some push back you could remind her that after all Jesus himself made a paste with mud and His spit for the blind man ,he did not condemn the man who sat by the pool for believing in such 'nonsense', and I will never forget the story of the woman who touched the edge of his cloak and He said He felt it when he was jostled by a crowd - why , because of her faith but her faith was increased because she believed she need only touch his garment to be healed.
Old Jun 1, '12, 9:22 pm

Your love for your stepmom will probably help her more than anything.
Keep in mind that a 92 year old person probably would have trouble accepting new ideas. Arteries kind of solidify . . .I don't see myself making any big new life-changing decisions now that I'm nearly 70.
I think it's an issue of integrity. None of us would appreciate any kind of intercession that we didn't believe in - I wouldn't want a Buddhist or Christian Scientist sneaking some kind of ritual substance into my food or drink (not saying that they would), so it's not fair to do this to anyone, even if we are convinced that Lourdes water is helpful.
Old Jun 2, '12, 7:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viki63 View Post
Your love for your stepmom will probably help her more than anything.
Keep in mind that a 92 year old person probably would have trouble accepting new ideas. Arteries kind of solidify . . .I don't see myself making any big new life-changing decisions now that I'm nearly 70.
I think it's an issue of integrity. None of us would appreciate any kind of intercession that we didn't believe in - I wouldn't want a Buddhist or Christian Scientist sneaking some kind of ritual substance into my food or drink (not saying that they would), so it's not fair to do this to anyone, even if we are convinced that Lourdes water is helpful.
That's a fair point.

I will pray for a miracle instead.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life