Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 12, '12, 7:50 am
Veteran Member

Religion: non- Non-Catholic
Default Re: "I'm Catholic, just not *ROMAN* Catholic....."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByzCathCantor View Post
Funny, when I first saw the thread heading, I thought - gee, that was the line I almost always used (verbatim) with all of my Roman Catholic friends growing up who didn't believe I was truly Catholic!
And you're in good company: many people consider the term "Roman Catholic" to mean the same as "Latin Catholic", and hence not include Eastern Catholics. That's one of the things that makes Fr. Longenecker's article "interesting". (Perhaps he is assuming that only Latin Catholics read/discuss his blog.)

"Pastoral activity in the Catholic Church, Latin as well as Eastern, no longer aims at having the faithful of one Church pass over to the other"
- the Balamand Statement

Inklings group
Old Jun 12, '12, 7:54 am

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjconder View Post
I stand firm that the belief in the Real Presence in the Episcopal Church and the Catholic Church are not the same. If they were - why do these two demoninations continue to be at odds?

BTW - why would you assume I would not genuflect - this is an insult to me. When I am in the presence of Jesus Christ - body blood soul and divinity - I ALWAYS genuflect. Will you do so in a Catholic Church?

http://www.ewtn.com/library/liturgy/zlitur328.htm
I remember a story about an Anglo-Catholic priest who served in Milwaukee, perhaps back in the 1920s. He would often take the Blessed Sacrament to his parishioners at St Joseph's (Catholic) Hospital. Because he dressed like any other Catholic priest, the nuns of the hospital, assuming he was Catholic and knowing that he carried the Sacrament with him, would always genuflect when they saw him in the hall.

Apparently, someone informed the nuns that he was an Episcopal priest. So the next time the priest visited the hospital, a group of nuns passed him and did not genuflect. The priest stopped and around and said gently, "Are you sure?" They paused, thought for a moment, and then immediately dropped to the knee.

Better, I think, to err on a generous interpretation of Apostolicae Curae.
Old Jun 12, '12, 8:29 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Hi all. Nice thread.

Getting back to the original question (see above) I think it might help if we ask 2 questions instead of 1: (1) Do you agree with it? and (2) Does it bother you?
Thank you for asking.

1. I pretty much enjoy everything Fr. Dwight writes, whether I agree with him or not. He is such a personality and I love his blunt delivery and wry humor.

Excluding eastern Catholics, It does bother me in certain contexts. I have been to a few churches that call themselves Catholic when they in fact broke from the church and are in schism. One in particular called itself the "Holy Catholic Church". They tout that there are many different kinds of Catholic and you don't have to be in communion with Rome to be Catholic. Here is an example.....http://www.theunitedfreecatholicchurch.org/

Some are downright anti-Catholic.

When I was in the Episcopal church, it bothered me very much. I was a brand new Christian (former atheist!) and I found it rather confusing. My question was why not just really be Catholic then? What I felt I was witnessing was people who admired Catholicism and liked to posture as Catholics, but who didn't want to lead the more disciplined life of a Catholic. Then I moved to the Anglican church under the ACNA,....then onto the Reformed Episcopal Church...but that's another story for another day.

I now go to church at the Catholic Church directly across the street from the Episcopal Church where I started out. It was a long walk

Finally, I don't think there is much sense getting upset over peoples' opinions on this. Some people are bothered by it and some people aren't. Why get upset over a feeling another person has? Fr. Dwight simply shared his take on this. I've shared my opinion and what I experienced, and I thank everyone here who contributed theirs as well.
Old Jun 12, '12, 9:15 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverUserName View Post
Some people are bothered by it and some people aren't.
Exactly. There could be some people who aren't bothered by it but still disagree with it. That's why I suggested the 2 separate questions.

"Pastoral activity in the Catholic Church, Latin as well as Eastern, no longer aims at having the faithful of one Church pass over to the other"
- the Balamand Statement

Inklings group
Old Jun 12, '12, 9:21 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverUserName View Post
What I felt I was witnessing was people who admired Catholicism
Probably you were, but it's also important not to overgeneralize. Some who call themselves Catholic do admire [Roman] Catholicism (witness your own experiences) whereas others do not. (By way of comparison, some who call themselves orthodox admire the [Eastern] Orthodox, whereas others do not.)

- the Balamand Statement

Inklings group
Old Jun 12, '12, 11:20 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrKimel View Post
I remember a story about an Anglo-Catholic priest who served in Milwaukee, perhaps back in the 1920s. He would often take the Blessed Sacrament to his parishioners at St Joseph's (Catholic) Hospital. Because he dressed like any other Catholic priest, the nuns of the hospital, assuming he was Catholic and knowing that he carried the Sacrament with him, would always genuflect when they saw him in the hall.

Apparently, someone informed the nuns that he was an Episcopal priest. So the next time the priest visited the hospital, a group of nuns passed him and did not genuflect. The priest stopped and around and said gently, "Are you sure?" They paused, thought for a moment, and then immediately dropped to the knee.

Better, I think, to err on a generous interpretation of Apostolicae Curae.
I had an RC acquaintance who did the same, when he was in our sanctuary, near the Tabernacle.

GKC
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions