Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 3, '12, 12:55 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to AdamPeter
Default Re: Jesuits?

You should probably check out the Dominicans and the Diocesan Priesthood...speak to their Vocation Director.

It's funny you mention that combination...cos those are the two that I'm discerning right now.

I have visited a good few religious orders while discerning; Franciscan Friars of the Renewal, Capuchins & Augustinians etc...

I generally ruled them out by praying about my experiences & how I would feel about a life spent doing what that particular order did.

I think it will be pretty obvious if & when you feel that you have a calling to a particular thing.

God will just give you the desire for it.

Old Jun 3, '12, 3:13 pm

I know if i were to join my local parish smeinary here in pittsburgh i would haveto go to college for philosophy ebforehand.If iwas join a religous order such as the jesuits what are the academic prerequisites for joining?
Old Jun 3, '12, 3:29 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Send a message via Skype™ to AdamPeter

I don't know their academic prerequisites...this is the link to their vocations section of the Jesuits website.

http://www.jesuit.org/join/

The best thing to do might be to find some info there & see if you can get in touch with a Jesuit Vocation Director.

If you feel that you may be called to be a Jesuit Priest then take some time & explore their way of life and ask questions.

Good luck & God Bless

Old Jun 3, '12, 3:44 pm

Thank You very much. Is there any-one else whois htinking of joining a different religous order?
Old Jun 5, '12, 7:42 am

Religion: Catholic - Now with 100% more vocation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlycool89 View Post
The Jesuits are an order of priests (mostly priests, there's a few non-priest Jesuits I believe) who focus largely on academics. It's a very intellectual order. They also follow Ignatian Spirituality. You'll usually find Jesuits around university campus'.

They do celebrate Mass, often in Campus Ministries at their university (so at a chapel on campus usually), but so far as I know they don't normally do parish work.

I'd ignore the rumours. There may be a few bad apples, but you get that in many large groups (if you want a good example of a Jesuit, Archbishop Prendergast of Ottawa is a great one). They do also take a special vow of obedience to the Pope.
The best one. I couldn't ask for a better Bishop!

CAF Group for Catholic IT Workers. Now with 100% MORE MESSAGE BOARD!.
Old Jun 5, '12, 5:54 pm

I was doing more research on other religous orders adn i understand what Mendicant and Monastic Orders do but what does it mean when an order Clerical Religous Congregation, or Order of Canons REgular, or Order of Clerics Regular?
Old Jun 6, '12, 4:06 pm

Does anyone know what those different types of orders do differently that i listed in my last post?
Old Jun 6, '12, 4:41 pm

Send a message via ICQ to Oneofthewomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish 13 View Post
I know if i were to join my local parish smeinary here in pittsburgh i would haveto go to college for philosophy ebforehand.If iwas join a religous order such as the jesuits what are the academic prerequisites for joining?
This is from the Program of Priestly Formation
Quote:
50. Theologates must require a bachelorís degree or its equivalent
from an accredited institution. Sufficient education in philosophy, which
the Code of Canon Law states as a biennium,37 is understood in the United
States to be at least 30 semester credit hours, plus the out-of-classroom
work associated with each credit hour traditionally expected in American
higher education. A minimum of 12 semester credit hours is required
in appropriate courses of undergraduate theology.
My understanding is that this program is used for the formation of all priests in the US- secular (diocesean) and regular (orders like the Jesuits).

In addition to these requirements, the Jesuits also have their own formation process. It is one of the longest formations in the Church- 8 to 10 years I believe, with lots of education!!

If you are interested, even a little bit, in the Jesuits, I highly recommend you check out this website. It is a gate-way to all things Jesuit in the US.

On a side note, I am a champion of the Jesuits, so my opinion is a litte biased!
The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius changed my life!

If I was a man, and not married, I really hope I would be a Jesuit!!

Musings From One of the Women
Old Jun 9, '12, 12:48 am
Book Club Member

Religion: CATHOLIC

The Society of Jesus is an awesome order. It's charism is beautiful. There are over 18,000 Jesuits, priests and brothers. Because of the way that St. Ignatius set them up, they have a lot more freedom than any other religious. Even though they make solemn vows just like Benedictines, Franciscans, or Carmelites, St. Ignatius did not want them to live like other religious.

They have no rule of life. He wrote statutes for them. They are free to change those statutes according to their needs and the needs of the times, something that other orders cannot do.

St. Ignatius did not expect his sons to live in community. They rarely pray, eat, sleep, or play together. Every Jesuit is very autonomous. This is a great thing for them, because they can move freely around the world without having to go where their community goes. It is also a weakness, because you don't always have the oversight that is present in a community house that is regulated by a superior. It leaves room for people to get into trouble. Some Jesuits have become very good at getting into trouble.

Ignatius also wanted his sons to question the faith from A to Z. In his vision, he was building soldiers. These men has to know their faith and incorporate it into their being not as something that one simply obeys and follows, but as something that defines who you are, just as a soldier incorporates every aspect of military life so that he can survive alone, if he has to do so. The Jesuits are going to raise many questions and they are going to encourage others to question. This can be dangerous, because asking questions is a good thing, calling into question is not a good thing. Some people cross that fine line.

Are the Jesuits homosexuals? I'm not sure who said that, but the rule of thumb is simple. If you have not seen said behavior, then you can't accuse anyone of it.

All of this being said, there are very holy men in the Society of Jesus and they play a very important role in the life of the Church. Today, many Jesuits hold very important offices in the Holy See. The second in command of the CDF is a Jesuit. One of the theologians asked to dialogue with the SSPX is a Jesuit. The Vatican's highest theological commission is run by Jesuits. Many missionaries in horrible situations are Jesuits. Unfortunately, Roman Catholics pay very little attention to the good that these men do, but have made it their favorite pastime looking for everything that they do wrong.

The way that Roman Catholics treat Jesuits is disgusting. It lacks balance, which is part of Justice. The wrongs are aired out and the goods are never acknowledged.

We speak of them with disdain, forgetting that we're speaking of consecrated men in solemn vows, the most sacred of all vows in the Church. Suddenly, sin trumps the sacredness of the vows. Yet, we say that we want more vocations. It's not very inviting to the young to become religious, only to be on every wagging tongue.

Roman Catholics are quick to label the Jesuits, rather than individuals. But when others do the same when speaking about Catholics, then we protest that not all Catholics are evil.

In addition, some Roman Catholics have made it their mission to discourage vocations to the Jesuit Order. There is no way to improve a system unless you infuse it with fresh blood with a new perspective. To deprive it of new life is to condemn it to die. This is precisely what some Roman Catholics wish to see happen to the Society of Jesus.

But some people don't think that the above behavior and treatment of a group of men is disgusting and sinful. They justify themselves by pointing to the errors and ignoring the good, which outdoes their weaknesses.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, FFV

Brother JR, FFV

"Forget not love."

Won't you join the Rosary Crusade for Life?
Old Jun 9, '12, 5:22 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Both of my sons graduated from a Jesuit high school (boys only). They obtained an excellent education (although not many Brothers were teachers). The President of the School is a Jesuit priest. There is a Brothers' Residence right on campus, so we had several in daily contact with our sons. One Jesuit priest ran the retreat program and was a superior influence. Both of our sons went to and also led a Kairos retreat while at the school. These Jesuits were holy men.

One of the Brothers was known for being able to bi-locate. He could discipline a boy in one part of campus and then be in another part of campus almost instantaneously giving a PH to another boy (penance hall). Some people theorized a system of tunnels under the buildings but others think God granted him special powers to be able to ride herd on 800 boys.
Old Jun 9, '12, 5:51 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
Both of my sons graduated from a Jesuit high school (boys only). They obtained an excellent education (although not many Brothers were teachers). The President of the School is a Jesuit priest. There is a Brothers' Residence right on campus, so we had several in daily contact with our sons. One Jesuit priest ran the retreat program and was a superior influence. Both of our sons went to and also led a Kairos retreat while at the school. These Jesuits were holy men.

One of the Brothers was known for being able to bi-locate. He could discipline a boy in one part of campus and then be in another part of campus almost instantaneously giving a PH to another boy (penance hall). Some people theorized a system of tunnels under the buildings but others think God granted him special powers to be able to ride herd on 800 boys.

Now that's funny. I'm going to be teaching a few courses at the seminary this fall. I wonder if I can get one of the Jebbies to teach me how to bi-locate.

