Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Jun 11, '12, 7:42 am
Nickless Nickless is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: May 7, 2012
Posts: 20
Default New Testament-misquotes?

Some anti-missionary orginizations claim the New Testament misquotes the Old Testament, such as St. Paul in Hebrews בחלתי insted of בעלתי; is that a type of quotation?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Jun 11, '12, 7:56 am
TypesAndShadows TypesAndShadows is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: October 29, 2011
Posts: 247
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: New Testament-misquotes?

The New Testament is written in Greek, and quotes from the Septuagint which is a Greek translation of the Old Testament. So I don't see how it would make any sense to claim that the writers quoting a Greek text were misquoting a Hebrew word.

Certainly, there are those who say that the Septuagint is an inaccurate translation of the Hebrew, although there are typically a load of assumptions tied up in that. I tend to think that if Jesus and the Apostles quoted from it, that's good enough for me, although I can see that's not very convincing for a non-Christian.

I'm sure someone will be along with much more detail on the Septuagint and the Masoretic text.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Jun 11, '12, 8:15 am
Credo ergo sum Credo ergo sum is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: September 18, 2011
Posts: 882
Religion: Considering Catholicism and Orthodoxy
Default Re: New Testament-misquotes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickless View Post
Some anti-missionary orginizations claim the New Testament misquotes the Old Testament, such as St. Paul in Hebrews בחלתי insted of בעלתי; is that a type of quotation?
The NT is in Hebrew? Since when?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Jun 11, '12, 9:06 am
TimothyH TimothyH is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: March 26, 2010
Posts: 9,013
Default Re: New Testament-misquotes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credo ergo sum View Post
The NT is in Hebrew? Since when?
The NT draws from and quotes the OT frequently in many places.

John pulls from the OT liberally when he describes the seven seals in the Book of Revelation. Paul quotes the OT quite a bit. Even the exordium in the Book of Hebrews, the first four verses of the first chapter, draw heavily from themes explcit in the Old Testament - angels, reflecting God's glory, exact representation, etc.

I think this is what the OP was referring to, not the NT itself, but where the NT quotes and uses the OT, that it does so in a way which is misleading becasue the NT authors were inaccurately quoting the OT.

I wouldn't mind hearing what someone more knowledgeable than myslef has to say about how accurately the NT writers quoted the OT. I appears that Paul may sometimes adapt the OT texts and not quote them exactly, or may be at times referencing texts which are similar to but outside of the Hebrew or Greek Old Testament. Maybe this is a source of the confusion?

It is an interensting question.


-Tim-
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Jun 11, '12, 10:56 am
Credo ergo sum Credo ergo sum is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: September 18, 2011
Posts: 882
Religion: Considering Catholicism and Orthodoxy
Default Re: New Testament-misquotes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
The NT draws from and quotes the OT frequently in many places.

John pulls from the OT liberally when he describes the seven seals in the Book of Revelation. Paul quotes the OT quite a bit. Even the exordium in the Book of Hebrews, the first four verses of the first chapter, draw heavily from themes explcit in the Old Testament - angels, reflecting God's glory, exact representation, etc.

I think this is what the OP was referring to, not the NT itself, but where the NT quotes and uses the OT, that it does so in a way which is misleading becasue the NT authors were inaccurately quoting the OT.

I wouldn't mind hearing what someone more knowledgeable than myslef has to say about how accurately the NT writers quoted the OT. I appears that Paul may sometimes adapt the OT texts and not quote them exactly, or may be at times referencing texts which are similar to but outside of the Hebrew or Greek Old Testament. Maybe this is a source of the confusion?

It is an interensting question.


-Tim-
Quotes are always in Greek. Compare the manuscripts of the NT to this claim:

"such as St. Paul in Hebrews בחלתי insted of בעלתי; is that a type of quotation?"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Jun 11, '12, 6:39 pm
Todd Easton Todd Easton is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 29, 2004
Posts: 3,269
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: New Testament-misquotes?

It may be true that the modern Hebrew Bible reads differently than the Old Testament passages quoted in the Greek New Testament when they are translated back into Hebrew but that is pretty much all that can be said. Lacking the Hebrew originals to make a proper comparison, there is no sure way of knowing which is the true reading.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Jun 12, '12, 6:38 am
mskejj mskejj is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: October 6, 2009
Posts: 241
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: New Testament-misquotes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Easton View Post
It may be true that the modern Hebrew Bible reads differently than the Old Testament passages quoted in the Greek New Testament when they are translated back into Hebrew but that is pretty much all that can be said. Lacking the Hebrew originals to make a proper comparison, there is no sure way of knowing which is the true reading.
Actually, the finding of the Dead Sea Scrolls changed the perception that the Septuagint was a poor translation of the Hebrew OT. They found a Hebrew manuscript of the OT which was an accurate translation of the Septuagint. That means that the translators for the Septuagint were using a slightly different (not in anything major) translation in Hebrew that they were translating from and it was accurate.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8246Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5011CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: James_OPL
4344Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: James_OPL
4029OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: B79
3830SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3562Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3223Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3203Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: memphian
3112Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: lewisjoan
3047For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Thomas Choe



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 8:11 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.