Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #76  
Old Jun 11, '12, 12:18 pm
cviolette cviolette is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 7, 2010
Posts: 979
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Ever thought of plastic surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debora123 View Post
True, but you DID get expensive, painful plastic surgeries to repair the damage....
Very true. I could look good in clothes but I wanted to look good naked too.

But I still couldn't imagine not having my kids no matter what. They are the best thing in my life.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old Jun 11, '12, 12:21 pm
Serap Serap is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 18, 2008
Posts: 7,210
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ever thought of plastic surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cviolette View Post
Very true. I could look good in clothes but I wanted to look good naked too.

But I still couldn't imagine not having my kids no matter what. They are the best thing in my life.
Hey to each her own. It's a very personal choice.

Tampering with your face is a very different thing though.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old Jun 11, '12, 12:28 pm
Rkdajr Rkdajr is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: July 15, 2011
Posts: 59
Religion: Agnostic
Default Re: Ever thought of plastic surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serap View Post
man problem?
Hm? I'm a girl :]
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old Jun 11, '12, 5:14 pm
Serap Serap is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 18, 2008
Posts: 7,210
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ever thought of plastic surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkdajr View Post
Hm? I'm a girl :]
then your post was a wee bit inappropriate since victims of cancer go through the procedure you mentioned and it is nothing to joke about. Just my thoughts. Not sure why you wish to derail this thread in an inappropriate direction.

This has been a very good discussion so far. let's keep it that way please.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old Jun 11, '12, 5:15 pm
Serap Serap is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 18, 2008
Posts: 7,210
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ever thought of plastic surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cviolette View Post
Very true. I could look good in clothes but I wanted to look good naked too.

But I still couldn't imagine not having my kids no matter what. They are the best thing in my life.
Life is about choices and sacrifices. We women sacrifice our body's asthetic appearance to create life and there is no more beautiful sacrifice IMO.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old Jun 12, '12, 5:21 am
gardenswithkids gardenswithkids is online now
Senior Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: December 19, 2004
Posts: 6,103
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ever thought of plastic surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serap View Post
Life is about choices and sacrifices. We women sacrifice our body's asthetic appearance to create life and there is no more beautiful sacrifice IMO.
Have you ever thought about the sacrifice we make of our bodies for the sake of our children during the words of the consecration? "This is my body, which is given up for you."

----
Serap, with or without kids, you'd still be in your forties. Forty isn't twenty. I want to look younger than my real age too, but that's really hard to do when a grown man in his early twenties calls me, "Mom." (Who is that guy---and why did he give me stretch marks on my previously perfect abdomen?) I know, I know, I look much younger on the internet. Discussing my two year old helps keep my posts looking more youthful.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old Jun 12, '12, 5:30 am
Married39 Married39 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: November 3, 2011
Posts: 39
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ever thought of plastic surgery?

Debora123:

We agree with you absolutely that any procedure should be done after a woman is done having children and only if it is affordable. We won't go in great debt when or if she decides to go for surgery.

How big do you want to go?

My wife is currently a 36C but she is insecure due to sagging so she is looking at a full D or DD so they don't look too fake. If you have this when your kids are young, (ours are 1 and 4), they won't know their mother has done a procedure.

We find it weird when some women have older children and decide to get work done especially if the daughter or son is much older and sees their mother change her look. To me it opens the door for them to be insecure with their look. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old Jun 12, '12, 6:06 am
Serap Serap is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 18, 2008
Posts: 7,210
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ever thought of plastic surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenswithkids View Post
Have you ever thought about the sacrifice we make of our bodies for the sake of our children during the words of the consecration? "This is my body, which is given up for you."

----
Serap, with or without kids, you'd still be in your forties. Forty isn't twenty. I want to look younger than my real age too, but that's really hard to do when a grown man in his early twenties calls me, "Mom." (Who is that guy---and why did he give me stretch marks on my previously perfect abdomen?) I know, I know, I look much younger on the internet. Discussing my two year old helps keep my posts looking more youthful.
I personally think a woman can look beautiful at any age and resisting facial plastic procedures can really help a woman age more gracefully.

French women (as an example) have aged well since the beginning of time and it's all down to lifestyle choices. They walk everywhere and eat small portions. They maintain the same weight their whole life. They are not out getting plastic surgery like us North Americanos

I'm going to be 41 in 2 weeks and it sucks to get old, but it's part of life. I think we'd all like to look 20 forever. I don't know of any man or woman who enjoys aging (the physical part of it)...they do however, love being more mature and comfortable with themself.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old Jun 12, '12, 6:27 am
Mary Gail 36's Avatar
Mary Gail 36 Mary Gail 36 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: September 5, 2005
Posts: 11,298
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ever thought of plastic surgery?

Slightly off topic....there is an old episode of All in the Family where Edith becomes insecure about Archie's feelings toward her.

She tells him something to the effect that she feels old, and that she looks old.

Archie, in one of his sweeter moments, tells her that her face still is beautiful. He then ponders if our eyes start to get weaker around the same time that our faces start getting lines and wrinkles, and how perhaps God designed it like that, so that we would always see our beloved as beautiful.

I thought that was a really sweet tv moment.
__________________
Jesus, protect and save the unborn.

The Word became flesh, He lived among us, and we saw His glory, the glory that He has from the Father as only Son of the Father, full of grace and truth.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old Jun 12, '12, 7:10 am
Serap Serap is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 18, 2008
Posts: 7,210
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ever thought of plastic surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Gail 36 View Post
Slightly off topic....there is an old episode of All in the Family where Edith becomes insecure about Archie's feelings toward her.

She tells him something to the effect that she feels old, and that she looks old.

Archie, in one of his sweeter moments, tells her that her face still is beautiful. He then ponders if our eyes start to get weaker around the same time that our faces start getting lines and wrinkles, and how perhaps God designed it like that, so that we would always see our beloved as beautiful.

I thought that was a really sweet tv moment.
I love that show!!! It was so ahead of its time
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old Jun 12, '12, 7:43 am
gardenswithkids gardenswithkids is online now
Senior Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: December 19, 2004
Posts: 6,103
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ever thought of plastic surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serap View Post
I personally think a woman can look beautiful at any age and resisting facial plastic procedures can really help a woman age more gracefully.

French women (as an example) have aged well since the beginning of time and it's all down to lifestyle choices. They walk everywhere and eat small portions. They maintain the same weight their whole life. They are not out getting plastic surgery like us North Americanos

I'm going to be 41 in 2 weeks and it sucks to get old, but it's part of life. I think we'd all like to look 20 forever. I don't know of any man or woman who enjoys aging (the physical part of it)...they do however, love being more mature and comfortable with themself.
I agree. Women can be beautiful at any age, but it's beauty in a different way. Just like a baby is cute in a different way from a toddler, and a toddler is cute in a different way from a kindergartener, and a kindergartener is cute in a different way from a ten year old. A forty year old woman isn't beautiful in the same way as a twenty year old.

Trying to look like a perpetual twenty-something can make a woman look creepy instead of beautiful. I remember when I was younger being shocked by some women when I got up close to them or when they turned around. It helps to remember that we don't want someone thinking we look great from a distance only to be repulsed when they get closer. Old people trying to look younger didn't look beautiful--they looked like something from the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland!

Elderly women in the classy department store that I worked in--many of them were still quite beautiful! I'm aiming to age gracefully, not to stop aging. I had an aunt who looked twenty years younger than she was--but she still looked like an old woman. She was an eighty year old who could pass for a sixty year old. Think long term. I can look twenty years younger when I'm eighty without seeming creepy, but if I try looking twenty years younger when in my forties, I may scare small children.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old Jun 13, '12, 8:39 am
hurting hurting is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 10, 2011
Posts: 402
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Ever thought of plastic surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onmyknees View Post
This thread is making me depressed!!

What happened to Catholics growing old gracefully, sacrificing and being open to life. I keep thinking about my mom and how she was kind of fat (but not near obese) after her six babies. Her hair was greying too.
I have fond memories of when all her lady friends would come over for tea. All of them had had many babies, were somewhat overweight but not obese, and their hair was greying.
They were just so happy to get together and chat! They all brought their children along so we could play together while they talked.

My dad would always tell my mom that he loved her just how she was! He told her that he liked that she was soft and had grey hair.

I am 53 now and I am going to grow old gracefully without plastic surgery! My hair is thinning, and I have wrinkles around my eyes. My body is not fat but it is not that toned either. My dh likes it that way. When I stopped worrying about getting old it was freeing.

And yes, our bodies will be transfigured into glorified bodies when we finally hear, "Well done my child, you have ran the race and won the battle!"
Finally! I read through four pages of posts before even one (this one) alluded to the vanity inherent in all of this. If you have money for tummy tucks or Botox or whatever that is not medically necessary - please donate it to someone who really needs surgery to correct truly devastating deformities (e.g., cleft palate).
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old Jun 13, '12, 12:48 pm
Debora123 Debora123 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: October 22, 2010
Posts: 7,734
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Ever thought of plastic surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurting View Post
Finally! I read through four pages of posts before even one (this one) alluded to the vanity inherent in all of this. If you have money for tummy tucks or Botox or whatever that is not medically necessary - please donate it to someone who really needs surgery to correct truly devastating deformities (e.g., cleft palate).
We need to give at least 10% of our income to charity.

We are not required, however, to give away all the money we'd spend on lucrative/optional things such as plastic surgery, name brand clothes, expensive vacations. We most certainly can, and it would be very nice if we did, but there is no requirement to do so.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old Jun 13, '12, 12:56 pm
Serap Serap is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 18, 2008
Posts: 7,210
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ever thought of plastic surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debora123 View Post
We need to give at least 10% of our income to charity.

We are not required, however, to give away all the money we'd spend on lucrative/optional things such as plastic surgery, name brand clothes, expensive vacations. We most certainly can, and it would be very nice if we did, but there is no requirement to do so.
BAH...in Canada nearly 40% of my pay goes to the government, so I'm donating a heck of a lot more to social programs in my country (than I can afford!!!)
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old Jun 13, '12, 1:30 pm
Debora123 Debora123 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: October 22, 2010
Posts: 7,734
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Ever thought of plastic surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serap View Post
BAH...in Canada nearly 40% of my pay goes to the government, so I'm donating a heck of a lot more to social programs in my country (than I can afford!!!)
40%!?!!!!

Sheesh! With taxes like that, who needs to give to charities?! ?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8474Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: SueZee
5153CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4429Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: daughterstm
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3863SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3762Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: daughterstm
3330Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3286Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3225Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3114For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Weejee



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 9:43 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.