They run excellent high schools. When I was in the missions, the Jebbies ran a very good high school for boys. We ran a retreat center. They would bring their boys to us for retreat. The Jebbies were always delightful guests. They were very humble, friendly, and intelligent without being cocky.

Of course, when you get Franciscans and Jesuits in one space there are going to be disagreements on the hot topics of the day. A Jesuit can never call a light bulb by its name. He has to analyze it and evaluate every part. The Franciscan, on the other hand, accepts the light bulb as is, but wonders why in the world Thomas Edison even invented such a thing.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, FFV

Brother JR, FFV

"Forget not love."

Old Jun 9, '12, 6:17 am

I think it was specific to THIS Jesuit. He's also a Cajun, and infamous within the school community. If you want to come visit, I'll introduce you.

The school kept a good balance between understanding the interior and exterior growth process of teenage boys and keeping them in line. I probably would insist upon coat and tie every day, which is how they began, but that decision wasn't mine to make.

(Of course I have more problems with the Jesuit focus on a particular slant on social justice, but in the scheme of things over the course of 4 years of their education, I think that aspect played a fairly small part. It's up to me to clarify and give them historical background on issues such as that.)
Old Jun 9, '12, 6:36 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
I think it was specific to THIS Jesuit. He's also a Cajun, and infamous within the school community. If you want to come visit, I'll introduce you.

The school kept a good balance between understanding the interior and exterior growth process of teenage boys and keeping them in line. I probably would insist upon coat and tie every day, which is how they began, but that decision wasn't mine to make.

(Of course I have more problems with the Jesuit focus on a particular slant on social justice, but in the scheme of things over the course of 4 years of their education, I think that aspect played a fairly small part. It's up to me to clarify and give them historical background on issues such as that.)
Your last statement is very important. We're not all going to have the same take on social issues. If you put the SSPX and Franciscans into the same room, the SSPX would want us before the Inquisition. We speak of a preferential option for the poor. We refuse to serve anyone in the middle class or higher. We're closing parishes, because they're middle class. We're in the Holy Land, but in 800 years we have never made a concerted effort to convert Jews or Muslims. Instead, our focus has been in trying to keep the peace in those parts of the Middle East where we find ourselves. We will defend the underdog, even if he's our enemy. We prohibit all signs of nationalism among our religious and yet we encourage national responsibility.

As you say, there are different takes on social situations. The Jebbies have a right to have their own take.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, FFV

Brother JR, FFV

"Forget not love."

Old Jun 9, '12, 9:15 am
Banned

I am Catholic and am just now researching the Jesuits; weird how the Jesuits play such a role with in the Church and hold positions in the Vatican yet are for some reason treated as the black sheep of the bunch by Catholics themselves, yet after the 2000 scandals one would think people with in the Catholic Church would not have this ill mind set towards the Jesuits....

I can see the pros of being a Jesuit the freedom one has to work with out boundaries but as others have stated it can bring problems but it seems the problems stem from those who lack discipline or entered into the vocation for the wrong reasons.

It seems the Catholic Church needs more honorable, honest men in a lot of vocations from the top down and every where in between ... or perhaps the bad we hear about from all sides is really a minority and becomes highlighted in society because of the scandalous nature of it and how media and tv ratings thrive on scandal.

I can see that perhaps maybe Joan of Arc would have liked the Jesuits, I at least wonder.
Old Jun 9, '12, 9:47 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john78 View Post
I am Catholic and am just now researching the Jesuits; weird how the Jesuits play such a role with in the Church and hold positions in the Vatican yet are for some reason treated as the black sheep of the bunch by Catholics themselves, yet after the 2000 scandals one would think people with in the Catholic Church would not have this ill mind set towards the Jesuits....

I can see the pros of being a Jesuit the freedom one has to work with out boundaries but as others have stated it can bring problems but it seems the problems stem from those who lack discipline or entered into the vocation for the wrong reasons.

It seems the Catholic Church needs more honorable, honest men in a lot of vocations from the top down and every where in between ... or perhaps the bad we hear about from all sides is really a minority and becomes highlighted in society because of the scandalous nature of it and how media and tv ratings thrive on scandal.

I can see that perhaps maybe Joan of Arc would have liked the Jesuits, I at least wonder.
Whooah! Leave Joan alone. She was a Franciscan.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, FFV

Brother JR, FFV

"Forget not love."

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations