Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 11, '12, 7:42 am

Default New Testament-misquotes?

Some anti-missionary orginizations claim the New Testament misquotes the Old Testament, such as St. Paul in Hebrews בחלתי insted of בעלתי; is that a type of quotation?
Old Jun 11, '12, 7:56 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: New Testament-misquotes?

The New Testament is written in Greek, and quotes from the Septuagint which is a Greek translation of the Old Testament. So I don't see how it would make any sense to claim that the writers quoting a Greek text were misquoting a Hebrew word.

Certainly, there are those who say that the Septuagint is an inaccurate translation of the Hebrew, although there are typically a load of assumptions tied up in that. I tend to think that if Jesus and the Apostles quoted from it, that's good enough for me, although I can see that's not very convincing for a non-Christian.

I'm sure someone will be along with much more detail on the Septuagint and the Masoretic text.
Old Jun 11, '12, 8:15 am
Banned

Religion: Considering Catholicism and Orthodoxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickless View Post
Some anti-missionary orginizations claim the New Testament misquotes the Old Testament, such as St. Paul in Hebrews בחלתי insted of בעלתי; is that a type of quotation?
The NT is in Hebrew? Since when?
Old Jun 11, '12, 9:06 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credo ergo sum View Post
The NT is in Hebrew? Since when?
The NT draws from and quotes the OT frequently in many places.

John pulls from the OT liberally when he describes the seven seals in the Book of Revelation. Paul quotes the OT quite a bit. Even the exordium in the Book of Hebrews, the first four verses of the first chapter, draw heavily from themes explcit in the Old Testament - angels, reflecting God's glory, exact representation, etc.

I think this is what the OP was referring to, not the NT itself, but where the NT quotes and uses the OT, that it does so in a way which is misleading becasue the NT authors were inaccurately quoting the OT.

I wouldn't mind hearing what someone more knowledgeable than myslef has to say about how accurately the NT writers quoted the OT. I appears that Paul may sometimes adapt the OT texts and not quote them exactly, or may be at times referencing texts which are similar to but outside of the Hebrew or Greek Old Testament. Maybe this is a source of the confusion?

It is an interensting question.

-Tim-
Old Jun 11, '12, 10:56 am
Banned

Religion: Considering Catholicism and Orthodoxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
The NT draws from and quotes the OT frequently in many places.

John pulls from the OT liberally when he describes the seven seals in the Book of Revelation. Paul quotes the OT quite a bit. Even the exordium in the Book of Hebrews, the first four verses of the first chapter, draw heavily from themes explcit in the Old Testament - angels, reflecting God's glory, exact representation, etc.

I think this is what the OP was referring to, not the NT itself, but where the NT quotes and uses the OT, that it does so in a way which is misleading becasue the NT authors were inaccurately quoting the OT.

I wouldn't mind hearing what someone more knowledgeable than myslef has to say about how accurately the NT writers quoted the OT. I appears that Paul may sometimes adapt the OT texts and not quote them exactly, or may be at times referencing texts which are similar to but outside of the Hebrew or Greek Old Testament. Maybe this is a source of the confusion?

It is an interensting question.

-Tim-
Quotes are always in Greek. Compare the manuscripts of the NT to this claim:

"such as St. Paul in Hebrews בחלתי insted of בעלתי; is that a type of quotation?"
Old Jun 11, '12, 6:39 pm

It may be true that the modern Hebrew Bible reads differently than the Old Testament passages quoted in the Greek New Testament when they are translated back into Hebrew but that is pretty much all that can be said. Lacking the Hebrew originals to make a proper comparison, there is no sure way of knowing which is the true reading.
Old Jun 12, '12, 6:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Easton View Post
It may be true that the modern Hebrew Bible reads differently than the Old Testament passages quoted in the Greek New Testament when they are translated back into Hebrew but that is pretty much all that can be said. Lacking the Hebrew originals to make a proper comparison, there is no sure way of knowing which is the true reading.
Actually, the finding of the Dead Sea Scrolls changed the perception that the Septuagint was a poor translation of the Hebrew OT. They found a Hebrew manuscript of the OT which was an accurate translation of the Septuagint. That means that the translators for the Septuagint were using a slightly different (not in anything major) translation in Hebrew that they were translating from and it was accurate.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture