Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 13, '12, 4:07 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Christian- Catholic (latin rite)
Default What denominations believe in the rapture?

I know the pentecostals do. Don't the baptists (?) also do? I know my friend, who is a baptist, believes in the rapture.
Thanks.
Old Jun 13, '12, 4:15 pm

Religion: Pentecostal
Default Re: What denominations believe in the rapture?

Yes Pentecostals do. The Southern Baptist Convention's website says,

Quote:
There is no official stance in the SBC beyond what you find in the Baptist Faith and Message. The views among Southern Baptists regarding the end times are broad. If you surveyed Southern Baptists, you would likely find many who hold to the "Pre-Tribulational" view of the rapture, others who hold to a "Mid-Trib" view, some to a "Post-Trib" rapture, some who hold to historical premillennialism, and perhaps even a few who don't agree with any of these views.

Relax, stay calm, and no matter what happens don't feed the trolls.
Old Jun 13, '12, 4:19 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Christian- Catholic (latin rite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwin View Post
Ok. Thanks!
Old Jun 13, '12, 5:39 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter

Religion: Catholic Convert
Send a message via MSN to LegoGE1947 Send a message via Yahoo to LegoGE1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileyG View Post
Ok. Thanks!
Evangelical Free Church also
Old Jun 13, '12, 9:01 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I think most non-denominational churches do. I was surprised when I learned as an adult that all Christians don't believe in the rapture. I thought it was a given, agreed upon thing among Christians.

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Old Jun 14, '12, 3:58 am
Veteran Member
Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1215 View Post
I think most non-denominational churches do. I was surprised when I learned as an adult that all Christians don't believe in the rapture. I thought it was a given, agreed upon thing among Christians.
According to my understanding the "Rapture" teaching only goes back about 200 years and was unheard of before that.
Old Jun 14, '12, 4:14 am

Religion: Catholic (revert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoGE1947 View Post
According to my understanding the "Rapture" teaching only goes back about 200 years and was unheard of before that.
More like 150.
The 'rapture' was invented by a Brethren preacher in the 19th century after hearing the 'prophecies' of a woman who had mental health issues.
Old Jun 14, '12, 6:11 am
Veteran Member
Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaServant View Post
More like 150.
The 'rapture' was invented by a Brethren preacher in the 19th century after hearing the 'prophecies' of a woman who had mental health issues.
John Nelson Darby, who influenced C I Scholfield to publish his famous protestant study bible.
Old Jun 14, '12, 7:10 am

Religion: Anglican

Lutherans, Anglicans, Reformed, Presbyterians, and others reject the pretrib rapture view and are closer to the Catholic and Orthodox in their understanding of the Second Coming. There is way too much specultion these days on "prophecy" and I refuse to speculate. All I need to know is expressed in the Mystery of Faith- Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again. I think that a lot of the smaller denominations have the belief written into their statement of faith, though.
Old Jun 14, '12, 7:50 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoGE1947 View Post
I know. You are correct.

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Old Jun 23, '12, 3:57 am

Thumbs down Re: What denominations believe in the rapture?

The pre trib rapture is a misunderstanding of scripture, if you look at Matt 24:37 But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, 39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
Who was taken? Who was left?

Luke 17 talks about the same event in Matt24, it's the wicked that are taken. Luke 17 25-27 But first must he suffer many things, and be rejected of this generation. 26 And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man. 27 They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.
This is a cataclizmic event, nothing quiet about the flood or Christs return. In Verse 27 it finnishes with the flood came and destroyed them all,. So what happened to the taken? Destroyed, the righteous were left.

Gen 7.23 it reads.. Only Noah 'remained' alive. Another word for 'left'
At Christs second coming there are only two groups and this is a problem for people that believe in a secret rapture because they are creating a third group of people which flys in the face of Matt 24 37-39 and Luke 17 22-23 which talks of only two.
Rapture theroy teaches that when the rightous go in the secret rapture people are left alive here on earth, but this does not fit the flood story being, So in the days of the son of man.

Should be two groups, one lot die (wicked) and the rightious are left.
Read Exo 14:28 for an example in the bible of the word remained, who remained or was left? Exo 14:28 And the waters returned, and covered the chariots, and the horsemen, and all the host of Pharaoh that came into the sea after them; there remained not so much as one of them.
LEFT = remained/not destroyed 1 Thess 4:15-17
TAKEN = Destroyed/wicked... Taken, Over Taken and Destroyed mean the same thing....Joshua 8:8,17,21,22 Judges 1:8 Prov 5:22 Ecc 7:26 Isa 8:14-15
In Ecc 7:26 It says who pleaseth God Escapes and sinners shall be taken.

I for sure want to be left and remain for a life time with Jesus.

SDA
Old Jun 23, '12, 9:11 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly View Post
Lutherans, Anglicans, Reformed, Presbyterians, and others reject the pretrib rapture view and are closer to the Catholic and Orthodox in their understanding of the Second Coming. There is way too much specultion these days on "prophecy" and I refuse to speculate. All I need to know is expressed in the Mystery of Faith- Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again. I think that a lot of the smaller denominations have the belief written into their statement of faith, though.

Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Old Jun 23, '12, 10:48 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwin View Post
are you a pre-trib rapture believer
Old Jun 23, '12, 10:50 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADZ View Post
The pre trib rapture is a misunderstanding of scripture, if you look at Matt 24:37 But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, 39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
Who was taken? Who was left?

Luke 17 talks about the same event in Matt24, it's the wicked that are taken. Luke 17 25-27 But first must he suffer many things, and be rejected of this generation. 26 And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man. 27 They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.
This is a cataclizmic event, nothing quiet about the flood or Christs return. In Verse 27 it finnishes with the flood came and destroyed them all,. So what happened to the taken? Destroyed, the righteous were left.

Gen 7.23 it reads.. Only Noah 'remained' alive. Another word for 'left'
At Christs second coming there are only two groups and this is a problem for people that believe in a secret rapture because they are creating a third group of people which flys in the face of Matt 24 37-39 and Luke 17 22-23 which talks of only two.
Rapture theroy teaches that when the rightous go in the secret rapture people are left alive here on earth, but this does not fit the flood story being, So in the days of the son of man.

Should be two groups, one lot die (wicked) and the rightious are left.
Read Exo 14:28 for an example in the bible of the word remained, who remained or was left? Exo 14:28 And the waters returned, and covered the chariots, and the horsemen, and all the host of Pharaoh that came into the sea after them; there remained not so much as one of them.
LEFT = remained/not destroyed 1 Thess 4:15-17
TAKEN = Destroyed/wicked... Taken, Over Taken and Destroyed mean the same thing....Joshua 8:8,17,21,22 Judges 1:8 Prov 5:22 Ecc 7:26 Isa 8:14-15
In Ecc 7:26 It says who pleaseth God Escapes and sinners shall be taken.

I for sure want to be left and remain for a life time with Jesus.

SDA
so all those on raptureready and raptureintheairnow websites are waiting for something that will never happen......and if the rapture was true wouldnt it mean that Jesus would return 3 times.....and i dont read anything about his 3rd coming....
Old Jun 23, '12, 5:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigglytug View Post
so all those on raptureready and raptureintheairnow websites are waiting for something that will never happen......and if the rapture was true wouldnt it mean that Jesus would return 3 times.....and i dont read anything about his 3rd coming....
Not sure if your agreeing with me or not??
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions