Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 10, '12, 6:41 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Mortal Sin to Curse Someone?

By cursing someone, I mean to say something like "go to hell, f**** you, son of a b-word, etc."

If I'm breaking any rules, please edit this post, moderator.
Old Jun 10, '12, 7:35 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)
Default Re: Mortal Sin to Curse Someone?

well, it probally depends on your intentions whether mortal or venial, but as Christian we are called 2 be Christ like yes? and could you see Jesus telling someone that? God bless
"For what page or what utterance of the divinely inspired books of the Old and the New Testament is not a most exact rule of human life? Or, what book of the holy Catholic Fathers doth not loudly proclaim how we may go straight to our Creator?" -Holy Rule of Saint Benedict
Old Jun 10, '12, 7:51 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

I can't imagine a circumstance in which it would be a mortal sin. Maybe if you were trying to break someone so much that they might kill themselves, bit that intent would have to be there. Not to mention you have to know a sin is a serious matter and still fully consent. Cursing is usually done in anger, which itself can be mitigating.

If I am wrong, someone please let me know. But I just can't fathom that such a thing is a mortal sin, as damaging as it might be and as un Christlike as it is.
Old Jun 10, '12, 8:19 pm

Sure it can be a mortal sin, depending on who you say it to, how you say it, etc. It can easily and clearly communicate "I hate you", which is a violation of the second (and through it, the first) greatest commandment.
Old Jun 10, '12, 8:29 pm

I recommend reading the following article:

http://acatholiclife.blogspot.ca/200...guage-sin.html

Profanity can indeed be a mortal sin if it is directed with malice towards somebody.
Old Jun 11, '12, 7:58 am
Book Club Member

My belief:
I would feel that this type of behaviour most certainly can be a mortal sin.
Mortal sin is that action or behaviour which separates su from God to such an extent that we would be unable to accept his loving Judgement of us if we were to come face to face with him at that moment.

The hatred inherent in the sentiment you describe could most certainly place a person in a state of mind that would make them inclined to turn to God and express the sentiment of "And F** you too!!" if brought face to face at that moment. -
To enter Gods presence we must do so willingly, humbly and lovingly.

To live ones life feeling it is OK to let your self control go to the point that you regularly engage in such hurtful behaviour would be an indication of a life which is not walking "Hand in hand with our Saviour" or of any type of a life of Repentance or imitation of Christ.

As such Regular behaviour of this type would be an indication that there is also much more serious sin in the persons life which they need to address.

I would point to the tradition of the "7 deadly sins" - all of which are vices of attitude not specific actions.
The presence of these vices as significant problems gripping our soul can then lead us into regular unrepentant sin, and prevent us from welcoming our Salvation.

An explosion of the type you describe could derive from the presence of several of those "deadly sins"

I hope that makes sense.
Old Jun 12, '12, 2:36 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun12 View Post
I recommend reading the following article:

http://acatholiclife.blogspot.ca/200...guage-sin.html

Profanity can indeed be a mortal sin if it is directed with malice towards somebody.
That article didn't make the case for me on cursing. It says that because its against the second commandment, the first criteria is already fulfilled. I don't see how simply being against a commandment makes something a "serious matter" in the sense of mortal sin. If that were so, all sins would be mortal sins.

It further says that simply engaging it cursing implies full consent of the will. Since cursing is usually a habit, I don't think this can be said to be fulfilled either.

The blogger is also an SSPX member, which I almost hate to point out, but I am not sure a Roman Catholic should use this guy as an authority. He seems like a decent fellow with a good intention, bit his use of the CCC only bolsters his argument in regard to profaning God, the Church, and related holy persons and objects.

With actual cursing, if one is truly trying to lay a curse on someone, then I would say it is a mortal sin, as trying to damn someone, however futile, would be akin to murder. But saying words that are vulgar out of habit or anger isn't the same!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life