Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 13, '12, 11:21 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: RealCatholic.TV changes its name to ChurchMilitant.TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoGE1947 View Post
Being a relatively new convert I'm just learning how the Catholic Church works. I know that there are some Dioceses and parishes that seem more liberal or conservative theologically than others. An example is Mother Angelica didn't get on too well with the former Bishop of Los Angeles, Cardinal Mahoney, since her theology is more conservative than his.
I do not think that has to do with being theologically conservative. I think that the difference is not in theology but in the style of pastoral care of each bishop. People can debate for ever about pastoral care style and get in really heated arguments even if they are aligned theologically. Agreement on theology does not imply that we will view someone else behaviors or decisions as appropriate.
Old Jun 13, '12, 11:23 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOM View Post
I can't speak for the diocese of Detroit, but I know that in my diocese, it took over 1 year to go through the process. I don't know that RealCatholic TV was either willing or able to wait that long for the process to work itself through. That is one possible reason.
Well it seems that their ministry, and the back-and-forth with the Archdiocese, have gone on longer than that. The appearance is that of a stand-off, which suggests an irreconcilable situation.
Old Jun 13, '12, 11:25 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
I don't see what the Archdiocese of Detroit's beef is about. Bishop Fabian Bruskewitz of Lincoln Nebraska thinks the Vortex is great work and what I've seen of the Vortex and other St Michael presentations I have learned a great deal about our faith. I like their new name after all the Church on Earth is called the Church Militant because we are still fighting the battles and are not part of the Church Victorious or the Church Suffering as yet. (We are not as yet in heaven or in purgatory)
Note, Bishop Bruskewitz spoke favorably of RCTV at one time, and it was relatively early on in their existence before some of their more controversial airings.

The Archdiocese of Detroit was just restating Canon Law:
Canon 216 Since they participate in the mission of the Church, all the Christian faithful have the right to promote or sustain apostolic action even by their own undertakings, according to their own state and condition. Nevertheless, no undertaking is to claim the name Catholic without the consent of competent ecclesiastical authority.
Archbishop Vigneron is a solid bishop. It would be extremely erroneous to label him as "liberal" (not to mention uncharitable and a rash judgment).

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Jun 13, '12, 11:38 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 5859 View Post
Note, Bishop Bruskewitz spoke favorably of RCTV at one time, and it was relatively early on in their existence before some of their more controversial airings.
When was that? I ask because the history of this issue seems to go back to Saint Michael's Media, which was the first thing Voris tried to get the AoD to support as an apostolate, which was denied.
Old Jun 13, '12, 12:10 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Mae View Post
When was that? I ask because the history of this issue seems to go back to Saint Michael's Media, which was the first thing Voris tried to get the AoD to support as an apostolate, which was denied.
Honestly, I can't find exactly what Bishop Bruskewitz said or when with regards to RCTV. I'm just going from memory because I remember hearing his words of endorsement before I heard any of the controversy (and it was several years back).

Perhaps his opinion of RCTV hasn't changed. I certainly have no way of knowing that. If I had a ringing endorsement from Bishop Bruskewitz, I would put it front and center on my home page.

The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Jun 13, '12, 12:22 pm

Quote:
Maybe the Archdiocese of Detroit could stop using the name "Catholic" if they are so liberal as to diss the work of the Vortex!

How rude and judgmental. I would have thought that implying a specific archbishop to be in heresy -- as you have done here, implying that neither he nor the entire diocese would qualify as Catholic -- is a serious violation of forum rules. Nor is agreement with Mr. Vorhis' style or substance any Canonical test that I am aware of as far as qualifying to be "Catholic" -- fortunately.
Old Jun 13, '12, 12:40 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Honestly, I can't find exactly what Bishop Bruskewitz said or when with regards to RCTV. I'm just going from memory because I remember hearing his words of endorsement before I heard any of the controversy (and it was several years back).

Perhaps his opinion of RCTV hasn't changed. I certainly have no way of knowing that. If I had a ringing endorsement from Bishop Bruskewitz, I would put it front and center on my home page.
Log onto the site - the Bishop's video is right there on the homepage, as well as a link to all of the interviews with him.

~Liza
Old Jun 13, '12, 12:50 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:

Well, they don't have anything older than 2009 on the AoD website, but I did find this old screenshot from their News section, and I don't think any AoD Archbishop has ever given any kind of endorsement to RCTV at any time. Or SMM, either:

Old Jun 13, '12, 12:56 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
Log onto the site - the Bishop's video is right there on the homepage, as well as a link to all of the interviews with him.

~Liza
I guess I still haven't latched on to the whole "video" thing. I'm always looking for the text.

Congrats on entering into a new phase of your ministry. I hope it works out well for you guys. Nice new logo.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Jun 13, '12, 12:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Mae View Post
Well, they don't have anything older than 2009 on the AoD website, but I did find this old screenshot from their News section, and I don't think any AoD Archbishop has ever given any kind of endorsement to RCTV at any time. Or SMM, either:

There ya go!

Thank you

Just as I thought.

Deacon Jeff

Tuitio Fidei et Obsequium Pauperum
Old Jun 13, '12, 1:35 pm

Religion: Christian

Can. 216 Since they participate in the mission of the Church, all the Christian faithful have the right to promote or sustain apostolic action even by their own undertakings, according to their own state and condition. Nevertheless, no undertaking is to claim the name Catholic without the consent of competent ecclesiastical authority.

Complying with Canon 216, I have modified my CAF profile to state that my religion is "Christian".
Old Jun 13, '12, 1:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynnejj View Post
Can. 216 Since they participate in the mission of the Church, all the Christian faithful have the right to promote or sustain apostolic action even by their own undertakings, according to their own state and condition. Nevertheless, no undertaking is to claim the name Catholic without the consent of competent ecclesiastical authority.

Complying with Canon 216, I have modified my CAF profile to state that my religion is "Christian".
snarky

note the word "undertaking"

Under canon law, you are not an "undertaking"

Deacon Jeff

Tuitio Fidei et Obsequium Pauperum
Old Jun 13, '12, 1:42 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Congrats on entering into a new phase of your ministry. I hope it works out well for you guys. Nice new logo.
Thanks!! I think it's pretty cool too!

~Liza
Old Jun 13, '12, 2:17 pm

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOM View Post
snarky

note the word "undertaking"

Under canon law, you are not an "undertaking"
I'm simply pointing out the difficulty of any person or enterprise self-identifying as a respectable trustworthy Catholic. We are called to evangelize, but the likelihood that we might teach some aspect of our religion in error is actually quite high. Therefore, putting the name "Catholic" to a person or an enterprise is risky business. So this call to evangelization, coupled with Canon 216, suggests that one should avoid self-identifying as a Catholic. It would be be an interesting twist of fate if Catholics came to trust respectable sources of Catholic information, such as "Eternal Word Television" or "Church Militant TV", and consider as untrustworthy such institutions as the "Catholic" university.
Old Jun 13, '12, 2:28 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
Thanks!! I think it's pretty cool too!
It does make you take note, but I was expecting something in combat green ...
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News